DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Interesting tidbit from the Wash Post in regards to how the Skins got Norman

Basically Norman's agent (well now former agent) was fucking around in negotiations so when the Panthers announced they were rescinding the tag Norman was all WTF?

He fired his agent and then called the Panthers and said he was sign the franchise tag right now but the Panthers had already filed the paperwork and couldn't tag it back.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/how-one-of-the-nfls-best-cornerbacks-suddenly-ended-up-with-the-redskins/2016/04/24/03f1aa62-0a57-11e6-bfa1-4efa856caf2a_story.html

The news blindsided Norman. He was not informed about how far apart George and the Panthers stood on a long-term deal and at least figured he would be on the team in 2016.

As a last-ditch effort, Norman called the Panthers to find a resolution. He said that he would fire his agent and sign the $13.9 million franchise tender, according to a person with knowledge of the situation, but the paperwork to rescind the franchise tender had already been filed to the league.

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Interesting tidbit from the Wash Post in regards to how the Skins got Norman

Basically Norman's agent (well now former agent) was fucking around in negotiations so when the Panthers announced they were rescinding the tag Norman was all WTF?

He fired his agent and then called the Panthers and said he was sign the franchise tag right now but the Panthers had already filed the paperwork and couldn't tag it back.

Ouch. Live and learn, I guess, but man, what a shitty way to get burned by a stupid agent.

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Ouch. Live and learn, I guess, but man, what a shitty way to get burned by a stupid agent.

This leads to another question which I don't know the answer to. Do teams always only talk to the agents and never to the players directly? I know that is what agents are for, to do the dirty work, but I am surprised the Panthers didn't call Norman and be like "so hey, we are going to take off the tag, we can't get a deal with your agent" before doing so since he was such a big part of the team. Unless that is just never done in the NFL.

• Like 1

That and think of it the other way around.  Teams who don't like how negotiations are going could just run to the player, lay on some line of BS about how the agent isn't doing what's best for them, and con the player into signing a bad deal.  No agent in the world would be okay with it if that sort of thing was allowed.

Adam Schefter is reporting that the favorite to host the 2017 NFL Draft is. . .

Philadelphia.

I'd compare the potential Eagles fans reaction with those of Giants/Jets fans in New York, but Philly doesn't have a #1 next year, so I'm guessing it wouldn't be the same.