DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I'd hardly call the division abysmal.  If anything Holm winning the title sort of freshens things up because beforehand we were just waiting for Rousey to crush whoever was in her path and then possibly fight Cyborg and retire.  

The way I see it, this is not a GSP situation.  And even then, GSP was still the undefeated champion when he left.  He had not just lost the belt after a crushing defeat.

• Like 1

I'd hardly call the division abysmal.  If anything Holm winning the title sort of freshens things up because beforehand we were just waiting for Rousey to crush whoever was in her path and then possibly fight Cyborg and retire.  

Well, I will do it for you then. They also haven't signed anyone since signing Holly Holm and Marion Reneau. The two other people they want to signed lost decisively to Tonya Evinger.

The way I see it, this is not a GSP situation.  And even then, GSP was still the undefeated champion when he left.  He had not just lost the belt after a crushing defeat.

This a very much a GSP situation. GSP also had been thinking about retirement LONG before the Hendricks. Turns out your old mod was right and that GSP was on the way out before UFC 167 and had no passion to fight even then. So if he comes back, beats Lawler, and vacates the belt before retiring again, wouldn't that throw a MUCH BETTER and PROVEN division in a tailspin more than Holly Holm waiting 3-4 more months to fight? That latter is something they've done multiple times, whether it was actual booking or injuries or whatever.

It feels like I need to come up a flowchart for UFC matchmaking. It feels like people are trying to prevent something that may or may not already foregone conclusion. There is no need to try to preserve Ronda Rousey, win or lose. You couldn't do that with GSP. Couldn't do that with Brock. Couldn't do that with Anderson. You can't do that with any top level fighter that may be a draw for your company. The UFC matchmakes for themselves. I said that before and I'll say that again. That's the only thing they can do. Holm vs. Tate can be a profitable fight, but is it "we can break UFC 100 records" profitable? Fuck no. Is that Holm-Rousey II? Very much so. For them, that's the end of that argument. Whether so and so winning is someone's agenda, I don't know if anyone of us can actually speak to that. No matter who wins, the checks are getting cut regardless. Everything else is just semantics.

Did I miss someone post this or? Either way terrible news. Interesting to see where it takes things if anywhere with the whole weight issue.

EDIT

won't let me link it for some reason but ONE FC fighter Yang Jian Bing passed away from complications with weight cutting.

I believe it is the ABC that's still bouncing around the extra weight classes. The problems are (1) the UFC most likely won't follow suit and (2) that doesn't help the smaller camps who are ignorant to smart weight cutting methods. If you're just some random guy who trains at a whatever random camp in Asia or Brazil, chances are the person who handles your weight cut isn't exactly a genius.

FWIW The UFC has finally signed a prospect at women's bantamweight: Valentina Shevchenko. She'll replace GdR against Sarah Kaufman next week.

If you haven't seen her, she is basically Holly Holm-lite. Southpaw with pretty good and fast kicking power. Her head kick is pretty wicked.

• Like 1

I still think waiting that long for a women's title fight when Rousey just lost decisively is a mistake when you have two ready and healthy contenders.  Now we are log-jamming the whole division for up to maybe over a year's time.  

I like how that's the case when people were bitching and complaining prior to the UFC snatching a third fight with Rousey from Tate. How did we go from "She's gotta fight Cyborg and that's what everyone wants to see. Cyborg needs to get down to 135" to there is a logjam. That's fucking ridiculous. The division is abysmal beyond a handful of fighters. Is Miesha Tate going anywhere? Nope. Is Amanda Nunes going anywhere? Nope. You can still make those fights down the line WITH or WITHOUT Ronda Rousey. It won't be that profitable (maybe they can be somewhat), but as long as the most profitable fight remains that particular rematch, then all the other stuff is irrelevant.

If GSP came back TOMORROW and wanted to fight Lawler, Dana White ain't saying "Shit, we still got make Lawler vs. Woodley and Lawler vs. Hendricks III". It ain't happening, captain. All that other shit ceases to matter. It's a money making enterprise in combat sports. We're not talking about the college football playoffs.

I get where you are coming from, but that is the kind of shit that makes me appreciate Bellator.

Man, I already really like Werdum a great deal but I hope he smashes Cain again so we can shut fuckers up about "sea level Cain". He knew where the fight was taking place and decided to put off moving his camp for as long as possible. That's on him. 

He knew where the fight was taking place and decided to put off moving his camp for as long as possible. That's on him. 

Did it twice. The first time he didn't even go to Mexico and wasn't planning to go.

WOW. I thought they'd try to ease Garbrandt into the spotlight a bit more. Unless Lineker gasses, it's an early bedtime for Mr. Garbrandt. I knew Garbrandt was significantly taller but Lineker has a fucking 4" reach advantage! I thought Cody's only chance was to keep Lineker outside with jabs and kicks but that shit ain't happening.

Seriously, if Lineker can safely and consistently make weight, he should be champion. Cruz and TJ could probably outbox him but over five rounds, I think they'd get caught at least once and that's all it takes.

I can see Garbrandt using his wrestling. Lineker's one downfall is he isn't a tremendous defender with takedowns. If he doesn't draw Garbrandt into a brawl, he could be held up against the cage and eventually dragged down.

Paul Gift ‏@MMAanalytics  2m
Sean Wheelock's ABC committee passed weight classes 9 votes to nothing of 65, 75, 85, 205 & 225 in anticipation of today's meeting.

#UFC doesn't have opposition to more weight classes, per Novitzky.