DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

This would be a perfect opportunity to market herself as being on this Ronda Rousey Revenge Tour. Use the fact that they are basically putting you against opponents they want you to lose to. Make people want to see that fight.

I understand Tate's grievance in as that the UFC and Dana White said she gets the next shot and that she's the No. 1 contender.  They said it unequivocally and took it back.  And they didn't let her know beforehand.  That was a mistake.  I knew it was a mistake when White announced her as a No. 1 contender.  It was a mistake because this is EXACTLY what I knew was going to happen.  They showed their cards too early when they realized they didn't want to book that fight again.

And yeah, if Tate was smart, she could take advantage of this and play it up huge.  Instead she's acting like a petulant child.  It's like she doesn't even realize she was gifted a title shot and a prime TUF coaching spot after she got DEMOLISHED by Cat Zingano.

Dave Meltzer said on the lastest edition of WOR, based on news from a paper in Melbourne, there is a pretty good chance that UFC 193 will sell out.

I had a quick look through our two main papers and didnt see anything, but there is a puff piece on one of their websites which makes a couple of generalized comments about breaking the previous biggest UFC attendance record but doesnt go into any kind of specifics.

If anyone hasn't checked it out yet, you should listen to Urijah Faber's hour plus long rant on Duane Ludwig on the MMA Hour this week.  So much drama and dirty laundry.  All these bizarre stories like Ludwig selling peanut butter at the front desk.  You could tell Faber was at the end of his rope.  Some of it was hilarious.

What's amazing is that Ludwig's response to the interview doesn't really refute anything.

Guys in MMA also have to learn that verbal agreements and a "man's word is his word" mean jack shit in business.  Always get it in writing.  This is why I find Nate Diaz to be such a moron.  If he and his manager were really promised that they could renegotiate his UFC deal partway in and want to try and sit it out, then get it in writing.  If Ludwig actually tried to sue Faber and Team Alpha Male over an agreement he refused to sign, than he is a bigger moron than I ever thought possible.

MMA takes a lot from pro wrestling and some of the fighters are/were fans of pro wrestling. So why don't they know how to avoid a con? I have never laced up the boots in my life or put on a pair of 4oz gloves, but I can tell you right now I would get EVERYTHING in writing. Dana White is the biggest carny outside of pro wrestling, people should know by now not to take his word as the gospel (though it really should be). How many times was the UFC going to hold an event in Cowboys Stadium? New York? A Brazilian soccer stadium? etc.

• Like 1

Wait, are you suggesting that after Conor McGregor defeats (whoever replaces an injured) Jose Aldo in December, his first defence won't be at Croke Park stadium?

Speaking of stadium shows that may or may not be happening, Anderson Silva is hinting at a return against Bisping in April at Arena da Baixada (aka Estadio Joaquim Americo Guimaraes). Werdum vs. Velasquez II would headline that show. So we'll just have to see if Giovani Decker is any better at his job than Grace Tourinho.

Anderson and Werdum were both at the Fight Nights show yesterday in Russia and were both talking about the same thing. Werdum was pushing to have a fight in Arena do Gremio earlier this year (March or April) so he could fight in his hometown of Porto Alegre. However, Arena da Baixada was one they wanted to put on the docket going back to November 2014 and was actually being discussed again as recently as June of this year.

Rich Franklin announces his retirement. Rich was unfortunate to run, or rather his nose into Anderson Silva's knees so soon after becoming UFC Middleweight Champion.

Shame Ace's last fight was THAT KTFO. Goodbye to Rich Franklin, the pink and brown attack plus Franklinweight.

• Like 2

jim genia ‏@jim_genia 15s15 seconds ago

To me, the most compelling thing about this UFC/MSG announcement & injunction is it creates a game of chicken with NYS...

jim genia ‏@jim_genia 26s26 seconds ago

...An impending show gives the UFC plenty of standing in court, and it gives legislators plenty of motivation to pass the MMA bill...

jim genia ‏@jim_genia 23s23 seconds ago

...Because if the UFC does a show at MSG sanctioned by an org other than the NYSAC, that's revenue that could've been taxed...

jim genia ‏@jim_genia now10 seconds ago

...and a UFC at MSG not sanctioned by the NYSAC means a political black eye for the state. That, more than anything, will dominate the news.

Considering all the news surrounding the amateur MMA scene in NY, this would be the time to make that play. There only other option is to force a legal battle.

But didn't they already try this?  They sued the state of New York, and that lawsuit was dismissed.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/new-york-strikes-down-ufc-lawsuit-appeal-considered

I'm just pretty jaded about it at this point.  it was supposed to finally go through this year because they got the corrupt dude out of office, but the bill was still not allowed to reach the senate floor to get a vote.  It's disgusting.

jim genia ‏@jim_genia 15s15 seconds ago

To me, the most compelling thing about this UFC/MSG announcement & injunction is it creates a game of chicken with NYS...

jim genia ‏@jim_genia 26s26 seconds ago

...An impending show gives the UFC plenty of standing in court, and it gives legislators plenty of motivation to pass the MMA bill...

jim genia ‏@jim_genia 23s23 seconds ago

...Because if the UFC does a show at MSG sanctioned by an org other than the NYSAC, that's revenue that could've been taxed...

jim genia ‏@jim_genia now10 seconds ago

...and a UFC at MSG not sanctioned by the NYSAC means a political black eye for the state. That, more than anything, will dominate the news. 

Reporters were tweeting the same garbage earlier this year when it didn't go through then either.  I don't think this will accomplish anything.

Considering all the news surrounding the amateur MMA scene in NY, this would be the time to make that play. There only other option is to force a legal battle.

But didn't they already try this?  They sued the state of New York, and that lawsuit was dismissed.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/03/new-york-strikes-down-ufc-lawsuit-appeal-considered

I'm just pretty jaded about it at this point.  it was supposed to finally go through this year because they got the corrupt dude out of office, but the bill was still not allowed to reach the senate floor to get a vote.  It's disgusting.

According to Genia, it was dismissed because lack of standing. 

If the UFC plans to a show (w/ bouts signed and announced) under the auspices of the WKA (instead of the NYSAC) on 4/23, then they can either force NYS's hand by having them try to get MMA regulated early next year or show proof that the ban on MMA in NY is injurious to them.

By that last thing I just wrote, this is the key statement in the link to the story VileOne posted:

Because the UFC hadn’t scheduled or planned events in the state prior to the suit, she furthered, the court could not provide a legal remedy to the situation. She offered, however, that the promotion “may consider filing new vagueness claims based on events that occurred after this lawsuit commenced.”

jim genia ‏@jim_genia  6s

@yay_yee Executed agreements and tentative agreements are two very different things, especially to Judge Kimba Wood.

In its lawsuit against NY officials, UFC explicitly states it has "a contract" for 4/23 MSG and "an agreement with WKA to sanction event."

From the lawsuit: "If the UFC cannot go forward with that event, it will suffer substantial financial and reputational harm."

Couldn't they still run the show under WKA if they wanted?

Depends on what you mean. They could if it was a kickboxing show. However, pro MMA is still banned.

When they discovered the loophole in 2013, they had a choice between WKA, USA Judo, and Professional Karate Association. However, they never followed up because they wanted New York to actually legalize it.

If they get the injunction, they would choose to have a third party regulate it. In this case, they are choosing WKA. So none of the revenue would actually go the state of NY unless the NYSAC directly oversees the event.

I am not saying they would do this, but with such a big roster do they have any 'name' fighters that would be willing to do kickboxing in a pinch just as a threat? I know that isn't their goal but even a UFC kickboxing event would do solid numbers. More as something to say in court than something they are legit interested in doing.

I am not saying they would do this, but with such a big roster do they have any 'name' fighters that would be willing to do kickboxing in a pinch just as a threat? I know that isn't their goal but even a UFC kickboxing event would do solid numbers. More as something to say in court than something they are legit interested in doing.

I don't think they want to do the bait and switch.

They're a MMA organization that wants to do professional MMA in the state of the NY. Doing a kickboxing show (even to just piss people off) would undercut their argument. If they do that, the state can always turn around and say, "Hey just do kickboxing instead sanctioned by WKA  and cut out all the ground fighting".

It would be the same if they tried to do an amateur MMA, but NYS would instead say don't have doctors, medicals, or pay anyone.

They want to have a MMA event where they don't alter any rules (that are deemed perfectly legal in every state and country they choose to run in) or the structure of their event. Their argument is that it is silly and unconstitutional for something to necessitate it happening any other way.