DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Shannon Knapp says Cyborg dropping weight is off the table for now since a Rousey/Holm rematch shelves the possibility of Rousey/Cyborg, so she's staying at 145 to defend her Invicta title in her next fight.

Cyborg's new opponent will be Daria Ibragimova. Dandois is trying out for TUF so she won't be available.

• Like 1

So while you guys get Bellator, Glory, WsoF and other B-events that might actually have some good fights, I'm still stuck with ONE. I'm not going too far down this rabbit hole because my internet sucks, but looking up news for this Friday's show headlined by Vera vs. Chi Lewis Parry's fight, led me to this ( ripped from another forum) :

Fight's off, Parry out for not submitting medical exams / drug tests on time.

Parry :

This picture was sent to me by a fan who wanted to know if my World title fight against Brandon Vera @ One Championship is still happening? As far as I am aware there is only 1 HW bout on the Manila card next Friday and that's me vs Brandon Vera! So why is another HW being flown out to Manila on fight week if they are not fighting??? One Championship is very tight with their purse strings so there is NO WAY they are bringing Paul out to just enjoy the show! My management contacted One personnel to ask if Vera may potentially be injured, but their response was adamant he WILL BE fighting on December 11th. Then the words that followed were "There will be a heavyweight title fight in manila". A complete lack of specification as to who the heavyweights involved would be. Too many events have happened leading up to this fight, I should have recognised earlier. I know I'm outspoken and I speak my mind, but all I want is what I work for and I work hard for this! I MADE THIS FIGHT! Without me noone would care who Brandon fights cos the division is weak! THIS IS NOT A RANT, this is an explanation to the loyal fans who have been anticipating this beautiful match up. One are trying to oust me & foil my title dreams! If these are the games that are going to be played, then I do not want to be champion here! Paul Cheng is a great guy! So I'm glad he's getting in the mix but tut tut tut One Championship. ‪#‎badform‬ ‪#‎snakes‬ ‪#‎con‬ ‪#‎one‬ ‪#‎faux‬ ‪#‎fake‬ ‪#‎lies‬

..and a few days later...

Dear world. As I forewarned, One Championship have ripped my shot from my grasp. They pretended Paul Cheng was travelling to Manila JUST for media obligations and lied to EVERY SINGLE FAN! Now they have made up their excuse (which has taken them days to form) and are blaming me with bogus accusations. It's disgusting that an organisation claiming to be one of the top competitors in the world are happy to pull stunts like this. REMEMBER, I CALLED THIS DAYS AGO! One failed to respond with the truth now they blame me. Legal action is to follow and the exploitation and misrepresentation of fighter/athletes will STOP @ One Championship for good! I'm sorry for the fans that have been lied to by Victor Cui and One.

Will Chope's take on things :

Except the only drug tests they require in Philippines by the commission is emphatamines & THC tests. None of the events in ONE have they ever tested for steroids. I have fought in Philippines half a dozen times and have many friends/team mates that have fought for ONE and were never tested for roids. What else is funny is that these drugs tests and including blood tests for HIV, Hep B & C are very simple and there are tons of clinics in Manila that can do them during fight week and get same day results.

Seriously bullshit
I have cornered a fighter who has submitted tests late and I know people who have gotten wrong tests and had to get them done the week of the fight for ONE.
So I know it's a completely bullshit reason they are using.
and I don't believe for a second Chi Lewis didn't board his plane or was scared.
This is crazy

So yeah, stay sketchy ONE...

FrontRowBrian® ‏@FrontRowBrian  12m12 minutes ago
Hearing there's a very strong possibility that Titan FC has ran their final show. Mass exodus of staff members. Fighters want out too.

Their 12/18 show was cancelled this morning.  

That would suck if it is true.

The rest of the Invicta 15 card looks pretty good. Lacey Schuckman vs Mizuki Inoue, Amanda Bell vs. Ediane Gomes, Shannon Sinn vs. Christine Stanley, and Megan Anderson vs. Amber Leibrock. Also Colleen Schneider replaces Irene Aldana against Raquel Pa'aluhi.

Invicta 16 set for March 11 in Las Vegas, to feature a flyweight tournament.

Holms / Rousey 2 is set for July.  Ronda won't be ready for that fight with all of the soft tissue palate injuries she has.  Her upper and lower front five teeth are loosened and she probably won't eat hard food for another three months and she probably needs six months just to heal. 

No way will she be up for training that soon.  Dana White is going to get her permanently scarred.

• Like 1

Holms / Rousey 2 is set for July.  Ronda won't be ready for that fight with all of the soft tissue palate injuries she has.  Her upper and lower front five teeth are loosened and she probably won't eat hard food for another three months and she probably needs six months just to heal. 

No way will she be up for training that soon.  Dana White is going to get her permanently scarred.

Didn't that same Ramona Shelburne story say she has been eating fast food?

Rousey-v-Holm II is short-tem bullshit and bad promoting. They've just made a new star, and now they already wanna sacrifice her.

UFC 200 will be a big show with or without Ronda.

It's basically the Backlash 2000 argument. WWF had a white-hot Rock hold off another month from WrestleMania and made a killing on Backlash as a result with the knowledge WrestleMania was going to draw with or with the title switch.

They should have probably had this headline 201 and use 200 as the lead in for it. It is a little hotshotty to do it this way.

Rousey-v-Holm II is short-tem bullshit and bad promoting. They've just made a new star, and now they already wanna sacrifice her.

I think what their expectations are for a big show and what most people consider a big show seem to be two completely different things.

UFC 175 was a "big" show, but that show was going to be a much bigger hit on PPV before everything fell apart. Right now, they really don't have anything for that card that is >50% of happening other than perhaps Punk fighting. That itself could always change because he could get injured again or Duke Roufus or whoever manages him could put the kibosh on that.

GSP could come back or probably won't. Maybe he fights a superfight against Anderson, but Anderson still has to fight Vitor in Rio. Keep in mind, GSP-Anderson has fell apart everytime BEFORE it could reach negotiations.

JBJ and Cormier are tentatively scheduled to fight 4/23 in MSG. Could be in Anaheim. July 9 would be pushing it because they probably want to get the media tour out of the way. That would be maybe a week or so after that card. Plus, they would have enter training camp 2-3 weeks after that fight.

McGregor might not win this weekend. He might and they could have him fight before then. I don't think it will be at Croke Park, but they got to have main events before UFC 200.

Werdum-Velasquez II is happening SuperBowl weekend. How many marketable fights can you make after that? The most profitable HW fight potentially involves someone who has never fought at HW and is mostly likely fighting a little over two months prior to card. In addition, if Cain wins, do you really want to make the main event where one of the most injury riddled champions in UFC history is part of it? The second most profitable HW fights involves someone, as indicated by signing with RIZIN, that doesn't seem particularly interested in fighting the best heavyweights. Plus, who knows how long this RIZIN charade will go on?

I think it's way too complicated to compare it to WrestleMania. While the WWE sees their share of injuries (this rash of injuries that just happened to them over the last year) and people having other legitimate commitments (movies mostly) more important than one wrestling match, the UFC still cannot plan for this show like a wrestling promotion can.

While I am not 100% committed that Rousey-Holm needs to happen yet and at UFC 200, I am about 90%-95% sure it needs to happen at some point. The big fights do need to manifest in an authentic manner, which I favor the most. A lot of the stuff that I've seen is just pure fantasy booking and speculation. However, how many big fights realistically do you have right now? Right now, before the biggest week in company history, the only fight has manifested that you can do at UFC 200 is Holly Holm vs. Ronda Rousey II. After Saturday night, you could have more. However, right now, it is only one.

Nah.  Who do you think the UFC is better off having out front as their superstar? Easy answer.  So the potential outcomes are Rousey wins and you're back to where you want to be or Holly Holm beats Ronda for a second time and now you have something even bigger to work with than just the one Holm KO.  If you don't do the rematch and Holly gets slept by some other fighter in the division then you wasted it.  Holly Holm is vanilla and no charisma.  Unless she turns out to just be destroyer of worlds I doubt there's any desire to protect her or keep her at the top. 

I get that the rematch is a money fight, but it doesn't seem like Rousey will be ready for that fight in July.  

Not to mention she's saying she will retire if she loses again.  I get that you got to get as much money as you can from Rousey before she leaves from a promoter's standpoint, but this just seems like a bad long-term move.

I get that the rematch is a money fight, but it doesn't seem like Rousey will be ready for that fight in July.  

Not to mention she's saying she will retire if she loses again.  I get that you got to get as much money as you can from Rousey before she leaves from a promoter's standpoint, but this just seems like a bad long-term move.

I don't think we (or the UFC) should be scared of what Rousey is saying. In the same Shelburne story, she said what else is she going to do but fight. Rousey is a walking contradiction. I can't eat an apple, but yeah I been sleeping and eating terrible processed food for weeks along with whatever I did for Thanksgiving.

Keep in mind, she wasn't exactly talking about staying in the sport PRIOR to UFC 193. Either shit or get off the pot. The UFC can only matchmake for themselves. Well, so and so is going to retire if they lose. Shit, then what's stopping that person from doing that now?

I think people are looking for answers here without reading in between the lines.

I still think waiting that long for a women's title fight when Rousey just lost decisively is a mistake when you have two ready and healthy contenders.  Now we are log-jamming the whole division for up to maybe over a year's time.  

Also, I still get this feeling that Dana White and the UFC are doing this rematch hoping the result will be different this time.  Rousey will actually take the fight more seriously and come with a different game plan and all that.  However, Rousey was unbeatable before this fight.  That's no longer the case.  Now that she's lost this fight, she will likely lose again.

I still think waiting that long for a women's title fight when Rousey just lost decisively is a mistake when you have two ready and healthy contenders.  Now we are log-jamming the whole division for up to maybe over a year's time.  

I like how that's the case when people were bitching and complaining prior to the UFC snatching a third fight with Rousey from Tate. How did we go from "She's gotta fight Cyborg and that's what everyone wants to see. Cyborg needs to get down to 135" to there is a logjam. That's fucking ridiculous. The division is abysmal beyond a handful of fighters. Is Miesha Tate going anywhere? Nope. Is Amanda Nunes going anywhere? Nope. You can still make those fights down the line WITH or WITHOUT Ronda Rousey. It won't be that profitable (maybe they can be somewhat), but as long as the most profitable fight remains that particular rematch, then all the other stuff is irrelevant.

If GSP came back TOMORROW and wanted to fight Lawler, Dana White ain't saying "Shit, we still got make Lawler vs. Woodley and Lawler vs. Hendricks III". It ain't happening, captain. All that other shit ceases to matter. It's a money making enterprise in combat sports. We're not talking about the college football playoffs.

• Like 1