DVDVR Message Board

Кубок Mира 2018 (World Cup '18)

Death From Above

Not that Canada had any real hope of getting out of World Cup qualifying, but drawing both Mexico and Honduras pretty much seals that dream in a tomb for another cycle.

Italy and Spain draw the same group in Europe which feels to me like the first time I can ever remember Italy not being the best team in their group by a distance.

Group A: Netherlands, France, Sweden, Bulgaria, Belarus, Luxembourg

Group B: Portugal, Switzerland, Hungary, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Andorra

Group C: Germany, Czech Republic, NORTHERN IRELAND, Norway, Azerbaijan, San Marino

Group D: WALES, Austria, Serbia, REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, Moldova, Georgia

Group E: Romania, Denmark, Poland, Montenegro, Armenia, Kazakhstan

Group F: ENGLAND, Slovakia, SCOTLAND, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta

Group G: Spain, Italy, Albania, Israel, FYR Macedonia, Liechtenstein

Group H: Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Greece, Estonia, Cyprus

Group I: Croatia, Iceland, Ukraine, Turkey, Finland

Group F: ENGLAND, Slovakia, SCOTLAND, Slovenia, Lithuania, Malta

Scotland with a decent chance of qualifying? Never!

Oooh... maybe Ireland can qualify!

I dunno, Wales are a lot stronger than they used to be, and Austria have been a fucking force in Euro qualification. And it's not even like second in the group guarantees you a play-off spot either.

Slovakia vs Slovenia though. I bet they hate each other, based on constantly being mistaken for one another. Like the Swiss hate the Swedish.

• 2 weeks later...

Australia got the best of both worlds:

1- They play better competition in their group with teams like South Korea, Japan, and even slightly weaker teams like Iran around. Helps them grow.

2- They have a direct qualifying path, avoiding the dreaded "Oceana vs. Pretty Good South American Team" in a playoff for one slot scenario.

Really a pretty sweet deal for them. Hard to knock that hustle.

Just for the record - they draw for those two random WC spots

So yes this year it is Oceania winner vs. the 5th place CONMEBOL team but its not assured to be that way

For example - Mexico beat New Zealand (and it is almost always New Zealand now) to get into the 2014 WC

• 4 weeks later...

Canada beats Belize 3-0 tonight, not that any of the sports networks here bothered to show the damned game.

Jamaica is down 2-0 at halftime at home to Nicaragua. That would make Costa Rica and Panama's road to the hex ridiculously easy.

• Like 1

The CONCACAF 4th Round (aka semis) Groups are set

Group A

Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Canada

Group B

Costa Rica, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica

Group C

US, T&T, Guatemala, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines

Top 2 in each group advance to the Hex

EDIT - First matches are in Nov. Good Lord and this round runs all the way to fucking Sept 2016. This is as bad as election season.

Canada should finish ahead of El Salvador. Canada's biggest problems are 1) we suck at soccer and 2) CONCACAF officials are more corrupt than Nick Patrick when he was the nWo ref. The Americans have enough talent to overcome that, we don't.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...