DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

NSFW. The director/writer/editor/set designer/costumer/music composer (!) Anna Biller has apparently made something that Jess Franco and Paul Naschy would have shared credits on back in the '70s.

That soooooo could've been made in Italy or Great Britain in the early 70's.  I must watch this schlock on the big screen.

A zombie film done like a Cops-style reality show, including commercials, just might make me want to watch something that's 'found footage'. 

NOROI: The Curse, man.  It is your found footage miracle film if you can deal with the crazy cultural thing.

Also, REC!

As big as a Japanophile as I am I never got into the Japanese ghost stuff... that looks pretty good from the trailer, though. 

Ghost movies in general have always been problematic to me. There's a handful that are clockwork perfect and totally immerse me (The Haunting, Legend of Hell House, Burnt Offerings) and then everything else is just of little to no interest. 

My favorite ghost movies in no particular order:

Ring

Pulse

The Devil's Backbone

The Haunting

The Innocents

The Others

Legend of Hell House

The Fog

Shutter

And to be fair, NOROI is more of a evil kami / demon movie. Not really a classic onryo film like Ring or Ju-On.

You are literally the only person I've ever talked to who disliked it. Different strokes I guess.

My girlfriend bought us front row seats for it when we went to Vegas a couple years ago. We got drenched in fake blood and had a fantastic time.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I have uploaded both seasons of Freddy's Nightmares for streaming and download.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/movies/freddys-nightmares-1988-1990  

There are a handful of pretty solid episodes, as far as ultra low budget syndicated anthology horror goes. As far as I can tell, it isn't streaming anywhere online. Ain't no one care about Freddy  :(

Dude it's on El Rey. They're airing a Freddy marathon with the first five Nightmares and a whole pile of the series on Valentine's Day.

In other news, Child's Play is still awesome and I never recognized the end theme over the credits is so Philip Glass-in-Candyman (both films are set in Chicago, too!).

Dude it's on El Rey. They're airing a Freddy marathon with the first five Nightmares and a whole pile of the series on Valentine's Day.

In other news, Child's Play is still awesome and I never recognized the end theme over the credits is so Philip Glass-in-Candyman (both films are set in Chicago, too!).

A couple of episodes on El Rey isn't the same as "watch the whole series whenever". I can't believe the run on Chiller never got uploaded online. All the videos online appear to be original VHS rips or super low quality rips from when AOL was briefly streaming it in like....2006. I don't even think the DVD releases made it online. Also a ton of people don't have El Rey. I was just trying to be helpful to those that might want to see the show and not go to torrent sites.

Watched "Descent" for the first time in a long while, and Neil Marshall has such a good turnout of genre films to have such a limited filmography.

This inspired me to watch "Descent Part 2." Can't advise this. It's stinky shitty poo.

I don't know if it's the fact that the Col. Sanders sheriff makes it through so much of the film when he's such a fuckhead ...

... the following analogy - people swing on ropes/chains/etc. : "Van Helsing" :: blood gushing into mouths : "Descent Part 2" ...

... the plothole from the first film - "Where do those goblins shit?" - is tied up nicely ...

... the last third of this film is built on a fucking lie, because no way Juno lived through the ending of Descent Part 1 ...

... I mean, seriously; no fucking way ...

... after galavanting through these fucking caves and seeing how difficult it is by himself, and given that, once reunited, Sarah ain't getting too far away from him in the best of circumstances, Col. Sanders' solution to keeping an eye on Sarah is to handcuff himself to her ...

... and that ending, that fucking ending ...

... plus, I'm disappointed we didn't somehow get the hackneyed revelation that the goblins are REALLY HUMANS!!!

What a shoo-shoo movie.

"that fucking ending" is really the only way to react to the rage-inducing finish of The Descent 2. SO motherfucking terrible. And really, the whole movie is pretty rubbishy, filled with impossible contrivances and lots of direct contradictions to the first film's established canon. It's not often that you find a sequel which both metaphorically AND LITERALLY shits all over the original movie.

And yeah, why hasn't Neil Marshall ever done anything nearly as great as The Descent? I mean, Dog Soldiers was pretty good, but it's nowhere near the same level; and I thought Centurion and especially Doomsday were awfully disappointing. Really, his second-best directorial achievement is probably the "Blackwater" episode on Game of Thrones.

The Descent is a favorite of mine and I don't hate the second as much as I did upon the initial viewing.  I don't know the story behind the production, but it strikes me as one of those movies the studio ordered a sequel to based on the original's success, regardless of how the first film ended or what the creators had in mind for any further story.

I thought Doomsday could have been fleshed out a little more in certain scenes and that they tried to cram a few too many genres/references into one.  Centurion struck me as having some good ideas, but couldn't really bring them all together.  He's got a sequel to Dog Soldiers in the works which could prove to be good.

Probably the wrong thread, but I see he has credits to some episodes of "Black Sails" under his belt.  Is that show worth watching?

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/death-house-expendables-of-horror/

A new horror film will unite all of the icons of the genre in one epic, bloody fight for survival, similar to the lassoing in of action legends in The Expendables franchise. Dubbed Death House, the movie will focus on the “Area 51 of evil,” where a government facility holds all of humanity’s worst death-dealers underground.

Who are they? You’ll probably recognize a bunch of icons from movies like A Nightmare on Elm Street and Re-Animator: Robert Englund, Danny Trejo, Michael Berryman, Kane Hodder, Dee Wallace, Bill Moseley, Barbara Crampton, Doug Bradley, Ken Foree, Camille Keaton and Don Shanks, among others.

Gunnar Hansen, the face of Leatherface in the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, was set to be in the film before he passed away last November from pancreatic cancer. Hansen wrote the script before he died, while Harrison Smith is set to direct the mayhem.