DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLERS OF THE DAY: CHRISTOPHER STREET CONNECTION

RIPPA

I expect Pete and Ray to chime in here since I think they might have seen these guys live more than the rest of us combined.

Poor poor Buff E and Mace Mendoza

(watch this with the sound off)

And this is the only On The Road review I could find quickly

MATCH 2 : "EXPLOSIVE" EDDIE THOMAS & TONY LAZARO vs. THE CHRISTOPHER STREET CONNECTION (Buff E & Mace Mendoza) w/ Allison Danger 

RD: I think this is Eddie's first match back from his car accident. I'm not sure why Allison was with the CSC. Mace was wearing quasi football pants which have an obvious case of VPL. Buff hit on guys in the front row, including licking the railing in front of the guy and flipping off the guy's girlfriend. They did their pop confetti bottle thing from the ring too. For the most part, Lazaro takes the pounding for the rookies team. Lazaro and Thomas both looked respectable in this and did hit a nice knee clip/jumping blockbuster move at one point. The CSC did a bunch of their stuff including the clothesline from Idaho in the corner Lazaro by Buff E, the slide across their face with your area by Mace. Eventually, Lazaro gets caught and gets a variation of the Veg-O-Matic where Buff E holds Lazaro out with the low bear hug and Mace jumps off the top over Buff E and onto Lazaro with a vertical splash. I'm leading towards calling that the TeabagTotter or Teabagger Vance. I yelled at Lazaro to close his mouth once I saw Mace going up top. Post match Mace and Buff E tease and then deliver the in ring kiss.

PP: Alison's managed them in the on the odd occasion so I didn't think anything of it. There's a couple of throwbacks giving CSC a ton of heel heat for the gimmick, but they're in the vast minority here as it's impossible to boo them no matter how over the top they go with the gimmick. Buff has everyone dying on our side of the ring as he comes onto the guy and licks the guardrail. The postmatch kiss is hysterical just for Brian XL and the SATs (hanging out at the show) reacting to it.

Okay - did find more

MATCH 2: THE CHRISTOPHER STREET CONNECTION (Mace Mendoza & Buff E) w/ Fun 

Athletic Guy & Chris Cabana vs. THE REDNECKS FROM HELL

RD: I'm not sure of what the Rednecks names names were, I think it was something and something Lariat. Pre match, the CSC put down the Whipwreck students. They also said, they didn't know who the Rednecks were, but they were "the Fags from the village". The Rednecks attack during the pre-match conference session by the CSC. Mace and one of the Rednecks had some good exchanges of elbows in this. Buff E's offense seems like it should be sponsored by Idaho because his shots seem like mostly potato shots. They do the kiss spot they did from Queens, but the CSC get out of the way of the Rednecks charging them and one of the Rednecks ends up clotheslining the other, leading to the finish which was a side slam by Buff E and a Top Rope leg drop by Mace.

PP: The CSC was not afraid to just beat the heterosexuality out of the Rednecks here. I love how they do a flaming gay gimmick in Noo Joisey and they’re gigantically over as BABYFACES, although this may have been more due to the fact that they were the “home team” against the heretofore-unknown Rednecks.

TKG: Mace Mendoza is a fine worker and I think the other guys underrate the performance of the Rednecks From Hell. Buff Es clotheslines need to be seen to be appreciated. I dug this a ton. Despite the sausage fest mic work, this was a potato fest.

PAS: I am very amused that Buff E was one of those guys that Lo-Ki was supposed to have worked too stiff with, considering all he does is potato shot people, no bumps, no moves. Just wanders around, swishes and stiffs people. I can’t see him complaining about anyone. It is too bad that Feinstien is such a skid mark, as his gimmick is pretty great, he was wearing these amazing Red Leather zipper shorts, and I am a long time supporter of legitimate lifestyle choice gay gimmicks. He even had Chris Cabana as his personal Pony, if Cabana is desperate enough to get into the business to take Feinstien pony duty he is a comer, you can’t teach that kind of dedication. The Redneck named Lariat did not have a good lariat.

My first thought was that they added something to early ROH cards that broke up a certain amount of the handshakery. 

My second thought is that I would have really liked to see them work Rey Bucanero/Ultimo Guerrero in 2002-2003. 

They actually worked Dick Togo/Ikuto Hidaka in Japan if that's close enough for government work.

• Like 1

THE GAY BASHER. The key is, would you be man enough to have kissed them during their ring entrance instead of Dieno essentially molesting you like is the norm today?

K-Murda of All Money Is Legal wrote diss tracks about The CSC.  Since K-Murda is gangsta, I do not have to tell you that the language in this track is NSFW.

WRESTLING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS~!

THE GAY BASHER. The key is, would you be man enough to have kissed them during their ring entrance instead of Dieno essentially molesting you like is the norm today?

I gladly kissed Buff E at several ROH shows and still have the feather boa he gave me at one of them. I think the ironic part is that (iirc) one of them has several kids out of wedlock. CSC were freaking awesome, I really miss them and would mark out HUGE if they ever appeared on another ROH show.

My first thought was that they added something to early ROH cards that broke up a certain amount of the handshakery. 

I loved how after all the hype about how serious and anti-sports-entertainment Ring Of Honor was gonna be, the very first segment of their very first show was an unfunny comedy skit consisting of a homophobic gay-bashing angle with two dudes making out in the middle of the ring.  Why yes, RF did promote this, how could ya tell?  

• Like 2

They were also involved in the tremendously sports entertainment moment of the Mike Kruel/Becky Bayless wedding where they beat Matt Striker and Simon Diamond earlier in the evening and made them be the dates to the ceremony.

They were also involved in the tremendously sports entertainment moment of the Mike Kruel/Becky Bayless wedding where they beat Matt Striker and Simon Diamond earlier in the evening and made them be the dates to the ceremony.

The only thing that angle didn't have was a chuppah and a wineglass. So great.

These guys were so awesome, easily a highspot on the RoH shows I saw them on.

Amazing aside, I forgot who they were working against in RoH, but Buff E was injured, so he was replaced, by Hernendez (yeah, SuperMex, LAX Hernendez back when he was Hotstuff Hernendez).  If there was ever a dude you never thought would go along with that, it was him.  But to his credit, he went all in, feathered boa, doing the YMCA, over the top sunglasses, playing it up with Mace.  I gotta find it.

• Like 1

These guys were so awesome, easily a highspot on the RoH shows I saw them on.

Amazing aside, I forgot who they were working against in RoH, but Buff E was injured, so he was replaced, by Hernendez (yeah, SuperMex, LAX Hernendez back when he was Hotstuff Hernendez).  If there was ever a dude you never thought would go along with that, it was him.  But to his credit, he went all in, feathered boa, doing the YMCA, over the top sunglasses, playing it up with Mace.  I gotta find it.

Night of Champions 2003, vs Loc and Devito.