DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

It's DNB, man

Do Nothing Bitch

EDIT: BEATEN BY MERE SECONDS~!

Holly is going to be one of the better strikers that Ronda has faced given her boxing experience, but I don't think she has the ground game defense to keep from getting her arm broken.

I'm not really convinced that the Tate snub is actually a snub.  Miesha's lost twice already (and finished off at that) even if the second fight was the furthest that Ronda's ever been taken.

I think if this was just another stretch for the UFC, then Tate would have got the shot. However, if you look at what they have potentially preceding the 1/2 show, the Rousey vs. Tate fight kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. Not that it wouldn't do business obviously, but I think they want to have something different going on. If Ronda wasn't a big draw, then  it wouldn't be much of a priority just like the HW fight headlining Super Bowl weekend. It would be a priority, but not "we're probably going to cut expensive ads for this" important.

I think putting Rousey against Holm is their best attempt to cash in on all the Rousey vs Mayweather talk - they know that they're drawing an audience they haven't had before, and so if they have something to say "Here's why MMA > Boxing", they can at least try to make them fans (of the sport as a whole) in the long term. Holm's extensive boxing background makes her the perfect sacrificial lamb in the situation.

• Like 1

Mike Bohn @MikeBohnMMA 1m1 minute ago

UFC's No. 3 ranked women's bantamweight contender Alexis Davis is pregnant. Won't fight until at least end of 2016. https://instagram.com/p/6z7HT6Bf2_/ 

So Davis and Milana Dudieva are officially on maternity leave.

WSOF is trying to have a one night, eight man lightweight tournament. Ali Abdel-Aziz wanted it in Seattle on 11/20, but it turns out that's very illegal in Washington state. Thus, they're looking for a new (preferably Indian reservation) location.

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani now

UFC doing another big presser for the 4th quarter on 9/4 in LV called "Go Big." All the headliners from 9/26 to 1/2 will be in attendance.

Dave Sholler @Sholler_UFC 17m

Our next seasonal campaign, GO BIG, will launch next Friday at 1pm at MGM before weigh-ins. Champs and top stars in attendance. See u there!

We'll just have to see if the 2nd extended layoff helped him. Technically, he just looks in shambles compared to even to the Dos Santos that fought Hunt. He at least was able to avoid the one big punch from Hunt.

Anyways, two new fights have been added to the December cards. Joe Proctor vs. Magomed Mustafev is booked for UFC 194. Nik Lentz is going back to lightweight and fighting Danny Castillo on the 12/19 Orlando card.

If Lentz was going to turn the corner, he would have done it already. Being a fighter in the lower weight classes is a detriment to him because there are going to be younger guys who are able to do what he does much better. He'll stick around and get fights with prospects and other mid-level fighters, but I feel we've reached the peak of his career already.

• Like 1

Sub-Zero MMA @SubZeroMMA
Frankie Edgar vs. Chad Mendes headlines TUF 22 Finale, according to Brazilian outlet @lancenet.

I will hold out for a second source, but that wil be crazy if true. Mendes would essentially have fought all the best guys in four consecutive fights.

Your co-main event for 12/19 in Orlando?

CNRr7T3U8AAZXVx.jpg

OH HELL YEAH!

this fight would've headlined anywhere in 2011/2012 or whenever. But i still want to see it.

WSOF is trying to have a one night, eight man lightweight tournament.

DOUBLE YES!

i love me some one night tournaments!!