DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

Just for the record - I got that graphic from this WSJ article

Basically - in the sample size we are looking at - Spring Training HRs SEEM to carry forward if you are already "established" (which again - who the fuck knows what exactly quantifies "establshed")

Of course the Cubs pray Bryant is Bautista or Trout and not some of the other names on that list

(or that he doesn't drive into the canyon that Ryan Howard did)

This franchise is truly fucked forever if he turns out like Ryan Howard.

Then again, the Phillies did win a World Series...

Oh who am I kidding, I would settle for second wild card spot at this point.

It really doesn't mean much of anything, but all of the players on that list aside from Trout are much older and more experienced than Bryant. There's a difference between a 27-year old 4A guy and a 23-year old who has played one full season in the minors losing their shit during the spring.

Also, it's a shame that recent events of destroyed the career of Ryan Howard. Wasn't a regular until he was 25, and that was only over 88 games. His run from 05-09 is ridiculous. Then, he got the asinine contract, blew out his Achilles, and he turned into a platoon guy getting forced to play every day.,

It may be better suited for the "Stupid Crap Baseball Players Do" thread, but Brady Aiken, you know, the first round pick who didn't sign with the Astros, revealed he had TJS on Wednesday.

Smooth move kid.

It may be better suited for the "Stupid Crap Baseball Players Do" thread, but Brady Aiken, you know, the first round pick who didn't sign with the Astros, revealed he had TJS on Wednesday.

Smooth move kid.

Hold up a second - he and the Astros had agreed to a deal. The Astros then decided to lower their offer after discovering an "abnormality" in his arm (which it turns out they were probably right to do)

This wasn't like he was looking for a cash grab - the agreed on a deal (that was lower than the draft slot to begin with) and then when Houston wanted to go even lower - they balked.

Everyone agreed with him at the time.

He'll still get drafted, but he probably won't get that $5 million he was offered last year. Toronto took a guy named Jeff Hoffman, who was in the 1-1 conversation last year pre-TJ, and he got about $3.1. Washington gave a kid named Erick Fedde $2.5 after his TJ in the spring. Aiken's not going 1-1 again, probably won't go in the top five, but it's not as if his career is completely done.

Fair enough. My memory on the history of all that is admittedly a little fuzzy.

In other news, one of the rooftop owners currently suing the Cubs for their expansion was indicted for fraud, under-reporting attendance and revenue between 2008 and 2011.

Oh, and the lawsuit that rooftop owner is bringing against the Cubs is because the Cubs are in violation of their contract with the rooftops...

...you know, the contract that states that the Cubs can terminate the agreement in the event of this very fucking thing the rooftop owner is being indicted for.

You can't make this shit up. Well played rooftops. Idiots.

Yes. I don't want to pimp the site, but bleedcubbieblue.com has been covering the process with nearly daily construction pictures and it's a fucking mess. The magnitude of these changes is enormous. I'm not sure how they thought this could be completed in the off-season.

Plus, the complete renovations will now take five years to complete. That includes the new concourse, club houses, training rooms, offices, restaurants, etc.

It isn't good. I can't copy and paste the picture here, but if you follow the link to see what things look like.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2015/3/26/8294943/wrigley-field-construction-update-march-25#4702954

This was from WEDNESDAY...