DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

19 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

6/139, 87(!) guaranteed.

It's a deal I would hate for someone as questionable as he is - yeah that's right - but I suppose it's a deal you have to make.

Without major o-line upgrades it's not gonna be a good investment.

When he breaks his leg and is in such a catastrophic impact because of it that he can no longer grow a neck-beard, his career is over.

Saw a thing today that said, when he finally retires, Matthew Stafford will have made more money than any player in NFL history.  Current record holder is HGH Manning at $248m.

On 7/1/2016 at 0:27 AM, Tabe said:

Saw a thing today that said, when he finally retires, Matthew Stafford will have made more money than any player in NFL history.  Current record holder is HGH Manning at $248m.

Is this assuming he doesn't get injured and gets 100% of his current contract? On this list he still has a lot of people in front of him, still has a ways to go to catch Eli. Brady must feel deflated to be behind the QB that cost him two rings.

Not saying he won't make the most, I guess that list only does literally what they have earned and isn't factoring in future guaranteed money.

Well, he had one good year making nothing in New England, got paid for it; then, dumped around a bunch of times and people kept paying him for "reasons". I guess he's better to have as a backup than some other options out there. With a career QB Rating of 79.3, there's shittier guys that have made that much money.

Similar Players. Sounds about right.

Career Scott Mitchell, Bobby Douglass, Bob Berry, Mark Rypien, Doug Flutie, James Harris, Elvis Grbac, Don Majkowski, Eric Hipple, Jay Fiedler

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Ryan said:

You have to lower your standards to fit the Cassel scale. 79.3 for him is like a 130 for anyone else. :-D

Or because TD passes are so cheap in this era, his only two worthwhile seasons still add up to a 48-18 TD/INT ratio, which is going to trump most of those guys from twenty years ago. Hell, even Elway's career passer rating was only 79.9 because he was never an absolute monster TD pass guy and he didn't ever put up the cute completion percentages any starter can dink and dunk his way to in today's passer-friendly paradise.  Whatever year Bono threw 21 TD passes for the top seed Chiefs that got bounced by Captain Comeback's Colts; well, Bono throwing 21 TD passes in '95 is as phony and cheap as Cassel's 27 TD passes for the 2010 Chiefs that got their faces ripped off in the Wild Card Round by the Ravens. As for Grbac, he probably belongs more in the wasted potential pile with guys like Jim Everett than the same jabronie casserole as Bono and Cassel. In 2000 and 2001, Jeff Garcia had 30 TD passes in back-to-back seasons; something neither Montana nor Young ever did. That's a good starting point for when passing numbers started to get inflated that a nice player (who was a Cleveland Brown within three seasons of that feat) could accomplish milestones that legends were never able to.  

I still blame slow motion HD with cameras at every angle. If games from the 1970s and 1980s were shown as clearly as we watch football today we'd probably see all kinds of shit we don't agree with that was missed. Its a bang/bang play, there isn't always going to be a 100% correct answer that 100% of people agree with every time no matter how the rules are written. I am more concerned when the referees have time-clock issues or when one crew during a game calls PI radically inconsistency, not micro-second type calls like that. I mean sure if a call goes against the Bills like that I roll my eyes but they aren't the type of calls that get me up in a tizzy.

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Congratulations NFL... tip toe catches are no longer receptions.

I eagerly await @Tabe telling us how the catch rule has been completely clarified now. 

Nah, even I'm baffled. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I still blame slow motion HD with cameras at every angle. If games from the 1970s and 1980s were shown as clearly as we watch football today we'd probably see all kinds of shit we don't agree with that was missed. Its a bang/bang play, there isn't always going to be a 100% correct answer that 100% of people agree with every time no matter how the rules are written. I am more concerned when the referees have time-clock issues or when one crew during a game calls PI radically inconsistency, not micro-second type calls like that. I mean sure if a call goes against the Bills like that I roll my eyes but they aren't the type of calls that get me up in a tizzy.

Very true. With modern replay, the Immaculate Reception is almost certainly overturned based on the rules of the time. 

I say we go back and retcon all football history with any footage they have and take away guy's rings, trophies and salary there-in. It will be Goodell's final triumph. Final, as in he will be found buried under the Meadowlands within a month of this.

• Like 1