DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So I started watching LU about a month ago (from the beginning) and I'm now completely current. I look forward to branching out into a new subforum!

Overall, I just love the the presentation. It's so different than any other wrestling on tv today. It's a much more focused and refined version of WSX, which I was crazy about in 2007. The cinematic "backstage" segments are great, and I love how they just throw suspension of disbelief out the window super early and never look back. You just have to accept that there's a lot of supernatural shit that goes on here. The in-ring parts have more of a "Fight Club" kind of feel, obviously with its own lucha/indy hybrid stylized violence. The main takeaway is that it's just different and after being beat down by WWE for last two years, I'm ready for that.

My quick Season 1 thoughts I'm sure no one cares about because you've all been watching this in real time:

- Puma was a great choice for company ace

- Mil/Fenix casket match was probably MOTY last year

- Angelico's dropkick spot was spot of the decade material

- I liked Mundo throughout the season, but he kicked it up a notch with his heel turn

- Big Ryck turned 3 times in ~30 hours of television (Take that Big Show)

- I totally got the vibe that Alberto did not want to job to Mundo in his last match

- They should've played up Catrina's takeover a little more, but that was great way to end season one

- My favorites were Mil, Puma, Pentagon (who probably top everyone's list), and my underrated fave was Cage

- Only guys I didn't care for were Chavo, Demon, and Daivari

Catching up on Season 2:

I like the new temple setup with Catrina and Mil running things. It's a great way to differentiate the second the season from the first. The seasonal format offers a lot of advantages that wrestling companies don't get. One of the biggest things is giving Ivellise time to heal. I thought their trios team was well built, but Ivellise literally having to wrestle with a broken ankle put a damper on their run. Here, she comes out of the gates firing with the triple threat win and about as respectable a showing against Mil as she could get. The writers were definitely wise to have her supplant Sexy Star as the lead female face. The pop when she finally beats down Catrina will be insane, I'm guessing.

I'm not sure why they had Pentagon break Mil's arm on the first show. It was a cool moment in the heat of things and tells the fans "hey were not gonna fuck around this guy you like this season," but it seemed like maybe too much. Since Mil is now the god-king of the temple, it's not like he really needs an excuse to sit around for weeks at a time not doing anything. I'm sure the eventual Mil/Pentagon match will be badass.

The Gift of the Gods booking is a little erratic thus far, but Cuerno and Fenix are having some good matches out of it. I was hoping for a slower burn with Cuerno eventually manning up to Catrina and Mil. I guess that could still happen. I'm sure some people want more from Cuerno, but for now, he'd be a pretty perfect "first credible guy to stand up to the bully and lose."

The Reyes/Joey Ryan UC story is beyond ridiculous, but it's exactly the kind of thing I love about LU. Plus it's a good way of establishing important characters without needing them to get a lot of wins. They can spend weeks out-stooging each other, and they're still in good position to be credible when the want to pay off the bust or whatever they're going for. Not sure why they're hanging around the temple when it's pretty obvious Cueto's not around, though.

The Dario/Lotus stuff is also delightfully absurd. They could go any number of ways, but it seems like Dario using Matanza to get his temple back, only to have Matanza become even more destructive and worse than Mil Muertes would be a fitting payoff. I do hope they find someone up to the task of playing Matanza, because with all the hype surrounding that character, a lackluster worker in that spot would be damaging to the company.

• Like 3

The Dario/Lotus stuff is also delightfully absurd. They could go any number of ways, but it seems like Dario using Matanza to get his temple back, only to have Matanza become even more destructive and worse than Mil Muertes would be a fitting payoff. I do hope they find someone up to the task of playing Matanza, because with all the hype surrounding that character, a lackluster worker in that spot would be damaging to the company.

This so much. I prefer guys giving chances to figure out what they're doing, but the build up they've given to Matanza means those first few minutes where he appears are going to be the most pivotal moments of the season - and maybe this entire show? That character has to work and work immediately. 

I liked your post. It didn't occur to me that Ivelisse has surpassed Sexy Star but, now thinking back, I think you're right. 

Following up on Go2Sleep's post, I think the first Angelico dive might be my favorite high spot ever.  Not only because of how spectacular it was, but because of the gravity behind it.  You had the team that hated each other, and Angelico literally risks life and limb to save Ivelisse from a 3 on 1, even if it took himself out of the match.  It cemented that trio is probably my favorite act on the show, and made me really appreciate how much they made sure those big spots really mean something.

• Like 1

Apparently LU was able to get a TV contract in France and will start airing in April.

I hope this is just the beginning. I doubt they will ever get one here, but I'm surprised they don't have one in the UK, yet.

• Like 1

You really don't want to see more of Shane Strickland. 

I've been seeing this sentiment a lot and maybe because I don't watch CZW, but what exactly is the deal about him? Like, I was impressed with his match against Mundo and he seems unoffensive in the other Killshot matches from last season. I get why people don't like Sexy Star, but people here make Shane Strickland out to be Davey Richards or something.

He's just as bad as Davey Richards, but in different ways. The set-up time on his moves is ridiculous, most of his offense looks like he's hurting himself far more than his opponent (in LU he does a move that genuinely just looks like he is giving himself a powerslam), many of his terrible mirror sequences feel like he's actually doing a parody of bad indy wrestling mirror sequences, he has some of the most blatant thigh slaps I've ever seen, he has no clue how to build to anything meaningful, he pointlessly sets up moves with 360 spins, except he seems like he gets dizzy during these spins as he often ends up stopping short of his opponent, and because he's bad at these 360s he also does them very slowwwwwwly, he gets wildly out of place for his opponents' offense, he often appears lost in the middle of matches...

The thing about this is that dude is still young and has a lot to learn. And yeah, maybe this is too big of a role for him too soon, but he clearly has athletic ability and he clearly has potential to be a great worker. Maybe a trip to Japan would benefit him like it did Ricochet and Matt Sydal. That is why I am giving him a pass and am nowhere near as hard on him. 

How the fuck are there not 1000 posts marking out for that ladder match?

Fun moment from ringside:  When they're setting up that spot that mirrored Cuerno's death by table in the last luchador standing match, my buddy John says "Look out Cuerno he's trying to do that shit to you again!"

Cuerno looks over at him and yells "I KNOW!"

• Like 4

I still don't know how to do youtube video embedding properly here.

This is a LA Tourism commercial briefly showcasing Lucha Underground, with Prince Puma doing an insane dive off the office.

This was a secret extra LU taping that I was very happy to be a part of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL9kPmXUckg&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

To my complete shock the Famous B number (in Tromataker's sig) is indeed real.  Time to make myself famous!

Fun episode.  I know people hate on Kobra Moon, but I get what she's going for.  And considering who she is without the mask the mask/outfit make her much more attractive than her real life counterpart.  I sensed without any stips Pentagon/Puma was going to lead to this kind of result.  The setup for the triple threat was awesome and I can't wait to see what happens (definitely saw Tromataker getting Cero Miedo'd from Pumo)  The ladder match had some weird stop/start moments that led to a weird flow at first.  But the high-impact moments looked brutal, something I'll need to re-watch for sure.  Liked the call-back to the death by ladder spot.

Agreed on the ladder match. Too disjointed and they hated Chekhov's gun, as it felt like a number of spots were set up without a payoff. Still fun and not without its merit but it could've been tighter.

All on board the Famous B express though.

The ladder match was disappointing. Felt like they spent too much time setting up spots than actually executing those spots. I don't know who's laying out these matches, but it doesn't seem like it's the same person that was there last season. 

I really wanted to like that match more but I've got to agree that it was disjointed. It's too bad cause Fenix kills himself in these big matches. Still good stuff and all-around great episode. Definitely saw the Ciero Miedo from Puma and he continues to be my favourite guy by far. Though I must say that the neutral crowd doesn't bother me anymore since I've been imagining that Lucha Underground is an underground fight club ala Bloodsport or Best of the Best (II?). People there want blood and destruction - they don't care who the good guys and bad guys are. 

Piggy-backing off of what people were saying earlier, I've also felt the return has been below expectations but I don't know if I just set those expectations too high over the break. I also don't know if it takes time for them to hit their groove, I only started watching at Azteca Warfare last year after a friend's recommendation so missed everything before then. Despite this, it still ranks high on my weekly to-watch list.

Good. I'm glad.

There was going to be an inevitable downswing in quality after Ultima Lucha. That was legitimately one of my favourite wrestling shows I've ever seen in my life and I've spent way too much time throughout my years watching wrestling. It's all about the crescendo and I have faith that they'll follow roughly the same highs and lows as last year. The start of this season is already much better than last because the season two premiere was one of the best they've done.

And Shao Kahn-Muertes.

While I still love this part of the season, there's a ramp up (and larger use of more people and TONS OF INSANE SHIT) once Aztec Warfare hits.  It's almost like a different season after that.

I think that's what I'm waiting for the most.  So far it hasn't happened yet, and I hate to say it's been disappointing so far.  But I want fucked up shit to happen and the crowd going absolutely apeshit.  We get these elements so far, but I want more.  If I have to wait three weeks then fine, so long as it happens.

Not a big ladder match fan but this one was alright. Bumps were big enough, especially the last one. I actually liked the crowd brawling most of all with the Big Japan-style flying into the chairs from Fenix. Cuerno is a little too methodical (read: slow) in the match I thought though, though that is his character. And man, have they really amped up the audio sweetening this season...

I think the ladder match was the least of the Cuerno/Fenix matches this season. Outside of Cureno's sweet-sounding kicks, there wasn't much in the way of good filler to balance out the obvious spot setups. The opening dive with Cuerno obviously moving the ladder and both guys not even attempting a transition to the truss-hanging spot were particularly glaring. Still some positives here, though, like Fenix's dive over the ladder and his disgusting bump into the ladder from the stands (Vampiro's line "he just broke his ass" made it).

Pentagon/Puma was fun despite the obvious finish. Mil was very effective in his short time, and I'm liking the tease of a power struggle between Mil and Catrina.

Rey being cast as a wise old kung fu master is hilarious to me. I might have missed something obvious, but who is playing Dragon Azteca 2.0?