DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't know man, I like Batman & Robin way more than most people.

Like in a "I think it's better than The Dark Knight Rises" kinda way.

But Forever was pretty terrible, I'll give you that.

Never saw Batman and Robin, but speaking for myself , I'd watch Forever 100 times before I'd watch Rises again. . . 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Did he? I don't remember that at all. So Johns during my favorite time of his career and JDR. Yeah.

It wasnt for very long, iirc. (I'm at work or i would just find them and check).

Well, again, I know he didn't actually script the last two Nolan films. I should look up if he did the first one. Christopher and Jonathon Nolan have the script credits on TDK/TDKR

It sounds like Goyer always wrote the original draft, and then the Nolans came in with a bunch of rewrites afterwards.  But they must have loved his work, considering that they kept bringing him back each time.  

Maybe they just liked the bullet points. Just like with this movie. I think the bullet points make perfect sense and are world building but some of the dialogue and other ideas fall apart. Editing sucked. There's people to blame, but I don't think it ends the universe. I think they can salvage it and move on.

My understanding was Goyer's primary function on the TDK trilogy was to be Nolan's liaison to the comics, which Nolan didn't have much knowledge of going in.  So Nolan might say, "I want to do a Two-Face story, tell me what I need to know," and Goyer would give him the top Two-Face stories, and then they'd bat those ideas around until they figured out how to make them work within Nolan's own vision for Batman.

He obviously wrote something on BB because he got a screenplay credit for that one...But when you look at MoS, which apes BB's form HARD but lacks Nolan as a writer, it's easy to see who was doing most of the heavy lifting on BB.

Goyer is a credited writer for BVS, but I've read conflicting things about this movie.  I've read that Chris Terrio was the main writer, but I've also read that Terrio came in late to BVS.  I've also read that Goyer only wrote a first draft, so I dunno.  

I think what needs to happen is a deck shuffle.  Get rid of Zack Snyder.  Get rid of Ezra Miller for that matter.  Barry Allen should not have a face I want to punch.

• Like 1

I want Lord and Miller to direct Justice League. I'm not sure if it matters who writes it because they'll have the balls to say, "fuck this, fuck that, watch us turn this shit into gold."

• Like 1

If you get rid of Snyder, which I would at this point, then you have to replace him with someone who can also film action. You can't do a Justice League movie with terrible action sequences.  I don't know what to expect out of the rest of the movies. Suicide Squad is Ayer. I love Ayer but it could easily be a mess.

During the first 45 minutes I thought everyone was overreacting because it seemed fine. But once the set pieces started it turns into a strange, ugly assault on the senses. The way the actual  fight is presented, especially without the TDKR context, is just awful. Based on the framework, I still think a solo Batfleck movie could be quite good, but Snyder has a very cynical sensibility about what Batman fans want to see, so he'd need to be hands off.  The Wonder Woman stuff, especially her music cue, was rad. I wouldn't have found the movie as frustrating if there weren't a few individual thoughtful and lyrical moments in the beginning and very end that indicated there was a better movie in there.  

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

If you get rid of Snyder, which I would at this point, then you have to replace him with someone who can also film action. You can't do a Justice League movie with terrible action sequences.  I don't know what to expect out of the rest of the movies. Suicide Squad is Ayer. I love Ayer but it could easily be a mess.

Your ideas are consistently terrible.

Maybe you could fill in as director.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Your ideas are consistently terrible.

Maybe you could fill in as director.

What ideas? I post about what I see.. not what I want to see or what I would do. You're just attacking for no reason. If you've noticed, I don't ever personally attack anyone.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah, okay, let me throw you down the stairs then and see what happens :lol:   

all you would get is broken bones, most likely. I'm far from the biggest Daredevil fan (I think it's overrated, personally) but this is just silly. I'm not trying to heap on the arguments, I get what yours is. Granted, I haven't seen it yet, but I've read all the spoilers and every page of this thread since it came out, and I get what your argument is. That's not what I'm taking issue with. It's the fact that you're comparing Batman using a machine gun (or whatever) to Daredevil throwing someone down a flight of stairs or soccer kicking them in the head. Those two things couldn't be any more different. Sure, there's always the chance that DD could have killed someone using those two methods - but there's a 100% chance that Batman killed someone if he was indeed using machine guns and flamethrowers on random goons.

unless Batman is the A-Team and he's just a terrible shot and is shooting the ground around their feet. But this sounds more and more unlikely with all of the reviews and spoilers and reactions I read. Ultimately, I have to watch it for myself and decide. But all of this is just my 2 cents. I don't even really have a problem with Batman killing people. I'm just over here wondering why Green Lantern is left out of the Justice League, but Cyborg is in. Wasn't even a "founding member" until a few years ago....

That's not what I'm arguing. You're using Daredevil as Marvel's example of the "no kill" rule and how maybe the things he did ended with the same result - him breaking that rule. I'm far from a fan of Daredevil, but a kick to the head (while still serious and COULD be lethal) has less of a chance to kill someone than a machine gun or anything in that 3 1/2 minute video you just posted. DD throwing someone down a flight of stairs isn't comparable to Batman dropping The Joker off a ledge from a building or a thug down a elevator shaft or whatever that was.

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's not what I'm arguing. You're using Daredevil as Marvel's example of the "no kill" rule and how maybe the things he did ended with the same result - him breaking that rule. I'm far from a fan of Daredevil, but a kick to the head (while still serious and COULD be lethal) has less of a chance to kill someone than a machine gun or anything in that 3 1/2 minute video you just posted. DD throwing someone down a flight of stairs isn't comparable to Batman dropping The Joker off a ledge from a building or a thug down a elevator shaft or whatever that was.

There's less of a chance but a trained fighter with boots on kicking people in the head.. ehh.  Some of them are either going to have severe brain damage or die. The other stuff with Batman "killing" or not killing, it's just so weird to see people going "Fuck Snyder" when just watch the Batman kill count vid and see it happens in every movie.  A lot.

I can't believe I forgot this:

Something else to add to the "This movie is the collected splooge of every WB executive's Superman movie wet dream" file:  the weird scene with the Flash that plants the seeds for an INJUSTICE movie, of all things.

Just...why?

The Friday box office is great ($82 million domestic) but the cinemascore is soft (a B) which might lead to a softer Saturday/Sunday.

Fourth best single day ever, fwiw, if the estimate holds (only about a hundred thousand above Jurassic World) and will almost certainly be the best March open, best DC open, and a top ten all-time weekend. The big question now is how much do the bad reviews and decent but not great audience reviews effect next weekend and beyond?