DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Went to the 193 Press Conference today. Ronda is so over. Little kids and everything excited to see her. Had to leave early but they could've easily sold tickets to it instead of being free and done a decent number.

Rondas been all over popular media/radio today and again tomorrow it seems from a few ads I've seen. They are actually selling 5k tickets with VIP options. Tickets in general are pretty expensive so it should be interesting to see how quickly they sell on Monday when they open to the public.

Didn't watch the presser because it was on very late stateside, but I did see the picture tweeted with Ronda signing stuff for kids. That got me thinking especially with what is happening recently with boxing in Australia. I don't know if someone already answered this (probably did), but is combat sports considered the boogeymen of sports in Australia or is that just the regulatory bodies fabricating some of this?  Apparently there has been a "call" for a ban on boxing after the death of Davey Browne Jr., which followed the death of another Australian boxer fighting a Filipino fighter. 

I just find it a little weird that young Australian kids are skipping school to see Ronda Rousey when that same country is trying a ban a sport considered less barbaric than MMA.

Anyway, here are the staredowns from the presser:

• Like 1

Went to the 193 Press Conference today. Ronda is so over. Little kids and everything excited to see her. Had to leave early but they could've easily sold tickets to it instead of being free and done a decent number.

Rondas been all over popular media/radio today and again tomorrow it seems from a few ads I've seen. They are actually selling 5k tickets with VIP options. Tickets in general are pretty expensive so it should be interesting to see how quickly they sell on Monday when they open to the public.

Didn't watch the presser because it was on very late stateside, but I did see the picture tweeted with Ronda signing stuff for kids. That got me thinking especially with what is happening recently with boxing in Australia. I don't know if someone already answered this (probably did), but is combat sports considered the boogeymen of sports in Australia or is that just the regulatory bodies fabricating some of this? Apparently there has been a "call" for a ban on boxing after the death of Davey Browne Jr., which followed the death of another Australian boxer fighting a Filipino fighter.

I just find it a little weird that young Australian kids are skipping school to see Ronda Rousey when that same country is trying a ban a sport considered less barbaric than MMA.

Anyway, here are the staredowns from the presser:

Yeah the issue is though that boxing isn't much of a mainstream sport here. Like nobody except Danny Green, Anthony Mundine & Daniel Geale really get much in the way of TV time. Mayweather has been covered more as of late but I don't really see there being a big enough public outcry for them to actually ban anything.

Dana just announced Dillashaw vs. Cruz for 1/17 on FS1, the same day as one of the NFC divisional playoff games on Fox.

Please don't get injured, Dominick Cruz. You have to feel sorry for him with the injuries, especially the three ACL tears. Liked Dominick since I first watched him in WEC with his unique style and his MMA insights on MMA shows.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see where he's at. It's hard for me to believe he's going to be able to be at that high of a level after one fight in the last five years.

If Dominick Cruz wins the UFC Bantamweight Championship after all he's gone through will make for one of the most remarkable MMA moments ever. Nobody called him taking out Mizugaki like he did either.

I'm interested to see where he's at. It's hard for me to believe he's going to be able to be at that high of a level after one fight in the last five years.

If Dominick Cruz wins the UFC Bantamweight Championship after all he's gone through will make for one of the most remarkable MMA moments ever. Nobody called him taking out Mizugaki like he did either.

There are couple good storylines going for this fight in addition to that. He never lost the title in the octagon, and Dillashaw has had this newfound success based using a style similiar to Dominick Cruz.

As for whether or not Cruz is on a certain level, I will say that will just have to settle for somewhere in the middle. I was shocked by how he defeated Mizugaki, but not shocked by why he defeated Mizugaki if that makes sense. Even with those injuries, Cruz still doesn't have that wear-and-tear associated with fighters who are past it. Look at someone like a Patrick Cote. He was never this tremendous fighter, but you can tell he has slowed down compared to where he was six or seven years ago. It's because he has been involved in so many brutal back-and-forth fights on top of being in the sport for so long. His chin is still there for this most part, but for how long? We saw with Sam Stout that once you can't be that back-and-forth fighter anymore as your style relies on, that it gets really, really ugly.

Now comparing Cote to someone who is way better defensively and technically, Cruz should still be able to a good amount of time to fight at a certain level even WITH time that he lost to injuries. Throw him against a Takeya Mizugaki, who stylistically isn't really able to match Cruz in any department, and you get a recipe for a dominant performance. I was just shocked at how fast he did it.

I feel that this fight should answer questions about both Dillashaw and Cruz. How is Cruz going to deal with a fighter who has improved and also mirrors his style coming off another layoff? I give Dillashaw credit for the Barao wins, but I feel like we haven't seen what the true limit is. I feel this way in the same way I felt the Machida fight told us more than the Anderson Silva fights did for Chris Weidman. Not that you need a ton of sustained back-and-forth action, but you would like to see what happens when most of the fight is not one way traffic for however long it lasts. How can TJ Dillashaw implement a strategy against a fighter he knows is ready to hit him and get out of the way for the entire fight? If there is any fighter at bantamweight who I feel can help answer this question, it is certainly Dominick Cruz.

• Like 2

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 2m

NEW FIGHT: Paige VanZant vs. Joanne Calderwood headlines Dec. 10 UFC Fight Pass event in Las Vegas.

Brett Okamoto @bokamotoESPN 3m

In addition to @PaigeVanzantUFC vs. @DRkneevil, Dec. 10 UFC card will feature @JimMiller_155 vs. @MikeMav22 and @MeansTim vs. John Howard.

• Like 1

I was about to joke that they would hype the shit ouf of Ju Thai for going 3 rounds with Joanna Champion and winning two decisions.

But this is the kind of fight PVZ needs. But i can also see her pressure style working well against Joanne.

Yeah, I wouldn't even rule out a fight with Ju Thai. If she is fighting every 2 to 3 months, I could see PVZ fighting her. She's very tough, but definitely not going to do anything to disrupt the PVZ hype train. It would basically be the Chambers fight, but legitimately could see the final horn because Ju Thai can take some punishment based off the Joanna fight.

Thiago Tavares vs. Clay Guida and Kevin Souza vs. Chas Skelly have been added to the 11/7 Sao Paulo card.

Looking at the SP card, I see there isn't actually a regional bum fight to be had on this card. That's kind of a first in a minute for a Brazil show.

UFC São Paulo (Fight Night 77)

Ginásio do Ibirapuera, SP

Sábado, 7 de novembro de 2015

Vitor Belfort x Dan Henderson

Glover Teixeira x Patrick Cummins

Fábio Maldonado x Tom Lawlor

Thomas Almeida x Anthony Birchak

Gleison Tibau x Abel Trujillo

Gilbert Durinho x Rashid Magomedov

Yan Cabral x Johnny Case

Bruno Korea x Matheus Nicolau

Viscardi Andrade x Gasan Umalatov

Alex Cowboy x Piotr Hallman

Pedro Muñoz x Jimmie Rivera

Thiago Tavares x Clay Guida

Kevin Souza x Chas Skelly

Bas Rutten, who previously had a "source" that said Fedor was signing with the UFC, is now saying Fedor is going to sign with a new Japanese MMA organization and fight there.

Really want to take stock on all these Twitter reporters who said Fedor in the UFC was a done deal.

oh good, we can get FEDOR vs. former UFC Heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez.

or former UFC/Strikeforce title contender Paul Buentello.

edit:  or, in a fight that might actually be good, or at least interesting, Sergei Kharitonov.

Tate is at it again. She still in 2015 doesn't understand that she is in the entertainment business and for some reason believes she is having better fights than Ronda.out of her last 5 opponents not named ronda rousey she fought two who ronda already beat, lost to one who ronda beat in like 16 sec. Beat 1 who’s only ufc fight was that 1 and beat a top 5 ranked girl. Im not sure how any of that qualifies as fighting better girls than Ronda. The Nunes fight hasn't even happened yet so I don't know why Tate is using that element as a bragging right.

Here's the thing...its about narrative and The UFC understands that and Tate does not. Anyone who knew ANYTHING about MMA knew Bethe wasn't going to do anything against Ronda, but the undefeated vs. undefeated and the 'taking out the Four Horsewomen' angle was something nice for UFC to play with. The same thing with Holms. Its undefeated vs. undefeated and boxing vs. MMA. What is the Tate narrative? Someone who lost to Rousey twice now challenges Rousey again, but this time with 'improved' boxing that looking completely suspect and will get herself handled within the first round?

• Like 1