DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

Reading more on Porzingis, I really love the pick. I don't get the Knicks fans' desire to "improve the team now" through the draft when firstly: their team is the absolute shits outside of one player, secondly: hardly any drafted player outside of Okafor and Towns (and even then) is going to make much of an immediate impact next season, and thirdly: there's still free agency and that's where New York can do the most damage (for better or worse).

Porzingis has such a great, rare combination of skill and size. If he works out, he'll be a massive impact player for as long as his body holds up. Complaints about his strength and ability to defend the interior are probably mistaken because he's not a center despite his size. His mobility and athleticism are "off the charts" for a player of his size, so that suggests he should be able to guard wing players and the quicker 4s. I hope the Knicks help develop his post game and rebounding, because he could be a complete package if he puts those things together. Some scouts say he has the most potential out of any player in the draft.

Looking at it a little closer, it looks like the complaining Knicks fans just don't want to take their medicine. Quick fixes are what got you here in the first place.

• Like 1

The Knicks fans at the draft are the sports equivalent of the dudes who chant we are awesome at the Raw after Wrestlemania. Their gimmick is to boo the Knicks/Jets/Giants decision, no matter how much sense it makes. They Knicks could have drafted a clone of Michael Jordan made in a secret lab in Montana by Phil Jackson and the Knicks fans would have booed. 

Really, the Knicks were in a tough position. Their draft going well was predicated on one of the three teams in front of them screwing up. No one did. They were left with a choice of drafting a high potential candidate and basically conceding what is left of Carmelo Anthony's prime, or you reach at four and pick a win now played that will assuredly end up worse than some players you passed on. Prozingas probably won't work out because there is a better than average chance that any of these players won't work out. It's not the Knicks ineptitude, or rotten luck or anything else like that. It's statistics. Most high draft picks fail to live up to their potential in the NBA. 

Well there is something very much to be said about the average Knicks fan aka idiot, who think the Knicks (especially because they are in the East) should be contenders this year.

The SAS clip should give you proof of this.

You couldn't pay me to watch that idiot talk. He and Skip Bayless personify everything wrong with ESPN and sports "journalism". 

From what I've seen, it looked like everybody outside of the top 3 were clear projects and New York picked the project with the most upside. They also picked up a 22yo PG ready to play right now. Seems like a good draft for them.

All the free agency talk seems to be surrounding LA, doesn't New York have a bunch of cash even with shitbums like Bargnani? 

• Like 1

Liked the Lakers draft, but probably would have preferred R.J. Hunter over Larry Nance Jr. Granted that's probably because I've only seen clips of Nance Jr. and also because R.J. can shoot.  Media bringing up Nance Jr's Kobe "rapist" tweet. Kuphchak said they were aware of  it and said Kobe and Nance Jr. will have to resolve that. (hopefully on video!)

If Lakers are going after Aldridge, better go all-out really fast before the Spurs clear out cap room.

I'm assuming Celtics would have gone for Justise Winslow or was this offer before the draft OR for Frank The Tank?

Deandre Jordan to meet with Mavs, Bucks, Knicks & Lakers! Clippers can offer him the max.

It was to get Winslow, according to CBSportline, where I got the story. . . 

16, 28, that unprotected 2018 Brooklyn 1 pick, a mystery first, and 2 2nds for the 9 pick and Winslow.

Even if Winslow's for real...they say "the best trades are the ones you don't make", but that trade's so huge Boston would deserve to get fleeced for even offering it. If they offered that in the rumored "Noel and the 3 pick" deal, it'd still be too high a deal.

DeAndre Jordan is talking to a few teams for free agency. Mot of the teams are what you'd expect. Then the other is MILWAUKEE!

I really want this to happen because:

1) Milwaukee is one of my favorite cities.
2) The Bucks defense would be bananas. The East still stinks. They'll have a shot at a home playoff series or two with him.
3) Seriously, WTF, Milwaukee?

I think Jason Kidd might be the best thing that could have happened to Milwaukee. He has the player rep, he has rehabbed his coaching rep and he is a bona fide superstar. I could see people wanting to play for Jason Kidd. 

I think it helps that J.Kidd was playing with most of these guys no more than 2 years ago.  There is already that personal familiarity with him by the players.  He has the rare knowledge of having played the old way, and the modern way.

16, 28, that unprotected 2018 Brooklyn 1 pick, a mystery first, and 2 2nds for the 9 pick and Winslow.

Even if Winslow's for real...they say "the best trades are the ones you don't make", but that trade's so huge Boston would deserve to get fleeced for even offering it. If they offered that in the rumored "Noel and the 3 pick" deal, it'd still be too high a deal.

You're way overvaluing those picks. That offer is a joke for just the 3rd pick alone. It isn't even a great offer for 9. 16th pick is where you get guy that are most likely going to be career backups. The average minutes per game for the 16th pick is 17. Just last year the Bulls had to give up 16 and 19 just to move up to 11.

Right now the Brooklyn 2018 unprotected first has little value. The real value of it won't be known until the trade deadline in 2017. The Lakers lottery pick this year got the Phoenix Suns Brandon Knight. A player that had 2 months left on his contract that was going to be a restricted free agent after the season. That wasn't all Phoenix had to put into the deal. Tyler Ennis, the 18th pick in 2014, and Miles Plumlee were also included. The Nets pick does have the potential to be more valuable than the Lakers pick since it is unprotected. That won't be known until the 2017 deadline. Any team offered that pick will have to assume the worst case scenario.

That offer is just a handful of backups. The difference in average playing time from pick 9 to 16 is close to 10 minutes. The difference in average games played for career is also large. A difference of over 2 seasons. The 28th pick I suppose you could get a value out of it if you can somehow convince San Antonio to make the pick for you.

A lot of Sixers fans thought that the Sixers could use the picks they are owed next year to get a 2nd top 5 pick this year. They were crazy. The moment those picks were pushed back to the 2016 draft their value dropped substantially. Top 5 picks are the most valuable things in the league after established superstars. Highest chance of finding a star and the contract is relatively cheap and 4 years.

Reading more on Porzingis, I really love the pick. I don't get the Knicks fans' desire to "improve the team now" through the draft when firstly: their team is the absolute shits outside of one player, secondly: hardly any drafted player outside of Okafor and Towns (and even then) is going to make much of an immediate impact next season, and thirdly: there's still free agency and that's where New York can do the most damage (for better or worse).

Porzingis has such a great, rare combination of skill and size. If he works out, he'll be a massive impact player for as long as his body holds up. Complaints about his strength and ability to defend the interior are probably mistaken because he's not a center despite his size. His mobility and athleticism are "off the charts" for a player of his size, so that suggests he should be able to guard wing players and the quicker 4s. I hope the Knicks help develop his post game and rebounding, because he could be a complete package if he puts those things together. Some scouts say he has the most potential out of any player in the draft.

I wanted either him or Russell. You are right that he can handle guarding the smaller wings. Off pick and rolls he can handle either player. Making him have one valuable NBA skill already. Got to watch a bunch of his games since his team posts full games onto youtube. You can question his overall awareness sometimes. Doesn't have the best instincts. Which effects his passing. He moves great though with or without the ball. Even if he isn't going to be a strong rebounder he will be valuable on breaks. Either trailing for the 3 or attacking the basket. I was disappointed we didn't take him but not all that surprised I suppose. I read and post on a bunch of different Sixers boards and I'm pretty sure I am the only one that wanted him over Okafor. He moves well enough laterally that if the Sixers had drafted him I could see them throwing him out there at the 3 occasionally. Not ideal of course but a potential match up advantage to use sparingly.

I wouldn't recommend this in the real world but C- Embiid, PF- Noel, SF- Porzingis, SG- Covington, PG- Saric would have been one hell of a video game lineup; a mess in the real world even if Saric is the best ball handler and passer we own the rights too. Very intriguing prospect. I am not in love with the idea of trying him at center but I'm sure some people will see him and think poor man's Ralph Sampson. Which wouldn't be a bad thing to be. Healthy Ralph Sampson was quite a sight.

I thought the Knicks, Minnesota and Miami were the draft winners. I liked Washington grabbing Oubre as well. Gave the Sixers a C- minus grade.

Here is the channel with his games

https://youtu.be/BwuByrZ0tdc

• Like 1

The longer this Sixers rebuild goes on, the more convinced I am that it just isn't going to work.  You have players refusing to work out for you, players who know they won't be on the team by the end of the season, and now you have a log jam at the most antiquated NBA position.  Good coaching might not be able to change the culture of losing if your FO is so damn blatant about it.  

I mean, look at this..

.http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/6/28/8858761/jahlil-okafor-drops-his-sixers-jersey-like-its-trash

I'm sure he had his heart set on the Lakers and his people probably built that up as an eventuality. He'll get over it. It was interesting to see how many centers Philly drafted Thursday but I think they'll be fine. I'm sure Cole Miner read the ESPN article on Hinkie from February, did anybody else? Pretty fascinating guy and while it's a big gamble what he's doing, it's exciting to watch from a distance. Prior to the draft, a lot of their future success relied on what happens with Embiid, but Jahlil presents them with a contingency. I could see a front court of those two being nearly unstoppable, particularly for smaller teams. Even for the immediate future a Noel/Okafor tandem would seem to complement each other really nicely. Okafor is such a talent at finding the open man (likely Noel) off the double team. Noel's defender, if he's not bringing the soft double, would still be cheating, allowing Noel more room for putbacks and rebounds. I like it in theory.

I watched some of that video you linked on Porzingis. He's got a beautiful shot and is a great athlete from an initial viewing but his decision making is pretty slow and, yeah, he's not aggressive on the glass. Those are things he can work on though.

Oh, yeah... Refined business man Carmello Anthony hates the Porzingis pick. Because clearly Mudiay or Hezonja is the difference between the Knicks being the worst or a playoff team. Fucking Knicks.

Edit: Philly has to pay New Orleans $3 million because they didn't disclose Holiday's injury history.