DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Anyone read Ronda Rousey's autobiography? I know the basics of Ronda Rousey's life, just wondered how the book is. I've only read one MMA book, Randy Couture's first autobiography.

EDIT: I went on the online library catalogue where I live to see if the book was there thinking it wouldn't be but it is. Well that's a pleasant surprise. I've reserved it.

Edited by The Natural

Can anyone justify why Tate should get paid the same or even close to Rousey? She seems to think so.

I’m pretty sure….

-Headlining or co headlining a PPV as a woman, and generating over 500k, GETS YOU PAYED.

Finishing fights in a spectacular fashion, GETS YOU PAYED.

-Setting records for Fightpass subscribers, and getting the UFC brand into places that have no interest in MMA, GETS YOU PAYED.

-Being a major celebrity/budding film star outside of the cage, GETS YOU PAYED.

And I’m even more sure…

-Expecting everything to be given to you, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

-Going the full distance with Rin Nakai – Liz Carmouche – Sara McMann – Jessica Eye, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

-Equating high numbers of people perving over IG and Facebook selfies, to potential PPV credibility, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

-Being in barging bin movies, and doing goofy promotional work outside of the cage, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

Am I off base?

• Like 1

Can anyone justify why Tate should get paid the same or even close to Rousey? She seems to think so.

I’m pretty sure….

-Headlining or co headlining a PPV as a woman, and generating over 500k, GETS YOU PAYED.

Finishing fights in a spectacular fashion, GETS YOU PAYED.

-Setting records for Fightpass subscribers, and getting the UFC brand into places that have no interest in MMA, GETS YOU PAYED.

-Being a major celebrity/budding film star outside of the cage, GETS YOU PAYED.

And I’m even more sure…

-Expecting everything to be given to you, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

-Going the full distance with Rin Nakai – Liz Carmouche – Sara McMann – Jessica Eye, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

-Equating high numbers of people perving over IG and Facebook selfies, to potential PPV credibility, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

-Being in barging bin movies, and doing goofy promotional work outside of the cage, DOESN’T GET YOU PAYED.

Am I off base?

...just on the spelling tip?

• Like 4

I don't know if this is news as it is me putting two and two together.

So apparently (as of two weeks ago), Premier Boxing Champions has booked shows on main Fox. Right now, they have shows scheduled for 1/23, 3/12, and 7/16. All on Saturday in primetime. If you've noticed, the third week in January is usually the same time the UFC runs their first show on Fox. What's even weirder is that PBC shows do ratings below what the UFC pulls. The Tuesday PBC weekly shows on FS1 do below TUF. Hell, I don't expect their shows to do close or any better on main Fox than the UFC does. Even though the UFC doesn't use their biggest stars on Fox, PBC only has maybe a few guys at the level of your average UFC on Fox headliner. It sounds like another time buy on Al Haymon's part, which doesn't dispel rumors that they are burning cash fast.

If the UFC doesn't announced a main event for a Fox show in January in the next week or so, I think we can probably surmise what happened.

Anyone read Ronda Rousey's autobiography? I know the basics of Ronda Rousey's life, just wondered how the book is. I've only read one MMA book, Randy Couture's first autobiography.

EDIT: I went on the online library catalogue where I live to see if the book was there thinking it wouldn't be but it is. Well that's a pleasant surprise. I've reserved it.

I read and enjoyed the book, I think one's enjoyment of the book will be heavily biased by how much they like Rousey.

• Like 1

Edmond is claiming he has had no income for years and filing for bankruptcy with debts totally over $700,000. What in the fuck? There's no way he can get away this right? No income? 

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/3/9662800/ronda-rousey-coach-edmond-tarverdyan-bankrupt-ufc-news?_ga=1.28677756.1316089814.1435047869

I don't know if this is news as it is me putting two and two together.

So apparently (as of two weeks ago), Premier Boxing Champions has booked shows on main Fox. Right now, they have shows scheduled for 1/23, 3/12, and 7/16. All on Saturday in primetime. If you've noticed, the third week in January is usually the same time the UFC runs their first show on Fox. What's even weirder is that PBC shows do ratings below what the UFC pulls. The Tuesday PBC weekly shows on FS1 do below TUF. Hell, I don't expect their shows to do close or any better on main Fox than the UFC does. Even though the UFC doesn't use their biggest stars on Fox, PBC only has maybe a few guys at the level of your average UFC on Fox headliner. It sounds like another time buy on Al Haymon's part, which doesn't dispel rumors that they are burning cash fast.

If the UFC doesn't announced a main event for a Fox show in January in the next week or so, I think we can probably surmise what happened.

Sorry, I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying Fox is dropping UFC or can't afford them, UFC is going somewhere else (presumably to ESPN)?

No, I am saying the UFC might be doing less Fox shows next year (maybe less shows in general) and that Al Haymon is buying all that valuable airtime.

The rumor is that Keith Thurman vs. Shawn Porter (originally slated for the same day as UFC 194) is going to headline 1/23. While that's probably the best fight quality wise PBC can make, I am not sure that is bigger than your typical UFC on Fox main event as someone who religiously follows both sports.

Edmond is claiming he has had no income for years and filing for bankruptcy with debts totally over $700,000. What in the fuck? There's no way he can get away this right? No income? 

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/11/3/9662800/ronda-rousey-coach-edmond-tarverdyan-bankrupt-ufc-news?_ga=1.28677756.1316089814.1435047869

If she didn't like the Travis Browne questions, she is gonna have a ton of fun during media day for UFC 193.

• Like 1

So is there trouble in paradise with UFC and FOX?

Maybe? I am more of the opinion that UFC wants to reduce their schedule. I mean if Fox is looking for a replacement, I don't think PBC is it. PBC might not be around in 2017. They're almost 3/4 through their $528 million, and they only ran their first show in March of this year.

As far as what happens after the deal and going to ESPN, I believe that still has to play out.

• Like 1

Maybe? I am more of the opinion that UFC wants to reduce their schedule. I mean if Fox is looking for a replacement, I don't think PBC is it. PBC might not be around in 2017. They're almost 3/4 through their $528 million, and they only ran their first show in March of this year.

As far as what happens after the deal and going to ESPN, I believe that still has to play out.

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking about that from the perspective that Fox and/or UFC were moving on, but I wasn't quite sure if that's what you were getting at, or if it was more that UFC wants less, uh, saturation.

I read and enjoyed the book, I think one's enjoyment of the book will be heavily biased by how much they like Rousey.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking about that from the perspective that Fox and/or UFC were moving on, but I wasn't quite sure if that's what you were getting at, or if it was more that UFC wants less, uh, saturation.

The thing is, despite cutting 30+ fighters, the roster is still in the mid 500s. So even if they do reduce their schedule, it probably won't be that noticeable unless they go on a few more cut big sprees. They are trying their best not to get into any legal trouble.

They managed to get around 37 (+1 retirement) on the last round without getting rid of anyone of note. I believe Giagos could probably hack it in the UFC, but he would be better in WSOF or Bellator where he get a little bit of notoriety before coming back to the UFC.

If they could get rid of 90-120 more people, they would get within striking distance of a manageable roster.

If she didn't like the Travis Browne questions, she is gonna have a ton of fun during media day for UFC 193.

Between that, the nonsense with her mom, and now this, talk about distractions before a fight.

Between that, the nonsense with her mom, and now this, talk about distractions before a fight.

That's what happens when you amass popularity at an insane rate. Your business becomes everyone else's business.

You got the heavyweight champion of the world and other notable fighters (including Weidman) hanging out with brutal Chechen warlords and no one gives a shit. It is what it is.

• Like 1

So is Ryan LaFlare replacing Matt Brown for Gastelum?  I think Neil Magny would be a better choice.  Dude is really good and highly underrated.  

I haven't seen anything yet. I didn't even know LaFlare was fighting Mike Pierce on the TUF 22 Finale card. Magny is fighting Wonderboy at UFC 195.

• Like 1

Anybody heard anything on the November show for Invicta? So far I haven't seen any bouts officially announced (other than then tentative strawweight title fight) and Cyborg doesn't have an official opponent yet (I'm assuming Dandois). Plus, I haven't heard a date or a venue. If they're still running in November, they better get on it fast.

I think it was a recent Cyborg interview that said it was being pushed back to December. Still no other confirmed fights though.

Yeah, I would have to think it would be in December. If there was a show two weeks from now, we would know. Plus, I don't think they would run the Friday after Thanksgiving either. 

So I believe it would be the week after Thanksgiving or they slide it back to the week of the UFC on Fox card in Orlando. Maybe there is an off chance they do the Wednesday at the Cosmopolitan before the 3 straight UFC events in LV.

Followup:

Good news is that the show now has a date. It is December 5. 

Bad news is that Livinha/Grasso is still not happening since Grasso may be injured again.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/11/3/9647544/invicta-fc-renata-souza-alexa-grasso-she-ran-from-fight-again

They may as well have her fight Bennett or somebody else. They can't hold up the division just because one girl cannot fight.

• Like 1