DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Watched My Bloody Valentine 3D on IFC just now because, what the hell, I never watched it when it came out, and today's the day. It certainly doesn't stand up to the original and is overall cliche ridden and it had one specific lapse in logic at the end that I thought was utterly stupid. 

Do cops even carry six-round firearms anymore? I thought everyone had a standard-issue Glock 9MM? And how did killer dude have old girl's phone number after he'd been gone for 10 YEARS?

Also, it didn't have a single likable character in the film. Not one. But hey, good gore, even if it was all CGI, and Tom Atkins got a payday! Now the original is on right after if you want to see a film with some actual humanity, that actually takes place in the mine unlike 90% of the remake. 

Watched My Bloody Valentine 3D on IFC just now because, what the hell, I never watched it when it came out, and today's the day. It certainly doesn't stand up to the original and is overall cliche ridden and it had one specific lapse in logic at the end that I thought was utterly stupid.

Do cops even carry six-round firearms anymore? I thought everyone had a standard-issue Glock 9MM? And how did killer dude have old girl's phone number after he'd been gone for 10 YEARS?

Also, it didn't have a single likable character in the film. Not one. But hey, good gore, even if it was all CGI, and Tom Atkins got a payday! Now the original is on right after if you want to see a film with some actual humanity, that actually takes place in the mine unlike 90% of the remake.

I liked it when it came out but I'm a sucker for Jensen Ackles.

You can thank this movie for the 3D craze too fwiw. One time gimmick to pop an otherwise rote horror flick got it $50 mil domestic and another $50 mil international on a $15 mil budget. That overperformance plus a gimmick that you couldn't pirate (then) made a bunch of shit hop on that train fast.

You can thank this movie for the 3D craze too fwiw. One time gimmick to pop an otherwise rote horror flick got it $50 mil domestic and another $50 mil international on a $15 mil budget. That overperformance plus a gimmick that you couldn't pirate (then) made a bunch of shit hop on that train fast.

And once it opened the floodgates, the resulting tridimensional deluge was truly Biblical in proportion. Ya know how goddamn many 3D movies we've gotten in the current trend? BoxOfficeMojo has My Bloody Valentine listed way down at 141st place on their sales chart, right above an Imax documentary about the Hubble telescope, and right below Ghost Rider 2.

Worked on my Horror Movie pile of shame over the holiday.

Oh my God, the acting in Megan Is Missing is really really really really horrible but if you are the parent of a teen girl like I am, the last 22 minutes will probably make you smash your television set out of fear and rage. 

It is a very harsh indictment on the dot com parents who do not fucking know how to raise their kids.  Not really a horror movie per se as it is a cautionary tale about unfettered social media that takes a left turn to Psychoville in a hurry.

It is hard to argue that this movie is pure exploitive and over the top when you have things like the Polly Klass and Nicole Lovell abduction / murders going on in the world.

I can put this along with A Serbian Film in the Shit I Will Never Watch Again category.

Other movies on the pile of shame that I watched.:

Atrocious

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (DVRed from On Demand)

The Den

Mini-reviews / recommendations forthcoming.

Yakuza Apocalypse by Takashi Miike is... well, how do you try and describe a Takashi Miike film? In this case, at least:

PURE FUCKING AMAZEMENT MADNESS OF FUN AND RIOT

I don't know how the man does it. He manages to shove a bitter contemplation on modern Japanese society (which can be easily translated into American society, as well) into a film involving vampires, the Yakuza, a combination of both, a witchfinder dude that only speaks English in a film otherwise entirely in Japanese, the guy from the end of Raid 2 that is a total end boss, and a guy in a gecko costume that is a kung-fu ass kicker. Yeah. J.T. (and everyone else with a pulse), jump on it! 

• Like 1

Yakuza Apocalypse by Takashi Miike is... well, how do you try and describe a Takashi Miike film? In this case, at least:

I don't know how the man does it. He manages to shove a bitter contemplation on modern Japanese society (which can be easily translated into American society, as well) into a film involving vampires, the Yakuza, a combination of both, a witchfinder dude that only speaks English in a film otherwise entirely in Japanese, the guy from the end of Raid 2 that is a total end boss, and a guy in a gecko costume that is a kung-fu ass kicker. Yeah. J.T. (and everyone else with a pulse), jump on it! 

How does this compare to Versus?

Atrocious

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (DVRed from On Demand)

The Den

Mini-reviews / recommendations forthcoming.

I'm interested in your thoughts on The Poughkeepsie Tapes. I thought it was surprisingly good, with one especially creepy scene (guy crawling towards the camera) and one genuine 'oh fuck' moment when

... the girl being interviewed at the end casually scratched her head, revealing the stump on her arm.

How does this compare to Versus?

I thought Versus was the best thing I'd ever seen when I first watched it because it had Yakuza karate zombies and Tak Sakaguchi was full on man crush material.  All of the female cast members were also adorable.

After repeated viewings over the years, its stock has gone down with me substantially.  For a movie lacking a solid plot, it really is cluttered and overlong.

Don Mancini:  There may be a 7th Chucky movie!

Seed of Chucky was pretty horrible, but Curse of Chucky was a step back onto the right path.  I am a bit Chucky-ied out so I will probably peep a few horror reviews before checking this out.

Also, Wes Craven's voodoo epic, The Serpent & The Rainbow, is finally getting a Collector's Edition release on Blu-Ray.

Honestly, when I got Versus on bootleg VHS years ago, I couldn't finish it because it was so drawn out. I finally watched it all the way through when it came on TV once and all I remember is the end being the drizzling shits. 

Serpent should probably get a Criterion release for what Wes Craven and his crew went through on the shooting of that film. Also, the only film to make me interested in a Bill Pullman performance, and Zakes Mokae! Now THAT was a performance. 

Seed of Chucky is probably my very favorite of them all.

Me and Newb used to argue all the time, he hated the dive into comedy in the (then) last two films, while I felt they were the two best.

Curse was a damn good return to more horror as well. I'm totally down for another.

I honestly don't know what to make of that movie.  So a family manages to piss off both ghosts and then they fight over who gets to make them suffer while the humans scramble about trying to figure out how to untangle both curses?  It seems weird because because it seems like the type of movie that should be done with tongue firmly planted in cheek (See Freddy vs Jason) and yet neither franchise strikes me as ones likely to do something like that.

Then again thanks to that trailer there's a lot of movies from both franchises that I haven't watched yet.