DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

An average show this week but my favorite scene in the short history of the promotion at the end! That was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AMAZING! Especially as the world's biggest Rey Jr mark. :D

For some reason this week I noticed the editing so much more. Mundo/Killshot looked like they had their match chopped in half, especially early on. It was really bothering me during the main event when in a 30 second stretch they cut to Katrina like 5 times and every time they cut back to the ring the guys were in different places. Excessive. Best match was probably the main event though.

The Marty skit was great. So happy he's coming back. And easily the best use of Sexy Star yet. She's GREAT at being tied to a chair!

I guess they had to do the Kobra Moon skit this week since she's debuting next week but it was weird to see that immediatly after basically the same skit with PJ Black... who I presume is a guy who rides his bike on the open road looking for dudes to meet at motels? Maybe I misunderstood.

Too much good to call it a bad show but the in-ring was definitely lacking this week. Still that last segment... wow. Mind blowing~!

Good show, not a great show as noted by several earlier in the thread.  I thought this was the best Killshot has ever looked, but as also noted earlier that match was chopped to hell prior to airing.  Maybe tromataker can clue us in if the full live match was a dumpster fire.

Since I watch this show with my 6 year-old daughter (and geez El Rey, do you have to show commercials for gory movies EVERY SINGLE BREAK) she was especially happy to see both an extended vignette with Sexy Star ("Marty the Moth looks fat.  Was he this fat before?") and a vignette introducing a new luchadora.  I think Kobra Moon is supposed to be a cat burglar or something?  I thought this vignette was a bit weak compared to some of the others they'd done introducing new talent, but I like her look.  No idea if she's any good in the ring of course, but it would be nice to have another decent female worker in the company, Ivelisse can't carry all that burden herself.

I actually liked the fact they gave PJ Black a neat introductory vignette, let him look good and connect with the crowd in his debut, and then lose.  Like last week's opener with King Cuerno and Fenix, the unpredictability of the show can be used to good effect and this was the case here.

I don't know what the hell is going on with Pentagon, but I like the fact that he writers clearly recognize he was the most "over" guy on the roster and are finally booking his appropriately.  This Pentagon is not going to put Sexy Star over cleanly or struggle with SuperFly.  I'd love to see a prolonged feud with him and Prince Puma, who amazes me every time he's in the ring.  The guy is an insane talent.  Absent Konan though, he's really limited because he doesn't speak - well, he doesn't speak when anyone can hear him, but of course he was jawing with Pentagon in the ring all night.  Is Ricochet awful on the mic?  To have such a captivating in-ring performer and no interviews or mouthpiece seems like an awful waste of potential.

I think Catrina is fantastic and the Disciples of Death are awful.  They were better in this match that they have been historically, they've made some effort to work out some new spots, but still...meh...they don't even use their individual names, even the Villanos had numbers.  If Mil Muertes needs henchmen they can do better than this.

Still...bring on next week!

Killshot has improved by leaps and bounds this season.  The Mundo match was what you got on TV - a bunch of cool shit.

You're not going to believe me but Sexy Star HAS ONE OF THE BEST MATCHES THIS SEASON

Which means now, there's nobody that comes out and I'm like OH FUCK NOT THIS GUY/GIRL.  Everyone brings it this season.

There's also a new agent this season, and I think he might deserve some of the credit.

Killshot has improved by leaps and bounds this season.  The Mundo match was what you got on TV - a bunch of cool shit.

That's really exciting to hear.  He seemed to have good athleticism last season but his actual wrestling was sloppy as heck.  He's had 6 months to work on his shortcomings though and I always love hearing how someone recognizes the opportunity they have and works to correct their flaws.

You're not going to believe me but Sexy Star HAS ONE OF THE BEST MATCHES THIS SEASON

You're right, I don't believe it.  I was hoping she'd spend the whole season in a well at Marty the Moth's house rubbing lotion on her skin hoping not to get the hose again.

Which means now, there's nobody that comes out and I'm like OH FUCK NOT THIS GUY/GIRL. 

So no Pimpenella Escarlata this year?  

The Melissa thing is funny because we're having this same discussion every five pages. It was a great Groundhog's Day tribute.

Striker mentioned Konnan has never been seen again after being stuck in the casket late last season. It really didn't feel like the character write off when it happened, but Striker made it seem as though Konnan's not coming back. It's jarring if you've watched Ultima Lucha, where they're pushing the idea that Konnan not being in Puma's corner might have cost him the match. Something happened.

Ricochet is not bad at talking, but has an accent that doesn't quite fit with Prince Puma's Hispanic character. It's a tricky situation but one they address.

I'm that rube paying $20+ extra a month just for El Rey on DirecTV. I rationalize it by telling myself that the plan is still much cheaper than what I was getting from Comcast, but it's still total bullshit. Especially since it's not even offered in HD. My TV pretty much stays on El Rey as long as they're marathoning movies, LU, or Miami Vice, though.

Didn't expect this week's ep to be as good as last week's - how could it be - but it was still great television nonetheless. Loved how they defied expectations and had PJ lose but still come off as legit through the packaging and announcing. I get that there's plenty of stuff with LU that's non-translatable to other shows, but this sort of basic booking/promotion could improve just about any company out there.

The end, of course, was super mark-out worthy. Started fist-pumping as soon as I heard that voice.

Whoever said they're getting Gaga vibes off of Catrina from her looks and some of her demeanor - yes, I thought the same thing, and in a good way. Especially after this past ridiculous American Horror Story season.

Is Ricochet awful on the mic?  To have such a captivating in-ring performer and no interviews or mouthpiece seems like an awful waste of potential.

He's not Mexican and working as a Mexican from Boyle Heights, and I'm not entirely sure he speaks Spanish.  They're keeping the gimmick.

Trying to figure out who Kobra Moon is.

Cheerleader Melissa, I think.

No. It took me about 15 seconds to figure it out from ringside but I'm not gonna blow anyone's identity for them since its so fun to try and figure that stuff out

Granted I'm not that smart about certain wrestling scenes, but I know the identity of Kobra Moon and yet, I still have no idea who she is.

Is Ricochet awful on the mic?  To have such a captivating in-ring performer and no interviews or mouthpiece seems like an awful waste of potential.

He's not Mexican and working as a Mexican from Boyle Heights, and I'm not entirely sure he speaks Spanish.  They're keeping the gimmick.

Drago isn't really a dragon. People can overlook a lot in the interest of suspension of disbelief. I dunno, it just feels like they've really limited his ability to connect with the crowd.