DVDVR Message Board

Jon Jones Formally Reinstated Back into UFC; Return Date Being Discussed

hammerva

So how exactly would Jon Jones explain his car being at the scene of an accident if he wasn't driving?

He's innocent until proven guilty.  Jones doesn't have to explain anything.  unless they can prove that he was operating the motor vehicle at the time of the accident, they don't have a case.

So how exactly would Jon Jones explain his car being at the scene of an accident if he wasn't driving?

He's innocent until proven guilty.  Jones doesn't have to explain anything.  unless they can prove that he was operating the motor vehicle at the time of the accident, they don't have a case.

From a legal perspective this is spot on of course. From a 'Jones is in an international company with sponsors' perspective, it will be hard for the UFC to use him in a month if Jones says nothing as it will make him look extremely guilty in the public's eye. Sports teams have suspended/fired people before a trial even takes place so he could lose a lot of money with saying nothing and just waiting for trial.  And if there is an eye witness even if he is ultimately found innocent, I would think his car+at least one eye witness+taking time to turn himself in would at least be enough evidence to have a trial which is the last thing the UFC needs.  I doubt Reebok wants the grand beginning of their big sponsorship deal with UFC to begin with someone on trial as their main spokesperson. 

Nah. Him being who he is and his past situation, I'd put money on him telling the truth in order to save face somewhat. Him coming out and outright lying would probably be the worst thing he could do. No case needs to be made. There's still a lot of money to be made by a superstar who fucked up and then owned up to it and rehabs himself. Not so much for a guy who gets into an accident with a pregnant woman while high and then flees the scene and lies about it.

Nah. Him being who he is and his past situation, I'd put money on him telling the truth in order to save face somewhat. Him coming out and outright lying would probably be the worst thing he could do. No case needs to be made. There's still a lot of money to be made by a superstar who fucked up and then owned up to it and rehabs himself. Not so much for a guy who gets into an accident with a pregnant woman while high and then flees the scene and lies about it.

Agree vehemently with the first part just because I feel he is just going do whatever his lawyers advise him to do.

There might be a problem with the bold part about the self rehab.

I think the worst thing that could happen to Jon is for him to get off relatively scott free and then create a facade around himself that everything will be okay with a couple weeks vacation. I am not saying whether he should or should not walk. I am saying that this is an extremely pivotal time in his life where he can either correct himself or basically be a frequent visitor to correctional institutions. From my standpoint, I don't know how long Jon would last if he didn't have control over his life.

I am a bit torn on this whole issue because I don't want to see Jon be turned into "Contrite, neutered black athlete #403". In addition, I think that would feed into the need to do those self serving interviews where he is giving non-answers just to repair his image. The onus is on Jon to be sincere and truthful. Say that you have problems and you're in a bad mental state. Say that fighting is not your primary concern right now, and you would wish to take a sabbatical to repair your personal life before your professional one. Whatever you say, just be sincere about it. I don't feel that he should have to go on a worldwide apology tour. Apologize to the people he directly hurt? Sure. However, he doesn't owe anyone else anything. We're just spectators.

• Like 1

You truly believe that a jury is going to believe Jon wasn't driving if all he does is not answer any questions? So the car just got up and drove to that intersection?

There's zero chance this case ever makes it to a jury and I can't imagine him serving more than token jail time when he cops a plea.

I see your point. He can't half ass it though like he did the first time. I'd love to see him come out and admit what he did if it's true and vacate his title and step away for a while to get straight. Then come back and wreck shop if he's real about it when he's ready.

Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi 18m

Jon Jones will have his felony first appearance at Bernalillo County metro court today at 1:30 p.m. local time, per court spokesperson.

Marc Raimondi @marc_raimondi 17m

During that felony first appearance, Jones will enter a plea and the judge will determine whether he has to post another bond for release.

I am a bit torn on this whole issue because I don't want to see Jon be turned into "Contrite, neutered black athlete #403".

He could avoid that by abstaining from the felonies.  

It doesn't even have to be as large as something as that. That's my point. For example, the NAC meeting where Cormier and Jones gave their whole spiel about the brawl at that media tour presser. The difference between how they responded was stark.

It doesn't even have to be as large as something as that. That's my point.

I dunno, if you're worried that poor Crackhead Jon is going to have to be contrite the first cure would be to abstain from activities that require contrition.  I mean, if you find his gimmick entertaining and don't want him to tone it down that's one thing, but I don't think combat sports gains much by continually propping up criminals.

It doesn't even have to be as large as something as that. That's my point.

I dunno, if you're worried that poor Crackhead Jon is going to have to be contrite the first cure would be to abstain from activities that require contrition.  I mean, if you find his gimmick entertaining and don't want him to tone it down that's one thing, but I don't think combat sports gains much by continually propping up criminals.

However, my point is they don't require complete (if that makes sense) contrition or sometimes contrition at all. Whether his career goes on is ultimately up to him. We've already seen that the regulators don't give a shit. They're going to prop stuff up just to make money. As long they require money to run, people are going to get multiple chances. Floyd Mayweather and Anthony Johnson are probably going to fight three weeks apart in the MGM Grand. This should not be a shock.

He is at the point where people aren't going to happy no matter what he does. Save kittens from a tree or cure Hodgkin's lymphoma. He isn't getting a break at all. So knowing that, he shouldn't pretend to be sorry unless he is actually sincere about it. We've been through that before, and it hasn't done anything to repair the damage he has done. What good is another manufactured FS1 or ESPN interview gonna do at this point? It's only going to add more fuel to the fire.

So maybe he'll take the late-career Mike Tyson path and threaten to rape journalists.  Keep it real!  Who knows?  

We gotta realize there is a medium between that. Tyson was threatening to rape Razor Ruddock during live interviews and make him his girlfriend etc. Then years after his retirement, Tyson became the dude dressing like Dracula on Kimmel and doing stuff bordering on Stepin Fetchit levels of coonery.

Then years after his retirement, Tyson became the dude dressing like Dracula on Kimmel and doing stuff bordering on Stepin Fetchit levels of coonery.

It's almost like all the rape and threats of rape were a bad career move.  Don't forget him biting Lennox Lewis on the leg, spitting on the president of the WBC, and race-baiting white journalists at the press conference after threatening them with prison-style sodomy.  

America is an amazing place.  Any decent society would ban Tyson from any sort of participation again.  You think dressing up like Dracula was an affront to Tyson's dignity?  I think Tyson being on the Kimmel show should be an affront to ours.

America is an amazing place.  Any decent society would ban Tyson from any sort of participation again.  You think dressing up like Dracula was an affront to Tyson's dignity?  I think Tyson being on the Kimmel show should be an affront to ours.

Usually, in cases like that, it can be both.

And also, we can change the channel. There is other shit on television.