DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

I am gonna assume most of the folks around here are aware of this but just in case

Spoiler

In this unbelievably tense supernatural thriller, a foreigner’s mysterious appearance in a quiet, rural village causes suspicion among the locals—suspicion which quickly turns to hysteria as the townspeople begin killing each other in brutal outbursts for seemingly no reason. As the investigating officer watches his daughter fall under the same savage spell, he agrees to consult a shaman for answers—unknowingly escalating the situation into something far more dangerous. Over six years in the making, director Na Hong-jin’s meticulously crafted follow-up to the globally acclaimed The Yellow Sea and The Chaser (his third to premiere at the Festival de Cannes) smashed box office records upon its debut in South Korea, where fans are already making return viewings to catch new clues and debate what’s sure to be the most talked-about ending of 2016.

15 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am gonna assume most of the folks around here are aware of this but just in case

Some of the people I work with just got back from Korea after the last big training exercise.  The folks that went to see this movie were divided.   Half though it was great while the other half had a little difficulty working through the Korean-centric culture references.

I've heard that it is fairly bloody and quite a few people are reluctant to call it a horror movie since it is pretty genre bending.

I'm not going to research it too much as I have heard that it is best to go in with no expectations of what you will experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Showtime's Penny Dreadful has come to an end after three seasons.   The series finale was a very solid episode. 

I recommend binge watching the entire run if you have Sho On Demand.

Just when I think I have had enough of horror mockumentaries / found footage movies, I re-discover The Taking of Deborah Logan and love them all over again. 

I still think that NOROI, Man Bites Dog, Afflicted, and REC are the gold standards for this genre, but the silver standard is pretty low as these movies tend to be either really good or complete dreck.

Now I need to find Creep (2014) and Banshee Chapter (2013).  My Netflix suggestions algorithm also recommends The Conspiracy (2012) and Long Pigs (2007).

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Just when I think I have had enough of horror mockumentaries / found footage movies, I re-discover The Taking of Deborah Logan and love them all over again. 

I still think that NOROI, Man Bites Dog, Afflicted, and REC are the gold standards for this genre, but the silver standard is pretty low as these movies tend to be either really good or complete dreck.

Now I need to find Creep (2014) and Banshee Chapter (2013).  My Netflix suggestions algorithm also recommends The Conspiracy (2012) and Long Pigs (2007).

Creep is pretty decent and does a nice job of slowly making a character seem increasingly unsettling.  I think it's something that might have worked better as a short than a full length film, but it's still watchable, especially with a very minimal cast.

Banshee Chapter was a great example of an interesting concept which would have been a much better movie had it not been found footage.  Even then it's still pretty good.

The Conspiracy was something I thought was going to be full of lame cliches (but maybe that's due to too many people I know posting conspiracy bullshit stories on FB) but actually ended up being pretty interesting.  The last act could have been fleshed out a bit more but the found footage concept actually worked for what they were going for here.

• Like 1

Rob Zombie's HEY MY WIFE LOOKS HOT~! bullshit annoys me just as much as Kevin Smith's HEY MY WIFE LOOKS HOT~! bullshit, but at least Rob Zombie's wife actually did look hot in Lords of Salem. 

Must've been the white girl dreadlocks and the librarian glasses that did it for me.

That is the first Rob Zombie horror movie not named The Devil's Rejects that had a trailer that actually made me look forward to watching it in a proper movie theater.

I'll give Rob Zombie this much. His shit ain't boring. There's a lot of cool stuff happening visually and the concept is alright enough as Purge meets Hostel that I can dig it. Even if it sucks it won't be boring, which has been way more my problem with a lot of horror the last few years.

Lights Out...oof. Trailer gives too much away and the plot looks dumb. Music reminds me of The Gallows trailer which doesn't do them any favours. I want it to be good because I dig the short but I feel like it's gonna be a wait for home release deal.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lights Out is also PG-13 which surprised me. Mainly because I feel that is unusual nowadays for a horror movie

Studios are slowly moving away from PG-13 fright fests back to R-rated gems thanks to The Conjuring, Mama, Oculus, and other Hard R movies that were scary, fairly profitable, and pretty well received by critics..

I know it is frowned upon by most horror mavens, but I have no problems with Lights Out being PG-13 especially since it is directed by the same guy that created the short and he supposedly has a lot of creative control.  The other shorts he's made are creepy yet innocuous, so a PG-13 sounds about right for something he'd create. 

I don't think that horror movies need R ratings simply because they are horror movies, nor do I think that materiel that would probably be much better when presented in an R format needs to be watered down to PG-13 for sake of a wider release. 

If it is a good horror movie, people will go and see it regardless of the rating.

So far, Lights Out is 100% Fresh at RT, but we'll see if the good reviews keep coming in.

Crimson Peak is on heavy rotation on Cinemax this month and will probably debut next month on HBO so this is your time to check it out with minor financial investment if you have HBO / Cinemax in your premium cable line up.

I sat through six of the movies during the Saw marathon weekend before last on IFC.  Talk about sliding scales of quality.  It is breathtaking how horrible they become in subsequent sequels.

Like most horror idiots, I will probably go and see the latest one out of morbid curiosity.

Speaking of horror idiots, The Green Inferno debuts on Cinemax next Friday, so I can watch it at my parent's place next Sunday on demand when I get in town for work the following week.  Why do I put myself through these things just so I can check the box?

48 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I sat through six of the movies during the Saw marathon weekend before last on IFC.  Talk about sliding scales of quality.  It is breathtaking how horrible they become in subsequent sequels.

Like most horror idiots, I will probably go and see the latest one out of morbid curiosity.

Speaking of horror idiots, The Green Inferno debuts on Cinemax next Friday, so I can watch it at my parent's place next Sunday on demand when I get in town for work the following week.  Why do I put myself through these things just so I can check the box?

Don't be a slave to the box, J.T.! I believe in you! You have the power to overcome the box!

• Like 1