DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Rumor going around is Pretty Tony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez on 1/17 in Boston

Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak will happen on the Belfort vs. Henderson IIII card in Sao Paulo. Birchak is a good prospect, but damn that's a tough bout.

UFC Tonight stuff:

- Pancrase events are going to be streaming live on Fight Pass

- Werdum is good to go for December or January according his management

- Michael Chiesa vs. Jim Miller is being discussed for 12/10

- Claudia Gadelha is looking to return in February

- Dominick Cruz is cleared to return to training and looking to return at the beginning of 2016

- Conor McGregor will train in Ireland for the majority of his camp and spending the last four weeks in Vegas

- No news on the Jon Jones front yet, but the UFC is hopeful they will have information soon.

Bilyal Makhov ended up winning the bronze medal in Greco Roman at 130kg. He beat Robby Smith, who may or may not be a future Wyatt Family member. He still has to compete in the freestyle 125kg division on Saturday. He's ranked sixth in the world in freestyle ahead of the man he replaced and his fellow countryman, 2004 Olympic gold medalist Khadzhimurat Gatsalov. You'll remember Gatsalov as the man who beat Cormier at the Athens games and recently trained with him at AKA earlier this year.

Makhov is goddamn physical specimen though.

• Like 1

Holy fuck, it was like he wasn't even trying for the Karelin lift. Hopefully we get some of these big Russian boys enter MMA's struggling heavyweight division. Khadzhimurat could just cut through some of the shitbums in the UFC's HW division like a hot knife through butter, plus he has an awesome name. Tolstoy, fuck yeah.

The 130kg gold medal match wasn't very exciting, particularly after I watched the video you linked.

Couture referring to everybody not American by their nationality > *. 

• Like 1

I don't know if the governing bodies could do anything about training. The NSAC kinda gave Floyd a slap on the wrist for the questionable hard sparring between a relative novice against a pro shown on All Access. Hell, Floyd had his moronic bodyguard (who I believe trains at Xtreme Couture) fight (well get his face broken at least) one of the pros at Mayweather Boxing Club on the last episode of All Access.

If they're not doing anything about training footage everyone can readily see, I don't think they're going to do anything about stuff they can't see.

What implementations would you like to see the UFC/governing bodies put forth in order to minimize the chances of injuries in training? You seem... passionate about this.

seems like they need rules about protective gear and the amount of sparring they do per week.  Also, over-crowded gyms.

Who's going to oversee that though? Most of the gyms do use protective gear. You still can get knocked loopy with headgear on. Also, there is not a bunch of gear you can wear for wrestling training, where a number of these injuries occur.

The gyms that decide to forego protection many times during sparring are like Kings MMA, and as I stated awhile back, not known for a litany of injuries.

Who's going to oversee that though? Most of the gyms do use protective gear. You still can get knocked loopy with headgear on. Also, there is not a bunch of gear you can wear for wrestling training, where a number of these injuries occur.

The gyms that decide to forego protection many times during sparring are like Kings MMA, and as I stated awhile back, not known for a litany of injuries.

They are going to have to figure it out at some point.

What does that mean? I just don't think there are simple solutions to a complex situation. MMA is different from boxing. You're going to end up with way more injuries in camps because of the multi-faceted nature of the sport.

The one thing I think could be better controlled and for the safety of the fighter on top of making sure fights go through is weight cutting. IV bans are a start though but there ought to be a limit on how much a fighter can cut from their walking weight.

I would love to see fighters and their camps at an annual symposium to discuss and learn about weight cutting and training tactics. That would work better than just sending fighters random emails about new rules and policies. Bigger camps probably understand most of the dos and don'ts, but what about the smaller gyms and people who train at a whole host of gyms?

It all comes down to gym culture. You're always going to have a bunch of injury prone fighters at a certain gym. That's just the odds. However, based on what I've seen fighters say and read, I think you can curve the injury bug and make preparing fighters more in your favor. Some of that may be adapting the tools and tricks from other gyms. That's why I am in favor of doing fighter summits and things of that nature. Logistics be damned.

What does that mean? I just don't think there are simple solutions to a complex situation. MMA is different from boxing. You're going to end up with way more injuries in camps because of the multi-faceted nature of the sport.

The one thing I think could be better controlled and for the safety of the fighter on top of making sure fights go through is weight cutting. IV bans are a start though but there ought to be a limit on how much a fighter can cut from their walking weight.

No there aren't, but eventually they did the USADA deal.  Not exactly a simple solution to a complex situation.

After guys started making off-color rape jokes on Twitter, they started a Code of Conduct policy.  It seems to be a logical step to me. 

Social media is bit of a different beast though. You can actually monitor social media activity 24/7. Plus, that policy is has more selective enforcement than say an entire drug testing program.

Apparently, the USADA drug testing program entails the fighters logging into an app to report their approximate location every several months.  If they are going to do that and it's going to be that encompassing for the whole roster, I think moving forward, training regulations are going to have to happen.

I'm not even saying to do it for all fights, but do it for fighters after a bout agreement is signed for a main event or co-main event.  I don't see why it's impossible.  

Social media is bit of a different beast though. You can actually monitor social media activity 24/7. Plus, that policy is has more selective enforcement than say an entire drug testing program.

Apparently, the USADA drug testing program entails the fighters logging into an app to report their approximate location every several months. If they are going to do that and it's going to be that encompassing for the whole roster, I think moving forward, training regulations are going to have to happen.

I'm not even saying to do it for all fights, but do it for fighters after a bout agreement is signed for a main event or co-main event. I don't see why it's impossible.

Probably because no one regulates training. That's why it's impossible. It would be silly to punish fighters for getting injured.

Keep in mind that, the CSAC has no control over what happens in other states.  The same applies for New Jersey and Nevada. They just license fighters and regulate events. There is a precedent for drug testing where they require the whereabouts for fighters. Thus, it makes definitely more easier to big brother your way into something.

With training, there is no such precedent because there is no set authority figure for MMA training. It doesn't exist. Therefore, the tools to build a regulatory body for that will not exist. Plus, the insane amount of money needed and logistical issues would make it a financial burden for whomever wants to start it.

You tried pushing this idea several months. Again, I will say that trying to tell someone like Greg Jackson or Matt Hume what to do is not going to work. At all. It's just a plain stupid idea, honestly. You can fuck with the fighters all you want. Take their license away for doing this or that. However, trying to pass off something in a place where you have absolutely no jurisdiction is step beyond what anyone imagines. You can drug test a fighter IN a gym. However, you will be unable to change to core functions OF the gym.

Probably because no one regulates training. That's why it's impossible. It would be silly to punish fighters for getting injured.

Keep in mind that, the CSAC has no control over what happens in other states.  The same applies for New Jersey and Nevada. They just license fighters and regulate events. There is a precedent for drug testing where they require the whereabouts for fighters. Thus, it makes definitely more easier to big brother your way into something.

With training, there is no such precedent because there is no set authority figure for MMA training. It doesn't exist. Therefore, the tools to build a regulatory body for that will not exist. Plus, the insane amount of money needed and logistical issues would make it a financial burden for whomever wants to start it.

You tried pushing this idea several months. Again, I will say that trying to tell someone like Greg Jackson or Matt Hume what to do is not going to work. At all. It's just a plain stupid idea, honestly. You can fuck with the fighters all you want. Take their license away for doing this or that. However, trying to pass off something in a place where you have absolutely no jurisdiction is step beyond what anyone imagines. You can drug test a fighter IN a gym. However, you will be unable to change to core functions OF the gym.

Just because no one does it doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.  Before this USADA deal, the only random, out of competition drug testing rarely happened because of the athletic commissions.  

Also, I'm never going to stop talking about it either.  

If Dana White as the president of the UFC is unhappy with how the fighters are training and how camps are in the stone age, then IMHO, he should do something about it.

No, it should not happen because it is extremely unrealistic that it would.

The variable that the UFC and whatever commission controls is the fighters. They don't control the trainers.

In addition, I don't there is any solution that can be provided by Dana White of all people. It's not that he is defeated, but he realizes there is nothing feasible. Truthfully, they didn't want to spend the money on getting this drug testing program off the ground. And that was with people (from armchair experts all the way to actual experts) trying ask about and provide them with solutions for years on avoiding the drug issues plaguing other sports. Over the last five years with injuries in MMA, there hasn't been that option. No one from Zuffa can just look on Twitter or message boards and say "Bingo, we found it!" because it doesn't exist. Dana, of all people, has realized this because it's completely out of their hands. They can't take steps towards something because they can't. You never heard Dana say we're going to do this and that about who trains where because that's out of his domain. Sure, he has made comments and people like Javier Mendez followed up. But again, that's the path that I'm talking about with gym culture. The responsibility lies with the trainers and there is nothing the UFC will ever have a direct part in.

• Like 1

New slate of fights:

Pettis vs. Alvarez for 1/17 in Boston has been made official.

Sarah Kaufman vs. Germaine de Randamie has been added to the UFC on Fox card in Orlando.

Omari Akhmedov vs. Lyman Good and Kevin Casey vs. Antonio Carlos Jr. has been added to the 12/10 card.

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Konstantin Erokhin has been added to the TUF 22 Finale card.

• Like 2

Went to the 193 Press Conference today. Ronda is so over. Little kids and everything excited to see her. Had to leave early but they could've easily sold tickets to it instead of being free and done a decent number.

Rondas been all over popular media/radio today and again tomorrow it seems from a few ads I've seen. They are actually selling 5k tickets with VIP options. Tickets in general are pretty expensive so it should be interesting to see how quickly they sell on Monday when they open to the public.