DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Am I the only one who thinks this looks shriekingly terrible? I actually giggled aloud, every time the same whispered exclamation of "Black Phillip!!!" happened. And the menacing bunny rabbit, c'mon now. Also: historical-period horror movies tend to look like absolute shit when they're shot on video. And even the title will have lots of people saying "what the hell is a Vvitch?"

Hey, it they found a 17th-century pre-plumbing version of "turn on the faucet and blood comes out" that's not hilarious at all.

Also is this going to be another one of those "Witches were totally real, we probably didn't murder enough of them" hack jobs?   Because I can't fuck you it enough to every single person involved if so.

Also is this going to be another one of those "Witches were totally real, we probably didn't murder enough of them" hack jobs? Because I can't fuck you it enough to every single person involved if so.

No, "Vvitches" man. Vvitches.

Watched Unfriended last night on HBO On Demand.  Seemed a lot creepier in theaters. 

I still find the maze of laptop apps used to aid in telling the story to be an interesting millennial twist on the single set piece and the cyber-bullying metaplot is also an original way to add new spin to the old school horror staple of supernatural vengeance..

On the downside, the group of potential suspects / victims and the center figure are presented as so unlikeable and shallow that you find yourself pulling for neither the victims nor the "monster." 

I realize that you can only do so much character development in medias res, but you can at least try to generate some sort of empathy between the audience and a character or two.

I can recommend it with reservation if you've never seen it before, but you can skip a second viewing.

Watched Unfriended last night on HBO On Demand. Seemed a lot creepier in theaters.

I still find the maze of laptop apps used to aid in telling the story to be an interesting millennial twist on the single set piece and the cyber-bullying metaplot is also an original way to add new spin to the old school horror staple of supernatural vengeance..

On the downside, the group of potential suspects / victims and the center figure are presented as so unlikeable and shallow that you find yourself pulling for neither the victims nor the "monster."

I realize that you can only do so much character development in medias res, but you can at least try to generate some sort of empathy between the audience and a character or two.

I can recommend it with reservation if you've never seen it before, but you can skip a second viewing.

I really liked Unfriended because of the way it peels back those layers to make that apparent. The least likeable characters are also the least culpable in a lot of ways while the ones that seem sympathetic were the worst. My major complaint is sort of spoilery so hey.

Look. This thing is very clearly supposed to be evoking videos of girls being passed out and sexually assaulted then shamed for that fact until they commit suicide. It's sort of a Rehtah Parsons revenge deal where you go from fearing for the people to realizing how sickeningly culpable they were and that they all deserve what they get. That is hugely diminished when it's just a video of a girl shitting herself. I'm not generally a proponent of rape as a plot device but when that's so clearly what you're trying to evoke, embarassing poop video just doesn't cut it for me. Either commit to the message or don't go that route, in my opinion.

Mileage may vary on that though. My wife disagreed while our lady friend that watched it with us had exactly the same thought. Depends on perspective, I guess.

Could have gone without the Bughuul'ing at the end too but it's pretty much a staple for 2015 horror.

I got to see The Thing (1982) again on the big screen last night. Thoughts:

This is one of those films that you pick out new things (ha) every time that you never noticed before. One, coincidentally, being an eye (a gigantic fucking eyeball) in the creature where you never ever saw it even after watching the movie twelve thousand times, for example. 

With an audience, the black humor comes out so much more. The scene where Garry says his line about the couch made everyone burst into loud, nervous, perfectly uncomfortable laughter. 

People seemed to react the worst to of all things the simplest: the finger cutting. I couldn't even watch myself.

This is the only '80s horror film where two black characters survive until the end, and also have serious personality behind them. Name another one. Dare ya. 

After leaving the theater, it seemed a whole lot colder outside...

There's been quite a few that just had two black people somewhere in the whole movie; even several entries in Friday the 13th managed to grab that particular low-hanging fruit. But two black MAIN characters who were present throughout the majority of a 1980s horror movie? I'm having a hard time thinking of any, ever. Even Day of the Dead only had one prominent black guy, and in between the Blaxploitation phase and the Tony Todd Revolution there was a glaring lack of color in American thrillers. The closest I can come up with is Black Devil Doll From Hell, and that's a crying shame, considering it's a zero-budget "movie" that was shot on video, back when that REALLY meant something.

Part V had four black characters in speaking roles if you count the old guy.  Dudley's uncle or whatever.    They were also the four most likable characters (although shaking an outhouse when someone is trying to drop a load in crystal lake is probably not the coolest thing to be doing.  Damn, girl.)

Jaws, Alien, The Howling, and Swamp Thing (the shaggy dog of the bunch. clearly) are gonna be in a Nowhere To Hide Marathon on Saturday. In the meantime, I'll be praying that they go back to the old Lucha Underground schedule of having replays of the former episodes with replays of the current one into the wee hours.

I am truly depressed that we're now remaking mainstream American movies from the 21st century. Especially when the last sequel was made just two years ago, and there's absolutely no business or creative reason why the series needed a "reboot".

• Like 1

“Travis had an amazing vision for my original script, and, as a scary movie fan, I really wanted to see it,” Roth said. “I almost see this like re-staging a play, and I’m excited to see what ideas Travis and the cast bring to it.”

That was per Variety back when they started filming

Since horror seems to be a can't lose business, there's no reason not to fuck around like that I guess. 

I'm actually not that against the idea of multiple versions of the same story as an experiment in style as long as it is done for a reason other than "those teenagers are like 27 now.  I can't, like, relate to them.  They, like, used, like, Napster to, like, fax music to each other.  What the hell even is that?"

Every time I think "there can't possibly be any more reasons to firmly believe that Eli Roth is among the very worst scumbags to ever walk upon the earth's crust, surely he must've hit bottom by now", he is just so damned determined to prove me wrong.

“Travis had an amazing vision for my original script, and, as a scary movie fan, I really wanted to see it,” Roth said. “I almost see this like re-staging a play, and I’m excited to see what ideas Travis and the cast bring to it.”

That was per Variety back when they started filming

Then put it on a stage. At least there it'll be more interesting. I mean, "Travis" can't be all that great a visionary, if he can't come up with his own ideas and only revamps someone else's.