DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Speaking of "hoping it wasn't true,"  I had kinda hoped that the Damien: The Series trailer from Comic Con last year was some sort of horrible joke.

But it's not.   I really hate the Lucifer television show and I expected to hate this one too.  There is something disconcerting about The Devil being treated as an anti-hero.  I may be backslidden, but I still make to church on Easter and Christmas, yo.

My assumption that this was going to be total dreck seems to have been proven incorrect if the short trailer campaign is any indication of how the show will turn out.

I like the fact that they are playing up content from the very first film and events still seem to be leading up to Final Conflict where he finally gets what is coming to him.  I am also encouraged by the fact that A&E is going all out on this and is trying to put out a quality program.

Looks like it will get the time slot behind Bates Motel which is also an inspired move.

The devil has been an antihero since Milton.

Hail horrours, hail Infernal world, and thou profoundest HellReceive thy new Possessor: One who bringsA mind not to be chang’d by Place or Time.The mind is its own place, and in it selfCan make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n. What matter where, if I be still the same,And what I should be, all but less then heWhom Thunder hath made greater? Here at leastWe shall be free; th’ Almighty hath not builtHere for his envy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure, and in my choyceTo reign is worth ambition though in Hell:Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n.
  • Like 1

The devil has been an antihero since Milton.

Hail horrours, hail Infernal world, and thou profoundest HellReceive thy new Possessor: One who bringsA mind not to be chang’d by Place or Time.The mind is its own place, and in it selfCan make a Heav’n of Hell, a Hell of Heav’n. What matter where, if I be still the same,And what I should be, all but less then heWhom Thunder hath made greater? Here at leastWe shall be free; th’ Almighty hath not builtHere for his envy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure, and in my choyceTo reign is worth ambition though in Hell:Better to reign in Hell, then serve in Heav’n.

Satan is the most interesting character in Paradise Lost (Is Milton trying to say that virtue = boring?) and Milton definitely twists things around by giving Satan hubris; a quality you find in most tragic heroes.  Milton also does his best to make it seem as though Satan is somehow justified in his rebellion because God is somehow trying to crush Lucifer's free will.

But the fact of the matter is that Satan refuses to accept God's forgiveness because he is jealous of manknd and seeks nothing short of the complete destruction of humanity.  He wages spiritual warfare against humans because he cannot challenge God.

The classic definition of an anti-hero is a person who does not have very many of the classic qualities of heroism (bravery, selflessness, etc.) but still manages to serve the public good and the single goal of Satan is to deny the promise of eternal life to as many people as he can.  The wages of sin are death and Satan wants as many souls to share his fate as possible.

IMO, Satan isn't technically an anti-hero but that is my interpretation.  He squarely falls into the villain box.

Satan is the most interesting character in Paradise Lost (Is Milton trying to say that virtue = boring?) and Milton definitely twists things around by giving Satan hubris; a quality you find in most tragic heroes.  Milton also does his best to make it seem as though Satan is somehow justified in his rebellion because God is somehow trying to crush Lucifer's free will.

But the fact of the matter is that Satan refuses to accept God's forgiveness because he is jealous of manknd and seeks nothing short of the complete destruction of humanity.  He wages spiritual warfare against humans because he cannot challenge God.

The classic definition of an anti-hero is a person who does not have very many of the classic qualities of heroism (bravery, selflessness, etc.) but still manages to serve the public good and the single goal of Satan is to deny the promise of eternal life to as many people as he can.  The wages of sin are death and Satan wants as many souls to share his fate as possible.

IMO, Satan isn't technically an anti-hero but that is my interpretation.  He squarely falls into the villain box.

I read that as do what you feel is right, not what someone told you/expected you to do. Like, who is God to tell us all how to live our lives? Kind of like the Byron anti-heroes, isn't it? As a non-religious person, I can totally get behind that sentiment but then I don't believe that religion should shape your moral compass and think people are not inherently bad.

As a non-religious person, I can totally get behind that sentiment but then I don't believe that religion should shape your moral compass and think people are not inherently bad.

Not to turn this into a religious debate but faith is a personal relationship and the purpose of a church is to support your spiritual growth and not necessarily how to tell you how to worship.  That is the big divide when it comes to religion vs. dogma.

And God does not tell you how to live your life.  I think people believe that given the consequences of indulgence or misdeed.  Rule of law is far easier to accept than rule of soul, I suppose.

Anyway, the trailer for The Other Side of the Door is out.

An interesting concept but you'd have thought that a ghost door that should remain shut would not be so easy to open.

Near the house I grew up in, a house had been destroyed by a fire, leaving only two of the walls maybe a fourth still standing, and one of the doors to an interior room intact. Growing up, all the kids got the "don't play in the Mullins place" talk, because you don't want a fucking wall to fall on you and kill you.

Of course, you can imagine how well we listened. So me and a few pals are playing on the Mullins property, when we all start hearing something like crying and angry muffled voices. One of my friends - either Jim or Steve, can't remember now (they're twins) - slowly walks to the door, puts his ear to it ... very loud, distinct knocks come from the other side. Four of 'em. There were three of us, I had a great view of both sides of the door, and both friends, AND could tell that Jim/Steve had both hands at his sides so it couldn't have been him that knocked.

We ran until I know at least my heart was in my throat. Still weird to talk about. As of the holiday season of 2015, the door remains standing. I was maybe 8, 9 then. I'm 41.

• Like 4

As a non-religious person, I can totally get behind that sentiment but then I don't believe that religion should shape your moral compass and think people are not inherently bad.

Not to turn this into a religious debate

Don't worry :) Those were just my two cents and I know they are worth that much. I'm not one to debate religion and this definitely isn't the place to do so. I know from your posts here before that you are a HK movie fan and that shared love transcends any differences in opinion. So...

Rigor Mortis - I think I expected too much from this film which was just plain optimism on my part. It's been a couple of months since I watched it but I was all-in for a trip through nostalgia and I guess it succeeded somewhat in that respect. I remember it being pretty boring though and not understanding half of the movie. I might have nodded off in the middle though...Still good to see Chin Siu Ho in a leading role in 2013. That guy doesn't seem to age.....I suck at reviews

Watched Krampus last night....it was alright though my wife hated it. She thought it was going to be actually scary but once she realised it was a kid's movie she kind of checked off. Some fun stuff but the predictable ending felt flat. I guess if you're making a horror movie for kids that's about the only way you can end it though.

• Like 1

Not to turn this into a religious debate

Don't worry :) Those were just my two cents and I know they are worth that much. I'm not one to debate religion and this definitely isn't the place to do so. I know from your posts here before that you are a HK movie fan and that shared love transcends any differences in opinion. So...

I have run out of likes already.  I always appreciate people who can find common ground and agree to disagree. :)

Now here's something I didn't know.   Apparently there is going to be a reboot of Flatliners.  Diego Luna and Ellen Page have signed on and Nils Arden Oplev (director of the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) is set to helm. 

• Like 1

Apparently there is going to be a reboot of Flatliners. 

Ugh. Enough rebooting shit from 20+ years ago. What's next, Jacobs Ladder? Nightbreed? Hey hollywood I loved Killer Klowns From Outer Space when I was a kid, someone wanna do a shitty remake of that?

Apparently there is going to be a reboot of Flatliners.

Ugh. Enough rebooting shit from 20+ years ago. What's next, Jacobs Ladder? Nightbreed? Hey hollywood I loved Killer Klowns From Outer Space when I was a kid, someone wanna do a shitty remake of that?

Fucking hell, dunno how it happened but now I want a Killer Klowns/ Predator film.

Although I wasn't a fan of the movie itself, I loved the concept of Nightbreed and I'd love to see a remake.

Adam Green did pretty much exactly that with Digging Up the Marrow. It's a mockumentary from the humans' point of view, starring Ray Wise. It was... okay.

Nightbreed with CGI! Oh boy, sign me right up for that concept. Maybe instead of getting David Cronenberg to be the killer psychologist, we can get up with the times by having Eli Roth play him instead.

And I'm certain he wouldn't play it over the top AT ALL.

Granted, there is the whole "Why don't you get the fuck out of there as soon as the crazy parents explain the deal?" element, but I suppose well-paying nanny jobs are hard to come by in the current economy. 

"OK, so I guess I will take care of this creepy porcelain doll for this weird eccentric old couple in this scary Victorian-style mansion...and nothing will go wrong!"

This is why more characters in horror movies should, you know, watch more horror movies.

Although I wasn't a fan of the movie itself, I loved the concept of Nightbreed and I'd love to see a remake.

The reboot that needs to be made is Rawhead Rex and it needs to be in line with the indie comics. 

The graphic novel runs circles around the abomination we got with the heavy metal ogre thing.

Shut. Your face. Heavy Metal Boar pissing on a priest who's laughing "BAPTIZE ME KING RAW-HEAD!" was delightful in its cheezines, faithfulness to the source material be damned.