DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Who knew?

Any of the zillion people who saw Trick 'r Treat and said "why the fuck was this terrific movie put on the shelf for years and finally concealed in a direct-to-video release, rather than given the proper theatrical rollout that it deserved"?

Who knew?

Any of the zillion people who saw Trick 'r Treat and said "why the fuck was this terrific movie put on the shelf for years and finally concealed in a direct-to-video release, rather than given the proper theatrical rollout that it deserved"?

Of course horror fans would know.  Point being that It is unusual for a horror movie, albeit a black comedy, to do well this time of year, especially a horror movie thematically tied to Christmas.

Krampus just didn't do well; it upended Mockingjay Pt. 2, Creed, and The Good Dinosaur for the number one spot. 

You're right about the time of year; glancing at the Boxofficemojo chart, the only December horror release which has done better (in unadjusted-for-inflation dollars) was Scream 2. But it didn't upend anything for the weekend's #1 spot, where'd you read that? The figures have it listed at #2, a solid. $2.5 million behind Mockingjay.

"Upended" in the general sense.   There is no way anyone would've expected a horror comedy to beat out three big releases that were built to be blockbusters (one of them a Pixar kids movie) around this time of year.

Kevin Smith can't feel too encouraged since his Krampus movie has to follow behind this one.

Kevin Smith can't feel too encouraged since his Krampus movie has to follow behind this one.

Maybe he'll quit the damn thing and do other stuff. It was easily the least-interesting project on his short list of upcoming stuff. Get to Clerks 3 and Moose Jaws already, Kev.

Well, this weekend *was* Krampusnachten.

We don't celebrate that at my house.... for good reason...

"Too scary," "too pagan," or do you celebrate an alternate, non-Christmas festivity (Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Festivus, etc.)?

• 2 weeks later...

...maaaybe worth a look?

Yet another "teenage girl gets possessed" thriller? That subgenre is so oversaturated with an endless flood of cheap Exorcist wannabes (and worse, found-footage pieces of shit like The Devil Inside) that I've got absolutely no desire to watch another one. Not for a long time, maybe ever.

...maaaybe worth a look?  I realize "best independent American horror since It Follows" is faint praise.

Anguish looks pretty good and I loved It Follows, but has It Follows been out long enough or had the accolades to deserve being called one of the best indie American horror movies?  We're ranking it up there with Halloween, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Nightmare on Elm Street, Martin, and Night of the Living Dead?

And then we're forgetting all of the honorable mentions like Nadja, Ganja & Hess, Session 9, Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer,and House of the Devil.

So what was the best indie horror movie since It Follows?  Cabin In the Woods, maybe?

So I was moved by the indie horror thing to google some listmania and i like this particular list of 30 really good indie horror movies.

I also like this list, this one, and I go here to track my indie horror news.

I did not see Unfriended on any list, but recommend checking it out.  If you are going to watch The ABCs of Death 2, watch The ABCs of Death first so you can appreciate how far the second movie has come from the original premise.

• Like 2

One glaring omission from a couple of those lists is All The Boys Love Mandy Lane.  I enjoyed it, but it has proven to be a rather polarizing movie.  People either like it or hate it.

Hell naw. I thought the remake was plenty enough of a putrid piece of garbage. It was so poorly made that, by the end, you're damn near cheering for the rapists to win. It actually leaves the woman's P.O.V. in the last act, so we're put in the shoes of the bad guys. All the scenes of her revenge are basically shot like Saw traps, with the rape victim suddenly acting like a slasher villain, complete with lousy Freddy-style one-liners and wisecracks. It was one of those movies that I wish I could un-see.

So I ain't even going anywhere near the damn sequels. (Not counting the upcoming ISoYG: Deja Vu, a direct sequel to the original 1978 film with Camille Keaton and Meir Zarchi both returning to their old jobs, which has me admittedly curious.)

Doing a little reading: the good news is I Spit on Your Grave THREE is, for once, not the exact same story about "a woman gets raped, a woman gets revenge, the end". The bad news: it's the SECOND-most banal Death Wish 2 horseshit they could've come up with: the girl from the remake is back (the movie completely ignores ISoYG 2's unconnected story about different people) and is now living in LA, working on a rape crisis hotline and attending group therapy sessions. But oh SNAP, her best friend just happens to be brutally murdered by an evil lecherous man, and do you think that said man just MIGHT get away with it because of some bullshit only-in-movies courtroom technicality? Oh you betcha! And so the former rapevenger goes back to her rapevenging, only this time on a bunch of different guys who all somehow got off scot-free with their sex offenses.

And it's written and directed by some hacks whose (few) previous credits are all on movies made for The Asylum or Syfy Channel. And according to IMDB, they actually repeat one of Fake Sean Connery's fucking misogynist jokes from "Celebrity Jeopardy" on SNL at the end of this film, except this time around it's apparently a SERIOUS statement which supposed to be like when the guy says "I wonder who the REAL cannibals are?" at the end of Cannibal Holocaust and the audience is obviously expected to be all "whoa dude, you just blew my mind!!!".

So yeah, in short, skip over this motherfucker as if you were playing Hopscotch: Sniper Edition and losers get shot in the head.