DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - Spring Training!

Dolfan in NYC

Neither is surprising. Baez is a strikeout machine and looks like a bust the way he flails away. Bryant will be brought up 12 calendar days into the season. The games he misses will not be impactful enough to launch or prevent a Cubs post-season push.

He'll still get drafted, but he probably won't get that $5 million he was offered last year. Toronto took a guy named Jeff Hoffman, who was in the 1-1 conversation last year pre-TJ, and he got about $3.1. Washington gave a kid named Erick Fedde $2.5 after his TJ in the spring. Aiken's not going 1-1 again, probably won't go in the top five, but it's not as if his career is completely done.

To continue on this, keep in mind Lucas Giolito, who is really really good, like best pitching prospect in baseball good. If I'm a team sitting around 10, and Aikens on the board, I'm jumping as fast as possible.

Honestly, I think the Cubs take him if he's in the board, there isn't a bad in this draft that matches a Bryant or Schwarber.

Well, because Harper was 17 when he was drafted and didn't make his full season, pro debut until 18. He also had a major league deal (RIP) at the time, so it was less an issue of pushing back his service time and more about pushing back his Super 2 (which they still failed at). Fun fact: Bryant is half a year older than Harper, and *still* has more minor league plate appearances than him.

Strasburg only made 11 starts in the minors during his full season pro debut (and I saw his first home start, and it was awesome) before getting called up. He also had a major league deal, so it didn't matter all that much. Then he blew out that rookie year, so maybe they should have taken it slower with him.

Strasburg only made 11 starts in the minors during his full season pro debut (and I saw his first home start, and it was awesome) before getting called up. He also had a major league deal, so it didn't matter all that much. Then he blew out that rookie year, so maybe they should have taken it slower with him.

One could argue that you saw his BEST start ever

I lost my mind watching that game. Poor Pirates had no chance.

It makes me sad to see how much he's been marginalized and neglected since the TJ and 2012 shutdown. Dude is just 26, has a 3.02 ERA in 649 IP, and has a 4.49 K:BB. Ridiculous.

When those strange rumors were out there last season of getting Starlin involved in a trade for Stras, I was like, yes please! I would still do a deal involving those pieces.

Since Joe isn't pimping it on here, y'all should check out his write up on the changes to ESPN's MLB broadcasts.

For the baseball season, I think I might just not renew Amazon Prime to instead subscribe to Sling just to get ESPN. I will still need to figure out how I'm going to watch WGN and CSN broadcasts of Cubs games, but at least I can watch some baseball on ESPN.

As long as I want to watch baseball here, I *can't* cut the cord, which completely sucks. If I did, I'd be blacked out of four teams. Ideally, that'll get taken care of this season, but we all know it won't happen.

I'm blacked out of Cubs games here, which I guess makes sense considering my proximity to Chicago. I suppose I could go through the effort of using some .ru website, but fuck that.

I live in Rockford, and I'm pretty sure we're blacked out of all Cubs games. Stupid, stupid rule.

You are for sure blacked out. Hell, you might even be blacked out of Brewers games. 

You all need to get with the program and live 2000 miles from all the teams you follow like I do :)

This.

Plus, working overnights been getting to watch Scully and Kuiper/Krukow, in addition to the Friars.

CBhfF5YWwAMA2eX.jpg

That video board in tiny Wrigley looks soooooo freaking surreal.

Its like someone took a masterpiece of art, then put a big skid mark down it . . . .Only the Cubs could screw up the second greatest park in MLB. (Fenway, if you ask; and the sox fucked that up with the green monster billboards; though not as badly considering there was once ads on it)