DVDVR Message Board

2013 NFL Preseason

Dolfan in NYC

Say whatever else you want to about Andy Reid, but he is pretty much without question the best head coach in Eagles history.

(To steal a Bill Simmons joke...  Cut to Eagles fans nodding sadly.)

Say whatever else you want to about Andy Reid, but he is pretty much without question the best head coach in Eagles history.

(To steal a Bill Simmons joke...  Cut to Eagles fans nodding sadly.)

Somebody older than me must remember what Buddy Ryan was like.

Plus, who knows what would have been - had they not been jobbed out to the fog.

Ryan was good, but didn't have the loads of outstanding assistants that Reid had.  Vermeil was good as well, being the only other Coach that brought us to the SuperBowl, but he wasn't around long enough to cement a good HC legacy in Philly.

Yes, Reid was the best, and most successful, HC the Eagles ever had.  Yeah Ryan brought us to the playoffs a lot, but Reid hung a lot of banners in The Linc.  

Now, like I said, with Reid's massive decline in recent years, his success could've been all due to a crop of excellent assistant coaches (especially Johnson, who until he died had the Eagles as one of the best Defenses in the League).  

Much as Eagles fans hate Reid for the last few years of mediocrity, he drug the team out of the deep pit that the combination of Kotite/Rhodes inflicted on us.

It's the "without question" part I would argue.

But of course - I also put Dick Vermeil ahead of Buddy Ryan

It's tough to compare pure numbers because Reid's tenure dwarfed everyone else.

Games Coached

Reid - 224

Greasy Neale - 111

Vermeil - 101

Ryan - 79

Actually - Neale is probably the right answer but none of us have any clue about the late 40s so I am thinking "Super Bowl Era"

But yeah - Vermeil got them to the Super Bowl (their first), won Coach of the Year (like Reid) and could have easily have kept going but instead retired citing "burnout"

The Dolphins lose WR Armon Binns for the year. Whoever he is.

Posted Image

Picked up off waivers of the Bengals near the end of the season. Some hoped he'd be a secret weapon of sorts.  Oh well...

• Like 2

Vonta Leach is back with the Ravens.

Eagles lose LB Jason Phillips for the year with a torn ACL. Career stats suggest he won't be missed.

Blaine Gabbert may have a sprained ankle.

Bears LT Jermon Bushrod is day-to-day with a calf strain.

For all the flack he took for his play against Alabama and the Lennay Kekua debacle, Manti Te'o seems to be doing well with San Diego and even found time to teacher former nemeis/current teammate D.J. Fluker how to swim:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/manti-te-o-helped-fellow-chargers-rookie-d-170127651.html

San Diego might have been the best place for him, away from the national spotlight, and where he can let his  gme rewrite his reputation. . . .

Eh, whenever his name is mentioned people will always think about his made up girlfriend that he had killed.  It doesn't matter how well he plays defense.  Hell, for as great as Ray Lewis was on the field and how genuine he came off on camera, it's still split about 50/50 on whether people talk about his greatness when his name comes up or if someone mentions that he stabbed a guy. 

Hey, now, Stabby McStabberson only obstructed justice in a case where some guy was stabbed to death, and then rolled over on his buddies, who were, unlike Stabby, acquitted, and McStabberson remains the only man convicted of any crime in said stabbing death.

Hey, now, Stabby McStabberson only obstructed justice in a case where some guy was stabbed to death, and then rolled over on his buddies, who were, unlike Stabby, acquitted, and McStabberson remains the only man convicted of any crime in said stabbing death.

I heard so many times before. . .yet the story stays the same.  When will it change?  Not now, not ever.  The end.

*rattles tin cup for quarters*

Ugh, if the NFL Network can only fill their training camp coverage time by recycling the same thing over and over, why do it? You have a ridiculous backlog of classic games you could throw on.

Right but my point is how he's remembered.

One guy was involved in a murder and the other is a dope with an imaginary girlfriend. People have already moved on. A year from now only a few will even care. This is especially true if he plays well. This isn't to say that even the douchebags at Deadspin will have moved on, or you won't have fans for the opposing team when San Diego is on the road trying to get into Manti's head, but most everyone else will be focused on whatever else is the hot-button topic. For example, freaking Johnny Manziel has received more coverage for trolling other college kids than Aaron Hernandez as of late, while coverage and exposure for Hernandez has slowed to a near trickle. Since Manti's so called life had the attention of the nation, I would guess that there have been at least 30 stories to garner mass-attention, with each new story burying the ones that came before it more and more.

One guy was involved in a murder and the other is a dope with an imaginary girlfriend. People have already moved on. A year from now only a few will even care. This is especially true if he plays well. This isn't to say that even the douchebags at Deadspin will have moved on, or you won't have fans for the opposing team when San Diego is on the road trying to get into Manti's head, but most everyone else will be focused on whatever else is the hot-button topic. For example, freaking Johnny Manziel has received more coverage for trolling other college kids than Aaron Hernandez as of late, while coverage and exposure for Hernandez has slowed to a near trickle. Since Manti's so called life had the attention of the nation, I would guess that there have been at least 30 stories to garner mass-attention, with each new story burying the ones that came before it more and more.

People should bring up how gullible Manti Teo is anytime he gets fooled by a play-action pass or other trick play.

• Like 1