DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Santos missed weight for his OneFC fight vs. Askren and still no word AFAIK whether or not the fight will go forward. Sucks for OneFC, they FINALLY get back on Fox Sports, put a fair amount of effort into hyping the fight ( Askren was on Sports Central / the main sports news show last night) and now they might be left with only the typical ONE calibur undercard. Booo...I was looking forward to finally getting to watch some mma on primetime.

Edit : Holy crap - just checked the facebook page to see if thee was any update- show  starts in like 4 hours - and saw that the co-main guy missed weight too for a title fight. Fight will go on as a super fight but still...

I am not going to say Sapo is on steroids.

But yeah, he is on steroids.

I like that Ben Askren is wasting away the best part of his career fighting nobodies in a promotion filled with nobodies. Some who happened to be clearly abusing steroids. But hey, it's his career.

No kidding, if Askren's not regretting that decision he's crazy. From what I've seen, he's been pretty on form in his last few fights - by that I mean if he had just taken fights with regional promotions, UFC would have come calling. I can't imagine he's getting paid THAT much from One and there is obviously no room to climb up the payscale there. At least in UFC he'd have that opportunity even if starting in a lower salary bracket. I thought he came across really well hyping the fight last night too.

Also, did see that it's an agreement that if Sapo weighs 190 lbs or under today the fight will still go on. I had kind of assumed that Askren was holding out for a boatload of money in the hopes that he'd get paid-off so that the fight could happen and then promptly released for insulting the ONE FC brass. The former makes more sense but the latter would be nice.

Well per Askren, he's getting paid more than 80 percent of the guys on the UFC roster.  Also per Brandon Vera, ONE FC takes care of the fighters and gives them really nice hotels and stuff.

Well, what else are they going to say? The company treats them like shit?

At least with Vera, there aren't that many places for him to go after he washed out of the UFC. He fills a very tiny niche in a promotion that wants to be use Filipino fighters whenever they head there.

Askren is someone who has talked about realizing when the sport has past him by and about his legacy. If he was 23, I would have no gripes about him fighting in One FC. However, with the way the welterweight division is crackling right now stateside, you would think he would be the guy who want to get in on becoming a star and breaking out from some of the other guys. These younger guys in the UFC have a platform where they can do just that. At 31, Askren doesn't have that. He also doesn't have a place where he can sufficiently raise his stock to get paid respectfully once he makes that leap over. What has he done since leaving Bellator that would make you believe he should get more money than your average middle of the road welterweight? 

If One FC was that company that had in roads in the US and had coverage, he would be well within his rights to continue fighting for them. However, they don't and most likely will never have that. Thus, why call out anyone from the UFC if you're fighting janitors at 6 AM when everyone in your home country is sound asleep and have no idea you just fought? He is just sliding deeper and deeper into irrelevancy.

It looks like RDA is still training based on social media. Cerrone was training yesterday as well.

Fighters have done that before when they are injured and denied there was anything wrong in the past.

I think we would know by now. It may be something with a drug test. Who knows?

John Morgan @MMAjunkieJohn 1m

Dong Hyun Kim will now face Dominic Waters in South Korea, according to UFC officials.

Strange choice of opponent, but given the circumstance, I guess it's better than not having DHK fight at all.

Update to the update on the next Invicta show: It looks like it may be in January now as that's when Cyborg said she was fighting next in Guilherme Cruz's story last night on MMA Fighting. Still no opponent.

MMA in NY news: Judge Kimba Wood granted an extension for NYS to respond to the UFC's preliminary injunction. The deadline was 11/13, which has since passed. I believe the attorney said his wife got sick or something of that nature.

Dana White is on Joe Rogan Experience this week and they talk about the Rousey/Holm fight.  Definitely worth a listen.

The UFC plastic surgery bill must be fucking insane based on what happened to Lawler and Penne.

Dana White is on Joe Rogan Experience this week and they talk about the Rousey/Holm fight.  Definitely worth a listen.

The UFC plastic surgery bill must be fucking insane based on what happened to Lawler and Penne.

This was an offhand conversation, but I remember once talking to Brandon Vera and how much his facial reconstruction surgery cost, I think it was either after Jon Jones or his Thiago Silva fight.  He said UFC paid for like $80K surgery.

This was an offhand conversation, but I remember once talking to Brandon Vera and how much his facial reconstruction surgery cost, I think it was either after Jon Jones or his Thiago Silva fight.  He said UFC paid for like $80K surgery.

It would have to be the Thiago Silva fight. Jon only got his orbital bone. Thiago made him look like a circus sideshow attraction from 1926.