DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

We're a couple days away from September. He would technically need to start training in about two weeks. If he only needed 3-4 weeks to heal, that would put the fight in mid December. The problem is you already got fights scheduled for then. From Iole's story, Dana is hopeful that Lawler can return for UFC 195 and said it's not a serious injury. He also was thinking about having Joanna fight Letourneau as the co-main underneath Rousey-Holm in Melbourne, but Letourneau isn't ready for that turnaround. It looks like Letourneau is getting the next strawweight title shot anyways with Claudia still healing.

I don't care that he lost a few fights before he retired or that he's been out of fighting for a while, I'm super fucking excited about the return of Fedor and finally to the UFC at that.  I wish they could have gotten him when he was in his Affliction and Strikeforce days but whatever, it's still awesome.  If someone called me right now and said "Hi, would you like to purchase a UFC Fedor shirt?", my answer would be "Fuck yes I do, here's my credit card number, charge me what you think you deserve."

• Like 1

Man, I'm just hope there isn't a slew of "What would have happened had UFC signed him in 20__?" win or lose for Fedor. Stuff like that is just too hard to predict because one man could change the trajectory of several other fighters' careers. However, I will say that looking at the overall picture is definitely more interesting than focusing on one fighter. Just crossing off who so and so might have beaten is lazy because you never know if some of those fights ever got made. You had people already on the outs with Zuffa so Arlovski and Sylvia may have never even fought him. Plus, you have other orgs trying to sign big names that people like Brock may have went elsewhere and got Fedor's money to fight Brett Rogers or whatever schmo.

Post Affliction, it could have happened probably. However, then that would escalate Couture settling his differences with the UFC. The winner of Couture vs. Fedor would have most likely fought Lesnar unless Lesnar dropped a bout in the interim. Also, barring some crazy development.

Post Strikeforce purchase? No, it definitely would have not happened. Fedor would have gotten a one or two tuneups and Lesnar would've been gone by then. Dana and Lorenzo probably would have thrown a huge yacht full of cash at him though to make Lesnar fight one last time. The money he would have made off that would insure he could live in the woods for the next decade and never come out. Vince McMahon got really lucky on that tip.

I don't know if that's going to be possible. She had problems with Tiburcio, and she's a little girl compared to Torres. This could be 15 minutes of Tecia Torres in top control unless she entertains the possibility her stand-up is better.

Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN 3m3 minutes ago

Lawler/Condit is off UFC 193. Lawler suffered a thumb injury.

Well fuck sticks.  That definitely harshes the mellow on this news.  I was thinking, "holy crap double title main event for huge stadium show."  I really wanted that Condit/Lawler fight too.

Seems insane that a thumb injury derails a fight that far off, but whatever.  Guess they can give Lawler/Condit the original Rousey/Holm spot.

Fuckity fuck.

• Like 1

TUF 22: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber cast:

United States
Andres Quintana, 8-1, 24, Albuquerque, N.M
Austin Springer, 8-0, 27, Portland, Ore.
Billy Quarantillo, 6-1, 26, Tampa, Fla.
Brandon Ricetti, 7-1, 28, Chico, Calif.
Brennan Sevin, 7-1, 29, Chauvin, La.
Chris Gruetzemacher, 12-1, 29, Peoria, Ariz.
Jason Soares, 8-0, 25, Miami, Fla.
Johnny Nunez, 5-1, 29, Las Vegas, Nev.
James Jenkins, 8-1, 29, Long Island, N.Y.
Jason Gonzalez, 9-2, 25, Colton, Calif.
Julian Erosa, 14-2, 25, Yakima, Wash.
Mike Flach, 7-1, 27, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
Ryan Hall, 4-1, 30, Falls Church, Va.
Thanh Le, 4-1, 29, New Orleans, La.
Tim Welch, 12-5, 25, Glendale, Ariz.
Tom Gallicchio, 19-8, 28, Perth Amboy, N.J.

Europe
Artem Lobov, 11-10-1-1, 28, Dublin, Ireland
Abner Lloveras, 19-7-1, 32, Barcelona, Spain
David Teymur, 3-1, 25, Stockholm, Sweden
Djamil Chan, 19-2, 24, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Frantz Slioa, 4-0, 24, Stockholm, Sweden
Marcin Wrzosek, 10-2, 27, Bydgoszcz, Poland
Martin Delaney, 10-1, 36, Bathgate, Scotland
Martin Svensson, 14-5, 30, Malmo, Sweden
Mehdi Baghdad, 11-3, 29, Toulon, France
Mohamed Grabinski, 10-1, 23, Dusseldorf, Germany
Paulo Boer, 10-1-1, 29, Holland
Sascha Sharma, 8-2, 27, Stuttgart, Germany
Saul Rogers, 10-1, 25, Bolton, England
Sean Carter, 10-1, 30, Essex, England
Thibault Gouti, 10-0, 28, Avignon, France
Vladimir Sikic, 10-0, 25, Frankfurt, Germany

Conor's homeboy and chief sparring partner Artem Lobov is of course part of this.

In a sense, they are basically taking a some established Euro MMA vets and putting them against fresh American prospects. Besides Gallicchio and Ryan Hall on the strength of going back and forth from BJJ to MMA, there aren't a ton of guys on that US list who have just been around.

The rumor going around Fedor vs. Hunt II at UFC 193, which would obviously take Pezao out of that slot.

If it becomes official sometime soon, I will make a thread. I do have a feeling that Dana is waiting to announce it at the Friday presser though.

The rumor going around Fedor vs. Hunt II at UFC 193, which would obviously take Pezao out of that slot.

If it becomes official sometime soon, I will make a thread. I do have a feeling that Dana is waiting to announce it at the Friday presser though.

OMG, YES! This is going to rule. (Unless Fedor gets KO'd. PLZ don't get KO'd, homie!.)

Guilherme Cruz ‏@guicruzzz 2m2 minutes ago

Former UFC and PRIDE champion Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira has officially retired, will work for the UFC. Story coming to @MMAFighting.

This needed to happen. Give that man a comfy job doing promotion in Brazil or something.

OMG, YES! This is going to rule. (Unless Fedor gets KO'd. PLZ don't get KO'd, homie!.)

Guilherme Cruz ‏@guicruzzz 2m2 minutes ago

Former UFC and PRIDE champion Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira has officially retired, will work for the UFC. Story coming to @MMAFighting.

This needed to happen. Give that man a comfy job doing promotion in Brazil or something.

That might be part of it:

Along with continuing to captain the successful Team Nogueira fight team, "Big Nog" will move into a professional capacity with UFC in Brazil, aiding social projects and helping to discover new talent for the organization.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/9/1/9240303/legendary-heavyweight-antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-announces-retirement

I didn't even know that wasn't the case already.

same here.

but i still want to see video of the unsanctioned Tito Ortiz/Eugene Jackson fight from 1999ish. then i will personally count it.