DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

Ironic that a vast portion of my childhood was spent watching kaiju, and now in my adult years, TEPCO equity has resulted in my most profitable venture yet. Of course, I still believe the argument that nuclear energy is the best alternative to fossil fuels given the current costs and inefficiencies on renewables. Damnit, I want Gamera's reboot origins to center on the prohibitive expenses of solar energy and how it's impacting tortoise migration patterns. But I digress.

Gamera wasn't exactly our buddy and friend to kids and puppies very first movie.  Gamera was tweaked to be a heroic figure around the same time Godzilla was.

I really don't mind a return to giant monsters beating the shit out of each other, but the idea of a somewhat somber Godzilla movie doesn't bug me either because the first movie wasn't made with humor or mirth in mind.  

It was supposed to provoke and scare the shit out of you.  Godzilla was a walking, breathing, nuclear war and it was pissed off. 

The thing is that Godzilla as presented in 1954, IMO, is a very much a relic of the Cold War and no one today is really frightened by the original concepts the monster was supposed to embody. 

People today have better recollection of heroic Godzilla trashing space monsters so why not bring that back if you are aiming for the nostalgia dollarz?

My only issue with the trailer is if Godzilla is hundreds of feet tall and spewing radioactive phlegm, what's the point of parachuting a couple of Marines in to combat him? Where's the oxygen destroyer? Where's the X-3? And most important of all, where's Raymond Burr to give us redundant expositions?

My only issue with the trailer is if Godzilla is hundreds of feet tall and spewing radioactive phlegm, what's the point of parachuting a couple of Marines in to combat him? Where's the oxygen destroyer? Where's the X-3? And most important of all, where's Raymond Burr to give us redundant expositions?

Its a teaser trailer, man.   Wait for the one that pretty much sums up the entire movie and gives away the ending like we don't know what's going to happen already.  

That should be out by February.

Maybe they are trying to extract something... 

The 98 Godzilla movie was on this afternoon so I watched it. It seems like a pretty decent monster movie, but making it an asexual egg laying lizard was probably a bit too much of a departure. That being said, I hope the new movie doesn't make him some sort of sentient monster that fights moths and crabs because I'm excited for this and if it turns into more japanese masturbatory nonsense I'll be severely disappointed.

The 98 Godzilla movie was on this afternoon so I watched it. It seems like a pretty decent monster movie, but making it an asexual egg laying lizard was probably a bit too much of a departure. That being said, I hope the new movie doesn't make him some sort of sentient monster that fights moths and crabs because I'm excited for this and if it turns into more japanese masturbatory nonsense I'll be severely disappointed.

SHIT

OPINIONS

• Like 4

I was only 12 or 13 when 98 Godzilla came out, and up until that point every movie theater trip had been a wonderful experience. G98 changed all that, first film I ever watched that halfway through I realized I had been scammed out of time and money. Even Phantom Menance took two viewings to catch the snake oil.

SHIT

OPINIONS

I usually find something to enjoy in every movie. In this case, a great b-cast and everyone thinking Broderick was a stud. Also the initial rampage was great too.

If you're referring to the"moths and crabs" part of my comment, I don't think any normal person finds the original Godzilla movies anything other than terrible nonsense.