DVDVR Message Board

2014-15 NCAAF - THE PLAYOFFS! (and Bowls)

Dolfan in NYC

Speaking of the Big 12 expansion possibilities.  A friend of mine mentioned The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga as a possibility. His exact words were "So apparently the Big 12 wants UT-Chattanooga to join them so they can have a championship game again." I don't know if he was goofin' around since he never gave a source. To be honest, it wouldn't exactly be the worst choice in the world. I have somewhat followed them over a number of years since I used to live in Nooga. They are a decent program. This year they are the Southern League champions and are facing New Hampshire in Quarter finals of the NCAA championship. I remember they used to host the championship game every year at Finley Stadium. I thought I read somewhere that they change the site a few years ago. Sure, they will probably be the Vanderbilt/Indiana of the Big 12 for a bit, but I see potential in them down the line to be a sleeper team in the Big 12.  Yes, people here will dispute, but hopefully I can get some backers on this.

Central Michigan's reaction to being invited to the Bahamas Bowl is great:

http://youtu.be/lgOjiHTcgGc

That's freaking awesome.

That it is they hit the lottery with that Bowl Bid the fucking Bahamas and they get a fucking SWAG BAG!

As much as I would have hated it for the kids, faking out from the Bahamas Bowl only to wind up in the Quick Lane Bowl would have been the best troll job ever.

• Like 1

Speaking of the Big 12 expansion possibilities.  A friend of mine mentioned The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga as a possibility. His exact words were "So apparently the Big 12 wants UT-Chattanooga to join them so they can have a championship game again." I don't know if he was goofin' around since he never gave a source. To be honest, it wouldn't exactly be the worst choice in the world. I have somewhat followed them over a number of years since I used to live in Nooga. They are a decent program. This year they are the Southern League champions and are facing New Hampshire in Quarter finals of the NCAA championship. I remember they used to host the championship game every year at Finley Stadium. I thought I read somewhere that they change the site a few years ago. Sure, they will probably be the Vanderbilt/Indiana of the Big 12 for a bit, but I see potential in them down the line to be a sleeper team in the Big 12.  Yes, people here will dispute, but hopefully I can get some backers on this.

If UTC was going to move up, they should have moved to the Sun Belt this year with former conference-mates Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. There's not a chance in the world that the Big 12 is going to expand to include an FCS team that has a 20,000 seat football stadium.

The most obvious expansion teams for the Big 12 would be BYU, Cincinnati, and then possibly Boise State, Colorado State and Memphis.

The big 12 isn't really full of huge stadiums anyway, outside of Texas, and to a lesser extent, OU.  Baylor's new stadium actually reduced their capacity, and the old one wasn't exactly huge. 

If there is any expansion, I'd say Dewar's list is a pretty good bet.  I might add Central Florida as well.

The really interesting thing to me would be how they would split the divisions.  I'm guessing they'd have to do something where they put OU and Texas in separate divisions, but keep them as a rivalry game.  Like how the SEC does it with real, or invented, rivalries that get played every year.  That game is the league's only real money game, so they've got to keep it no matter what.

As much as I would have hated it for the kids, faking out from the Bahamas Bowl only to wind up in the Quick Lane Bowl would have been the best troll job ever.

Or swerve 'em with the Quick Lane Bowl and then reveal they're really going to the Bahamas.

The B1G has ten teams in bowl games this year. They're all underdogs.

Louisiana Tech vs Illinois (+6)

North Carolina vs Rutgers (+3)

Boston College vs Penn State (+2.5)

USC vs Nebraska (+6)

Stanford vs Maryland (+14)

Auburn vs Wisconsin (+6.5)

Baylor vs Michigan State (+3)

Missouri vs Minnesota (+6)

Alabama vs Ohio State (+8.5)

Tennessee vs Iowa (+3.5)

If UTC was going to move up, they should have moved to the Sun Belt this year with former conference-mates Georgia Southern and Appalachian State. There's not a chance in the world that the Big 12 is going to expand to include an FCS team that has a 20,000 seat football stadium.

The most obvious expansion teams for the Big 12 would be BYU, Cincinnati, and then possibly Boise State, Colorado State and Memphis.

Yeah, like I said, I thought my friend was just joking around. I didn't take it all seriously. just an entertaining thought and idea. agree with your idea of them moving to the sun belt, but I think they need a few more years in the Southern to establish more dominance.

The B1G has ten teams in bowl games this year. They're all underdogs.

Louisiana Tech vs Illinois (+6)

North Carolina vs Rutgers (+3)

Boston College vs Penn State (+2.5)

USC vs Nebraska (+6)

Stanford vs Maryland (+14)

Auburn vs Wisconsin (+6.5)

Baylor vs Michigan State (+3)

Missouri vs Minnesota (+6)

Alabama vs Ohio State (+8.5)

Tennessee vs Iowa (+3.5)

Ohio St. though!

I like Minnesota, and Iowa plus the points in both of those matchups. Not sure why Stanford is favored by 14 either, outside of killing UCLA they haven't been up to their normal level of play.

North Carolina sucks, but so does Rutgers, so that's a crapshoot line. Just pick the over, since UNC can't stop anybody.

Central Michigan's reaction to being invited to the Bahamas Bowl is great:

That's freaking awesome.

That it is they hit the lottery with that Bowl Bid the fucking Bahamas and they get a fucking SWAG BAG!

I had that thought as well some school will probably do it in the future just to get on ESPN and get blasted for a couple of days.

It's the most wonderful time of the year:  Ranking the BOWL SWAG!

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ranking-the-Bowl-Gifts--33740216

The bowl gifts are ranked as follows:

1. Hawaii Bowl- Oakley Holbrook sunglasses; Oakley Works backpack; Tori Richard aloha shirt; Pro Athletics t-shirt/shorts/swim trunks; beach towel

Hawaii. The end... Even if a sunburn is your gift, you take it and don't complain because you're in Hawaii.

2. TIE- Buffalo Wild Wings Citrus Bowl- $447 Best Buy gift card and shopping trip; watch; athletic performance shirt

Russell Athletic Bowl- $447 Best Buy gift card and shopping trip; watch; athletic performance shirt

Sunny Florida and a $447 gift card? Jackpot.

3. Popeyes Bahamas Bowl- Ogio Marshall Pack backpack; New Era 39Thirty cap

What the gift package lacks, the location makes up for a million times over.

4. Miami Beach Bowl- Under Armour sunglasses; Under Armour cap; Oakley Halifax backpack; electronics product

Electronics product? Pretty mysterious, but Under Armour rarely disappoints, and it’s in Miami.

5. TIE- National University Holiday Bowl- $445 Best Buy gift card and shopping trip; Fossil watch; cap

That Best Buy gift card is a lot of money, and it’s in San Diego. Not as good as Florida, but still good.

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl- Best Buy gift card; Fossil watch; cap

Assuming the gift card amount is in the same range, this gift and location combination is hard to beat.

6. Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl- $300 Vanilla Visa gift card; Chick-fil-A gift card; Apple TV; Fossil watch; football

Atlanta is pretty fun, but Visa gift card? Chick-fil-A gift card?…enough said. I was sold on this bowl before I even got to Apple TV.

7. Outback Bowl- $150 Best Buy gift card; Outback Steakhouse gift card; Fossil watch; Jostens rings; cap

Pretty solid gift (two gift cards and one is for steak), and it's located in Tampa, Florida. Not bad.

8. Rose Bowl- Fossil watch; Oakley Works backpack; New Era 59Fifty cap

The gift is a little light. Good location, though.

9. Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl- Oakley Works backpack

Backpack not that impressive, but maybe the players can gamble their way into some more swag.

10. Gildan New Mexico Bowl- AudioSource Sound portable/mobile speaker; mobile phone charger; Oakley Works backpack; Oakley Enduro sunglasses/beanie; cap;

Gildan blanket Gift is not skimpy, but New Mexico is just OK.

11. Belk Bowl- Shopping trip to Belk department store; Fossil watch

Charlotte, NC is a great location. “Shopping trip” is pretty vague but has the potential to be a solid bowl gift.

12. TaxSlayer Bowl -Panasonic gift suite; Fossil watch

13. Capital One Orange Bowl- Tourneau watch

14. Allstate Sugar Bowl- Fossil watch; New Era cap

Skimpy gift, but NOLA is a fun city. You're probably actually getting beads as your gift.

15. R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl -Fossil watch

16. Valero Alamo Bowl- GoPro Hero4 Silver camera and 32 GB memory card; Fossil watch; Oakley Works backpack; Schutt mini helmet; panoramic photo.

Interested to see some of these GoPro videos...

17. Bitcoin St. Petersburg Bowl- Oakley Breadbox sunglasses; Oakley Works backpack

18. Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl- Ogio Marshall Pack backpack; beanie; Big Game football

19. AdvoCare V100 Texas Bowl- adidas Team Speed duffel bag; cap; belt buckle

20. Foster Farms Bowl -Fossil watch

21. Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl- Fossil watch

Yeah the gift isn’t that cool, but Nashville is underrated.

22. New Era Pinstripe Bowl- Variety of New Era products

Prepare to freeze.

23. Hyundai Sun Bowl- Timely Watch Co. watch; Ogio Politan backpack; Helen of Troy hair dryer; Majestic fleece pullover; Top of the World cap

Really confused by the hair dryer.

24. Military Bowl- Microsoft Xbox One console; Under Armour backpack; Might Boom Ball speakers; beanie

Gift is reason enough to rank them higher, but location (Maryland) knocks them down

25. Quick Lane Bowl- $250 Best Buy gift card; Sony headphones; custom-made Fathead for each player with their likeness; various apparel; football

We see what you're doing, Quick Lane Bowl. Clearly trying to make up for the fact that the bowl is in Detroit.

26. Vizio Fiesta Bowl- Fossil watch; Ogio Rogue backpack

27. TicketCity Cactus Bowl -Fossil watch; Ogio Rogue backpack

28. Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl- Ogio Marshall Pack backpack; beanie; Big Game football
Fort Worth, Texas

29. AutoZone Liberty Bowl- Sol Republic Deck Ultra wireless bluetooth speaker; Bulova watch; Nike athletic shoes/sport sandals/backpack; game ball

Nice gifts, but Memphis. Sorry.

30. Duck Commander Independence Bowl- Timely Watch Co. watch; New Era ski cap; football

Shreveport, Louisiana…

31. GoDaddy Bowl- Sol Republic Tracks Air wireless/bluetooth on-ear headphones; watch; Coleman chair; military style backpack; Wilson football

All the gifts in the world can’t make up for this bowl being in Mobile, Alabama.

32. Birmingham Bowl- Oakley sunglasses; beanie; hooded sweatshirt; Big Game football

33. Raycom Media Camellia Bowl- Fossil watch; cap; souvenir pylon; football

34. Famous Idaho Potato Bowl- Ohio backpack; winter coat; winter gloves; winter beanie; Big Game football

Yeah there’s a lot of substance to this gift, but way too much “winter” in the description. The gift basket should come with an apology letter.

Unable to rank:

Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic -Information not available; bowl committee would not disclose

CFP Championship game- Information not available; bowl committee would not disclose

(These gifts are probably going to be awesome).

• Like 1

Those rankings aren't fair. The guy isn't ranking the gifts themselves - he's ranking the gift combined with location. And that's fine, just don't call it a gift ranking if that's not what you're doing.

• Like 2

Those rankings aren't fair. The guy isn't ranking the gifts themselves - he's ranking the gift combined with location. And that's fine, just don't call it a gift ranking if that's not what you're doing.

Eh, I don't have a problem with it.  He was honest about his criteria. And the players wouldn't be going to these locales otherwise. 

Let's be honest:  Hawaii + no swag >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Montgomery, AL + $600 in gifts.

I call BS on ranking Florida over the Bahamas no matter what, though.

I haven't heard anything about this. I'm a senior at UTC and have lived in the Nooga area since I was 7. The program is certainly improving. The big quarterfinals game is tonight. The national title games are no longer played here. My Dad and brother went to a couple of them years ago. There were major field issues in the last few games here which was probably a major factor in the relocation of the game. It would be cool for the university and city to get invited to a major conference, but I doubt it. Finley is likely too small. Plus, the Chattanooga market isn't all that big. Maybe that's not a huge factor, but it seems like it might be. Still, It'd be neat if it happened.

The others look like they're protecting themselves from the oncoming Bobby Hill-inspired pecan kick from Saban.

That's my trophy!  I don't know you!

cnj3Wb1.jpg

Jimbo looks like he wants to hurt whoever he is looking at. Maybe the person is yelling at him about how his offensive system isn't that great but talent overcomes it.