DVDVR Message Board

Jon Jones Formally Reinstated Back into UFC; Return Date Being Discussed

hammerva

You guys act like we judge boxers like we judge everyone else.  Boxers have been able to go to jail, beat their wives, act unseemly, and do just about whatever the hell they've felt like since day one.  As long as they're good at kicking ass, as a society we really never hold them accountable.  If you think about it, it kind of makes sense.  Boxers are generally people who are poor, uneducated, and have no other professional options.  No one decides to dedicate their lives to be punched in the face if they have other marketable skills. I remember my cousin wanted to take up boxing and my uncle told him "Your cousing Earnie was a boxer, and now he has slurred speech," and refused to let him box. Boxing just isn't a life people with a lot of options choose, then again crime isn't a life people with a lot of options choose.

Hope Daniel Cormier is ready to make weight two weeks early.

Also to be perfectly honest, if the UFC lets the fight go through I'm not going to rage and boycott while I'm sure plenty of cackling morons online will...still think it would be a bad idea.  

Let me just put it this way for the UFC, is a champion who is partying and smoking weed and already jeopardizing your fight four weeks out someone you really want to be headlining right now?  What if Jones failed a test for this fight as well after the hysteria of the cocaine test and how that went?   Need to pull him from the fight and strip him of the title immediately.

Bob Bennett said he has passed all the tests so far. I believe Belfort and AJ were tested the other day. Going forward might be a different story.

If they are taking Lawrence Epstein with them, I get the feeling they ain't going just to say hi.

They have to look at the ramifications of this. There are advantages and disadvantages of letting him stay on versus dropping the hammer. At the end of the day, they are going to do whatever is advantageous for them and not Jon. So remember that.

Strip Jones of the title, do an interim title fight between Johnson and Cormier, then have the Jon Jones comeback story where he fights one guy and then he goes after the title he never lost.

UFC looks good because they stripped him of the title but they really don't lose anything in terms of PPV main events.

Jones stripped of the title, Johnson vs. Cromier for the belt.

He messed up one too many times.  This gives him a chance to 'straighten out' (assuming he can) then have a massive fight down the road, maybe as soon as the end of the year if he gets the legal stuff taken care of.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Jon-Jones-042815?utm_campaign=UFC&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sprout&utm_content=1430277510

UFC announced that it has suspended Jon Jones indefinitely and stripped him of the light heavyweight title as a result of violations of the organization’s Athlete Code of Conduct Policy. Jones was recently arrested in Albuquerque, N.M. on a felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving personal injury. As a result of the charge and other violations of the Athlete Code of Conduct Policy, the organization believes it is best to allow Jones time to focus on his pending legal matters.

UFC feels strongly that its athletes must uphold certain standards both in and out of the Octagon. While there is disappointment in the recent charges, the organization remains supportive of Jones as he works through the legal process.

With this decision, UFC has determined that No. 1 contender Anthony Johnson will now fight No. 3 contender Daniel Cormier for the UFC light heavyweight championship at UFC 187 on May 23 in Las Vegas.

America is an amazing place.  Any decent society would ban Tyson from any sort of participation again.  You think dressing up like Dracula was an affront to Tyson's dignity?  I think Tyson being on the Kimmel show should be an affront to ours.

Usually, in cases like that, it can be both.

And also, we can change the channel. There is other shit on television.

I didn't even know about it until you made it an issue with your added racial commentary.  Of course I don't watch late-night TV or follow boxing anymore, so my knowledge of Tyson's current movements are limited to the Hangover movies and his Broadway show.

America is an amazing place.  Any decent society would ban Tyson from any sort of participation again.  You think dressing up like Dracula was an affront to Tyson's dignity?  I think Tyson being on the Kimmel show should be an affront to ours.

Usually, in cases like that, it can be both.

And also, we can change the channel. There is other shit on television.

I didn't even know about it until you made it an issue with your added racial commentary.  Of course I don't watch late-night TV or follow boxing anymore, so my knowledge of Tyson's current movements are limited to the Hangover movies and his Broadway show.

I didn't really make an issue. You're either going discuss it or not.

Also it's been reported after fleeing he returned to get a big bag of money out of the car then fleed again.  

Well, at least they've got the next Reebok ad done.

Via Rovell, Reebok has terminated Jones' deal. Wow.

Aw, shucks.

On last night's Breaking News audio update on F4W, Meltzer stated that the lawyer did most of the talking for Jon in the meeting with Dana, Lorenzo, and Epstein. I am guessing that the lawyer didn't paint a rosey picture of the situation. Even though Dana told that one ABQ reporter that the meeting went good, I doubt there was a shred of optimism before it.

Yeah, I should have probably put an asterisk next to that. Meltzer always sounds really heated about Jon Jones ever since someone brought up the race thing about 2 or 3 years back. It has gotten hilarious at this point because he never sounds that passionate when discussing pro wrestlers unless it's bashing booking. That really got under his skin.

• Like 1