DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I think the UFC was more excited about making Bellator look silly than having back Rampage long term. Now that they had their fun they are back to not really caring about Rampage anymore.

Exactly. That and he's not a commodity really worth the time and trouble for. If he was an exciting fighter in his prime, then that would probably be worth the effort to maybe look into his situation. Otherwise, it's not really something you should concern yourself with.

Can she make 115?

She said she couldn't but now she is saying she is walking around at 132.

I don't think her problem is her size because she can wrestle, GnP, and grapple girls at bantamweight. If she goes to 115, the skill disparity and lack of diverse offense will be more apparent against girls who won't allow her to repeat the same strategy.

If Bellator is going after 125ers and looking for former UFC talent, they're more likely to end up with the Jessica Andrades rather than the Miesha Tates.

Gary Goodridge?

but for real. UFC, open up the coffers and bring in Kharitonov. his last MMA loss was to Josh Barnett in the Strikeforce HW GP. he hasn't had a kickboxing match in a year. plus it'll hurt whichever japanese promotion reaches out to him first.

• Like 1

I just looked him up to see what he's been doing lately and he's still somewhat active.  I wonder why he never tried to further his career in the states.  He's got good striking and a lot of power.  There are guys in that neighborhood with those types of skills who have made a pretty good career in the UFC. 

I just looked him up to see what he's been doing lately and he's still somewhat active. I wonder why he never tried to further his career in the states. He's got good striking and a lot of power. There are guys in that neighborhood with those types of skills who have made a pretty good career in the UFC.

I don't know if it's the legit reason, but in at least one interview he stated that the UFC offers too restricted a schedule. Basically, he was worried that he'd fight once a year and couldn't do any other bookings.

I'm surprised he hasn't landed in Bellator. As far as "big guys who punch hard" go, Kharitanov is pretty high on the list, and heavyweight is one division where that particular skill set can get you places.

Well, he still is be doing kickboxing in between those MMA fights. The problem is none of those fights have made viable to put on television. Maybe if Spike does have their KB promotion, he will be one of their guys. However, I dunno why Spike would sink a ton of money into a sport that doesn't produce recognizable stars stateside and the main guys want to be paid handsomely.

Anyway, I am taking it as Sergei doesn't want to fight top guys. He is a decent heavyweight, but he would still essentially lose to the top guys. He has been facing Duece Garner and whatever palooka they could found. If he wanted to be in the UFC, he would already be there.

High school children who can't accept this isn't a team sport. 

I think deep down some of this animosity is over the fact that Dillashaw was the guy who won the belt when all the other longtime top contenders have failed on multiple occasions to win a UFC title.

Yeah, Ronda has got to have a talk with her mom.

High school children who can't accept this isn't a team sport. 

I think deep down some of this animosity is over the fact that Dillashaw was the guy who won the belt when all the other longtime top contenders have failed on multiple occasions to win a UFC title.

I think the problem is it is still Urijah's team at the end of the day. If you want to have a really successful camp long-term, the inmates cannot run the asylum. That's one of the reasons why a team like Xtreme Couture imploded. Greg Savage had a good point the other day on Cheap Seats about TAM trying to recreate this moment when they brought Ludwig aboard. The Master Thong thing didn't work out because he was this wacky guy who made everyone do the same workout no matter the opponent. Ludwig is brought in, they have a ton of success, and then Faber and Ludwig have a falling out. They bring in Kampmann to replace him and get mixed results. Now, they are looking for another replacement.

So what incentive does someone like a Brandon Gibson have if he becomes the new head coach? If he runs afoul of Faber, then it is Adios. That's not exactly the climate you want to come into. You get to work with guys who are really talented, but you are not exactly leaving a place full of bums either. Why go there when there is a good chance you might get thrown under the bus as well?

Faber is a good fighter, but everything from these past five or six months in the media indicates he stinks as a General Manager. If this was the NFL or the NBA, the owner would fire the general manager. The problem here is he is the owner, the general manager, president of business operations, VP of Talent Relations, etc. If everything runs through him, it invites nothing but trouble.

I don't know if it is necessarily about TJ winning the belt. He could be salty about that whole training arrangement blowing up in his face. It was hilarious to see in that last Embedded (the ones for the Chicago show IIRC) where Ludwig is like five or so feet behind Faber, just over his shoulder. It was so clear that Faber and Ludwig wanted NOTHING to do with each other. So why even force the issue? I understand they are/were friends, but that was only going to drive a further wedge between the two the longer it lasted. That's common sense.

Team Alpha Male is a stupid name. You can't all be the Alpha, one of you is the Alpha. Although actually none of them are the Alpha because they're all small guys. If Lesnar's gym was called the Alpha Male gym, that would make sense. Uriah's more of a Gamma Male, really.

This could be the start of a large round of cuts. 

According to sources MMAnytt close to the UFC, the organization will do away with 50 fighters over the weekend. The organization currently has around 560 fighters under contract. Which fighters who lose their contracts is currently unclear, but they are expected to get their statements on Monday and Tuesday next week.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/10/16/9558509/more-fighters-released-from-ufc-report-plans-cut-50-fighters-surfaces-mma-news

Confirmed cuts along with Gordon: Matt Van Buren, Christos Giagos, and Roger Narvaez

I think Giagos could have a decent run in Bellator or WSOF and probably come back at some point.