DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

But... Why doesn't the guy just....

*sigh*

That might be the worst finisher in wrestling history.

It works better on the guy when he's just standing up and stunned.  But if you stand there and wait for it like Strong does it looks AWFUL.  I don't mind the move as much as some (I mean, I used to mark out every time Tajiri did the rope bounce back elbow even if i always knew it was coming) but he'd better off to have that a flash finisher he uses on rarer occasions and something different to end most of his matches.

Is it just me or is Rowe from War Machine not very good?  Like Hansen (Hanson?) does a lot of cool stuff, offence looks good, but in that 6-man this week, Rowe's offence looked so ginger and not good that if you were new to ROH, you'd swear that Dalton Castle was the other half of War Machine, as at least his offence looked like it hurt.  That whole match looked awkward as heck.  Guys who look like stars looking like they'd never wrestled before.  Guys being out of position.  And a weird crowd deflating ending.

It is logistically dumb but also: why the fuck is a heel doing flashy shit?  Heels shouldn't be doing flippy do's and triple topes.  Those things pop the crowd, which is not what a heel is supposed to do.  Especially a guy working an "old school heel" gimmick like Lethal.

"I'm a heel, my finish is a roll up."

I finished watching BOLA 2015 the other day, and several guys used the Lethal Injection or a variant, but it actually worked as it was usually done as an out of nowhere counter or on someone that wasn't looking.  That and the person executing it didn't look like they were moving at half speed and offense that otherwise looked halfway painful.

• Like 1

dq5g4.gif

That is the stinky dooks. The way that his opponent is, like, trotting in place waiting to have the move executed on him ...

Didn't Lethal use something similar to Sister Abigail? Maybe in TNA?

That's better, though the backbreaker portion of the combo looks weak as fuck. "I will lay you gently across my knee now."

Anything is better than the Lethal Injection setup. Lethal should really just use it as a flash outta nowhere pin, like the Diamond Cutter. Or just use his "Ode to the King" flying elbow off the top rope as his finisher.

As hurty as declawed cat scratches. So, mostly puffy, at worst mildly irritating.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a declawed cat's offense. The elder of my two cats, who is now 18, has no front claws, but she won't hesitate to get you with the back claws, or even worse, bite you. 

Silas Young and the Beer City Bruiser might be my favorite non-Dalton Castle act in ROH right now. The Boys choosing to stay with Silas this week on the television show will hopefully lead to something big at Final Battle.

Face/Heel dynamics in ROH still confuse the shit out of me. Bobby Fish comes out for his tag match, and is a total babyface. He comes out later to do commentary, and he's a heel, and then pulls off the dick move of wearing Roderick Strong's television title belt around after the match.

• Like 1

Oh yeah dudes, I'm still watching it.  It's that or DVR the 1am ABC affiliate (Sinclair-owned) and set the DVR for an hour before and two hours afterward because who knows when it'll really air.  Ain't nobody got time for that.

Maybe I'll just pretend it's broadcast that way intentionally to make me nostalgic.  ROH on Comet: the crappy SD broadcast will remind you of watching Watts on UHF.

The Bobby Fish flip flopped made no sense but so did Nigel pretending he didn't completely suck at his job of the authority.

If I were Nigel, I think that once it became obvious that I wasn't getting into WWE, I probably would've just left the business altogether.

Actually really enjoyed this week of ROH

-Reddragon (Despite being an act I'm kinda meh on) vs Castle/Bruiser was really fun.

-Walker-Strong was all right and was the first time I've ever seen a wrestler pull an inhaler out of his genital area, use it, then put it back in there.

-Briscoes-Bucks was super fun and lots of heat.

Favourite part of this week's ROH was Mike Posey coming in to job to Dalton Castle and bringing a massive entourage and rapping before the match.  Just totally ridiculous and amazing stuff.

Also, that one guy who was super into Adam Cole and kept screaming "ADAM COLE, BAY-BEE!" over top of a very quiet crowd watching Cole beat up a job guy.