DVDVR Message Board

The All Things HORROR thread~!

J.T.

Yeah, everyone says that. The original script supposedly had the entire movie taking place in New York, staging various setpieces at famous landmarks; but then New Line decided to cut their budget by more than half, so we got that "Jason Takes a Cruise" disappointment instead.

You're right, I forgot all about that.  Been a while since I read "Crystal Lake Memories."

Here, to make up for that, this is the TCM Horror lineup for October. Nothing at all surprising, sadly, aside from the "Rogue Body Parts" films which I must admit is interesting as I haven't seen any of those amazingly. Would it kill to vary the Hammer lineup at all? Curse of the Werewolf getting a showing, at least?

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1124181%7C0/TCM-Horror-Fridays-in-October.html

Good find!  TCM has the odd gem like Eyes Without A Face or The Beast Must Die on at the wee hours of the morning when few people are awake, but the they usually have the same Hammer line-up as always. 

I'm always hopeful they will dig further into the Amicus catalogue because IIRC they have the licenses for that studio's films like Tales From The Crypt (1971) as well as the Hammer classics.

I'm also interested to see what AMC does.  In the past they have had old school line ups as good as TCM, but now that they have made a sea change in programming, I think it is more likely we will get a Walking Dead marathon of this season's episodes.

...and right on time! AMC has started their Stephen King movie marathon tonight. Firestarter, Pet Semetery, Thinner, Cujo, Silver Bullet, Riding the Bullet (which I've never even heard of). Then Fear of the Walking Dead to cure your insomnia. They throw in The Shining tomorrow for shits 'n' giggles.

EDIT: Looks like we need to keep an eye on TCM. They've got Rattlers, The Swarm, and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte playing on Sunday.

EDIT: Looks like we need to keep an eye on TCM. They've got Rattlers, The Swarm, and Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte playing on Sunday.

Holy crap, I haven't seen Rattlers in years!

And yeah,  We Are Still Here is really good.

My copy of The Borderlands comes in on Sunday.

Reviews once I have a suitable place to watch it in the new crib.

The Borderlands was pretty fucking good.   The ending has to be seen to be believed.  What a great concept!

If you are looking for The Borderlands on DVD in the US, don't bother.

It's been renamed to Final Prayer here in the states. Silly title aside, I still highly recommend checking this out.  Absolutely nothing preps you for the ending.

This movie, Afflicted, and NOROI, and Wer are the horror mockumentary / found footage badass four pack you should be redboxing this Halloween.

Has Noroi ever gotten an official US release?  Hopefully there are better options then the 10 part Youtube version and the DVD I made where I had to time the fansubs myself.

Also Final Prayer is soo getting watched this Halloween.

I normally avoid found footage movies as even when they're halfway decent, the cinematography is just so distractingly bad that it takes away from the whole thing.  It's even worse when the movie actually has a decent concept but the found footage aspect ruins the execution (Houses October Built was like this, good idea but shit characters and the ff gimmick took a lot away).  The REC series thankfully started moving away from this as it went on, even if the early movies were better. The Taking of Deborah Logan was actually really good and something I'm going to revisit again soon.  Banshee Chapter was also worth watching.  I'd seen Borderlands mentioned before, but assumed it was referring to the movie from several years back about some college kids being menaced by some cult in Mexico.  I'll give either this or Goodnight, Mommy a watch later tonight.

Harbinger Down was actually a bigger remake/ripoff of The Thing than the actual remake of The Thing, but it was still halfway decent.  Small budget, but it relied on more practical effects than CGI and made good use of the setting, plus you have Lance Henrikesen being Lance Henriksen in the lead role.

The Taking of Deborah Logan is one of my favourite horror movies of recent years, although ironically I was almost saddened when it went into horror territory. If it had been a tense drama on Alzheimer's and explored it further, I would have loved it. As it is, though, it was a good movie.

Lance Henriksen being Lance Henriksen? I'm sold. I'm watching Harbinger Down tonight.

The REC series thankfully started moving away from this as it went on, even if the early movies were better. The Taking of Deborah Logan was actually really good and something I'm going to revisit again soon.  Banshee Chapter was also worth watching.  I'd seen Borderlands mentioned before, but assumed it was referring to the movie from several years back about some college kids being menaced by some cult in Mexico.  .

I really liked the first two REC films but the gimmick had run its course by the third.  I was determined to hate the second one because I thought the vagary of the first movie's ending was very satisfying, but REC 2 turned out to be fairly decent. 

I keep meaning to check out The Taking of Deborah Logan.  I will watch that this Halloween.

Has Noroi ever gotten an official US release?  Hopefully there are better options then the 10 part Youtube version and the DVD I made where I had to time the fansubs myself.

Nope.  I have a Region 2 version with subs and IIRC it still exists in nine million ten minute swatches on YouTube.

Harbinger Down was extremely cheesy and predictable, but if you enjoyed The Thing and, well, cheesiness, then you can kill some time with it. 'We're gonna need a bigger bucket.' WINK. The Russian woman saying, 'I can see Alaska from my home.' WINK. And you have Lance Henriksen, so that's always a plus. The creature effects were, if not very inventive, pretty cool.

I did not enjoy We Are Still Here, and that sucks.  Neat atmosphere and all, but the plot reveal turned the whole thing into a convoluted mess.  The first half of the film was awesome and showed so much promise and then...not so much.  The two leads' acting was almost Tommy Wiseau bad and holy shit Lisa Marie what did you do to your face?

The Editor (2014)

Rey Ciso was once the greatest editor the world had ever seen. Since a horrific accident left him with four wooden fingers on his right hand, he’s had to resort to cutting pulp films and trash pictures. When the lead actors from the film he’s been editing turn up murdered at the studio, Rey is fingered as the number one suspect. The bodies continue to pile up in this absurdist giallo-thriller as Rey struggles to prove his innocence and learn the sinister truth lurking behind the scenes.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73308

One of the writers at AICN that's doing a Halloween movie countdown list gave this a good review. It's available OnDemand through Time Warner. Has anyone else had a chance to check this one out? 

I just watched We Are Still Here and there's no problems on my end. It was basically a Stephen King script mixed with a slight bit of Fulci (Joe the plumber furnace repairman going down into the basement?) with a heap of self-consciousness and another heap of The Fog. I don't think the acting was that bad (Barbie Crampton is getting up in years though). Altogether a fun little flick and the final scene in the credits gave me goosebumps.

EDIT: 1. I have a predilection to films set up in Midwestern/Northeastern wastelands with lots of snow and 2. I also have a predilection to anything set in basements, considering I have spent half my life in them, either in punk rock shows downstairs where me or my friends lived, or in my grandfather's, where he moved into by his own by himself after serving in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal and deciding to be the loner of all loners while my grandmother lived upstairs. There's a nostalgia there and the way the basement looked hit me in a good way.