DVDVR Message Board

DC MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I was searching for a thread about Ex Machina and for some reason I stumbled upon this thread from a couple years ago:

A thread about us arguing about Man of Steel 

And found this quote of mine and I'm now laughing my ass off.

MarcosLoura, on 20 Jul 2013 - 8:59 PM, said:

This movie will be shit.

Never forget - 20/6/2013

BTW can some direct me to a Ex Machina discussion/thread?

I love Bane's voice. It's fun to me. It's fun to quote that shit too.

Batman used the Batman voice when there wasn't anyone around. He used it for Catwoman, Bane and Talia when they knew who he was.

• Like 1

I was searching for a thread about Ex Machina and for some reason I stumbled upon this thread from a couple years ago:

I'd also like to point out that there were like 20 additional pages of us arguing about MoS before that which were lost to a board crash.

AND WE ARE MERE DAYS AWAY FROM RESUMING THE BLOODSHED ANEW.

• Like 1

I'd also like to point out that there were like 20 additional pages of us arguing about MoS before that which were lost to a board crash.

AND WE ARE MERE DAYS AWAY FROM RESUMING THE BLOODSHED ANEW.

I liked your post but then I thought "I ain't seeing this movie in the next 3 years or so" and I got sad. Of the lack of arguing participation.

Yes, because if I can't get realism out of any iteration of a story about a man who dresses as a bat and fights a man dressed as a clown, the world goes to shit.

I just read thru the last 2.5 pages. I'll see myself out.

Realism is actually the problem. In real life Bruce Wayne would be irrevocably damaged by seeing his parents murdered in front of him. But Batman is really the story of an exceptional person being inspired by the worst thing that ever happened to him to make his world a better place. Nolan got kind of close to that (his trilogy is actually if nothing else a meditation on civic responsibility), but Snyder seems to be taking a step back into wreckless sociopath Burton Bats territory.

For the flaws I find in Nolan's trilogy, especially the last one, I still have to give it a lot of credit. No other director has gotten so much of his own vision and personality as a filmmaker into a major comic book film as him since the early 2000's. When every thing was tightening up and cracking down on rough edges and personal vision after Lee's Hulk and Singer's Superman got lukewarm or worse reactions, Nolan was seemingly getting Warner to back off more with each film.

The score is laughably bad. Peter Griffin walking music-esque to foreshadow EVERYTHING.
The opening scene. We need a surreal Bond-esque opening.
The constant dream sequences that aren't really necessary
Affleck is a terrible Batman. The booking doesn't help him either. He fights Superman like he's Flair wrestling the Giant on a Nitro in 95, rather than Bret fighting for his life against Nash or Taker.
Amy Adams looks awful. Like deliberately awful. I'm not sure why they had her gain weight for the role?
Batman using guns and killing people for no real reason.
Lex Luthor/Heath Ledger tribute night.
Fight to the death that suddenly stops over realising they both have moms named Martha. Sorry about that nearly killing you thing, bro.
Wonder Woman's Israeli accent.
Blow their load on Doomsday for no real reason in about five minutes.
Try to do with Justice League in half a film that Avengers took about 8-9 films to do.
Hey, time travel plot that goes nowhere!

• Like 1

I think the writer of X-Men: First Class and Thor and the Flash pilot, Zack Stentz  says it best:  

"Zack Stentz@MuseZack 13h "I have no dog in the #BvS hunt, but a lot of these reviews feel written in advance by people who hate the grim Snyder tone & wanted to vent."

Exactly right. Pretty much every review I've read could have been a review from three years ago.  "I didn't like the tone" or "where's the fun" or "where's the humor"

This isn't a movie that people who only want one tone or direction for comic films is going to like. We could see that from watching the trailers. DC is committed to this at least for Batman and it makes sense.  It would be illogical for there to be one liners and dancing in a movie where a thousand people just died. Why does DC have to placate these people? So what, you can't bring your ten-year old. Then bring him to something else. There's plenty of options out there. I've heard nothing but great things about Zootopia.

Just now, Matt D said:

If you can't bring your 10 year old to a fucking Superman movie,then something's gone horribly wrong.

It's not a Superman movie. It's a Superman and Batman movie. Batman has been "dark" since forever. He used to hang people from helicopters. Joker kills his loved ones every other week.  What you just posted is your own opinion on the matter and that's fine but you stating it as fact.. is not fine.   Go to IMDB. The thing has a 9.0 rating from the people who have seen it. So obviously your opinion isn't going to go for everyone...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

To be fair, those people are the problem with our country.. 

DC is making movies for their fans I would assume... They aren't making movies for a hundred critics or Matt D. You knew this three years ago yet here you are still complaining about it and you have the same 3-4 people in here who all knew it and are still complaining about it..  what's the issue?  Is everyone supposed to feel like you or I guess Fowler? Nobody is making you watch it or post about it.

1 minute ago, RolandTHTG said:

I didn't mind Man of Steel at all.

I'm going to the IMAX tomorrow. I'm fair. If I think there's issues with it, I'll say there are issues with it but Stentz is exactly right. People like Matt had their reviews prewritten three years ago.