DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

If he was taking Supplements like bodybuilders do, there's every chance that he could have taken a spiked pill. Supplement companies have a nasty habit of spiking pills with steroids, so guys get unnatural results while training clean (as far as they know).

Someone somewhere will one day set up a clean pills company, and every tested athlete will want to use (get sponsored by) them. But they'll go out of business because non-pro athletes will try them, not see the results they would get from using questionable supps and go back to the dirty companies.

But still. If you ever wanted to set up a business that would get you talked about before you lost all your money, the No False Positives Supplement Co. is right there waiting to be started.

If he was taking Supplements like bodybuilders do, there's every chance that he could have taken a spiked pill. Supplement companies have a nasty habit of spiking pills with steroids, so guys get unnatural results while training clean (as far as they know).

Someone somewhere will one day set up a clean pills company, and every tested athlete will want to use (get sponsored by) them. But they'll go out of business because non-pro athletes will try them, not see the results they would get from using questionable supps and go back to the dirty companies.

But still. If you ever wanted to set up a business that would get you talked about before you lost all your money, the No False Positives Supplement Co. is right there waiting to be started.

Just asking: If that was the case, wouldn't he have a good case for an appeal then? I know the whole tainted supplement excuse is kinda played out, but Gilbert would gain nothing sitting out a year.

It's hard to prove you're innocent when you've eaten all the evidence.

Couldn't he just say, "Here, this is what I took and after research I found this company/product is notorious for false positives" and at least go the the leniency route?

IMHO, if fighters are actually doing that, there is still no excuse.  There is no excuse for taking spiked pills or taken supplements.  Because that excuse is essentially ignorance.  They didn't know what they were taking was banned.  Fighters should know.  Considering fighters have made this excuse before, they should know exactly what they are putting in their body, especially supplements.  

And if that was really true, wouldn't we see more lawsuits against supplement companies considering all the athletes who have claimed to take spiked supplements?  IMHO, it's BS.

Cyborg wasn't taking steroids just one time.  She was taking them her whole career.   Look at her body.  Her body has been physically altered by years of steroids abuse.  Her altered jawline.  Her masculine voice.  That's a result of steroid abuse.  I'm not being a jerk, those are side effects of what steroids do to women.

It's hard to prove you're innocent when you've eaten all the evidence.

Couldn't he just say, "Here, this is what I took and after research I found this company/product is notorious for false positives" and at least go the the leniency route?

That type of research should be done before you ingest it.

And they say why didn't you know about the false positives before you put this supplement in your system.

Because none of the fighters actually have that knowledge prior to taking them.

I think what would have been smart prior to the implementation of this current program is have that one last fighter summit to discuss said program. A lot of these fighters are poorly educated on the dos and don'ts. Plus, you could avoid stuff like this which I am sure will happen again:

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/02/video-chuck-liddell-says-current-drug-testing-situation-the-best-you-can-do

Cyborg wasn't taking steroids just one time.  She was taking them her whole career.   Look at her body.  Her body has been physically altered by years of steroids abuse.  Her altered jawline.  Her masculine voice.  That's a result of steroid abuse.  I'm not being a jerk, those are side effects of what steroids do to women.

I dunno about whole career. Storm Samurai era Cris Cyborg and Strikeforce Cris Cyborg is the difference between NWA Dr. Dre and "I got all this Beats By Dre money laying around" Dr. Dre. Just a stark difference.

Anyway, speaking of her:

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3820-invicta-fc-13-cyborg-vs-van-duin-792015-las-vegas-nv-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas/#entry388539

Josh Samman is live tweeting the drug testing meeting with UFC officials in Vegas. Very interesting stuff.

Josh Samman @JoshSamman 4m4 minutes ago

Detailing THC metabolite threshold. Athlete would probably have to be smoking heavily and very near fight in order to fail.

Josh Samman @JoshSamman
Jeff says second time athlete is not found he will get on plane himself to find athlete.

Josh Samman @JoshSamman 1m1 minute ago

Jeff says he has seen plentiful examples of supplement industry tainting own products, some without labeling. "Buyer beware" #giblert

Am I the only person that thinks the UFC is going way overboard? I'm just as against cheating or using PEDs as the next person, but banning IVs (starting in October?), not caring if a supplement was tainted without a fighter or their team knowing about it, the extraordinarily lengthy time for bans, etc. seems like complete overkill. It's like they want to the way extreme spectrum for stopping the use of PEDs and there was a better and more even handed way to go about it.

Between this and the Reebok deal, I don't see why you wouldn't go to Bellator unless you're one of UFC's top fighters.

Am I the only person that thinks the UFC is going way overboard? I'm just as against cheating or using PEDs as the next person, but banning IVs (starting in October?), not caring if a supplement was tainted without a fighter or their team knowing about it, the extraordinarily lengthy time for bans, etc. seems like complete overkill. It's like they want to the way extreme spectrum for stopping the use of PEDs and there was a better and more even handed way to go about it.

It's still too early to tell for me just because I'm intrigued to see how much of this is the UFC's brass, Novitzky, and/or USADA. I'm also interested to see how much push back there is over the next few months by the fighters. I mean I expected the lengthy suspensions actually, but it only matters if the fighters expected that. A lot of the fighters wanted the sport to be cleaned up. Well, here is the UFC's answer for cleaning it up.

Between this and the Reebok deal, I don't see why you wouldn't go to Bellator unless you're one of UFC's top fighters.

Right now, if they don't let you go, you're staying with them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they do have matching rights in these contracts.

Plus, Bellator really cannot sign every fighter that falls between the cracks. They still have limited card space as of right now. If you're a can't miss prospect who needs a ton of seasoning, then you definitely have choices. Otherwise, you're risking being a Bellator washout who basically becomes a MMA journeyman until you wind up on a season or two of TUF. The fact that some of the guys released by Bellator have not been picked up yet speaks volumes to the current state of MMA. Five or six years ago, someone like Julio Cesar Neves would get every opportunity to try to solidify himself as a prospect. Now, he has to go back to the Brazilian regional circuit and bust a few more heads before getting another shot anywhere. If he loses a split decision or something of that nature, he is super fucked then.

Also, how much of a difference is there in "let me make 3k/3k with my sponsors to fight on Spike.com" and "let me make 10k/10k and take the 25 hundred with to wear Reebok"? I think fighters have this wishful thinking where they hope to be the next Conor McGregor or Jon Jones where people believe they can be a star after two fights. I think for this to change, the Coker era of Bellator has to make a star from stratch.

• Like 1

No.  If you want to truly clean up the sport, this is what has to happen.  Banning IVs IMHO should happen.  Fighters are already cutting too dangerous amounts of weight, so they should weight cut more responsibly.  In addition, I think IVs have too much potential for abuse.  

For years, people have complained UFC and commissions weren't doing enough to weed out cheaters and crack down on them.  Well now its happening.  You can't close the door now and say its too much.

At the end of the day, there is no way you get as much in Bellator as you do in the UFC unless you get to be one the bigger fishes in the smaller pond.  Look at how Michael Chandler's payouts, the so called highest paid lightweight in the game, have already fluctuated since he lost the title.  Or you want to beat lesser competition and look like a badass.  

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/16/8975527/ufc-class-action-antitrust-lawsuit-motion-to-stay-discovery-mma-news

These opposing positions will eventually require a ruling. Over the next few months, we may get a peek as to what the ruling will be. A hearing on the UFC's motion to delay discovery will take place on July 28 and a hearing on their motion to dismiss the case should soon be put on the schedule and follow.

When Judge Boulware hands down his ruling on the first motion, we might get a "preliminary peek" of his views on the motion to dismiss. This peek is not supposed to prejudge the outcome of his ruling, but last I checked Judge Boulware is a human being and we've been known to sometimes leave clues about our behavior.

Next will come the motion to dismiss where the case will either proceed in its entirety, be dismissed in its entirety or be narrowed down and possibly amended.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/16/8975527/ufc-class-action-antitrust-lawsuit-motion-to-stay-discovery-mma-news

These opposing positions will eventually require a ruling. Over the next few months, we may get a peek as to what the ruling will be. A hearing on the UFC's motion to delay discovery will take place on July 28 and a hearing on their motion to dismiss the case should soon be put on the schedule and follow.

When Judge Boulware hands down his ruling on the first motion, we might get a "preliminary peek" of his views on the motion to dismiss. This peek is not supposed to prejudge the outcome of his ruling, but last I checked Judge Boulware is a human being and we've been known to sometimes leave clues about our behavior.

Next will come the motion to dismiss where the case will either proceed in its entirety, be dismissed in its entirety or be narrowed down and possibly amended.

Ruling made a few hours ago:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/7/28/9064379/ufc-fighters-lawsuit-judge-denies-motion-discovery-antitrust

I agree.  They should've cut Wanderlei Silva loose and left him to his own devices after the whole running from drug test thing.  I know part of it was probably wanting prevent Bellator from getting him, but it really makes no sense to keep him under contract anymore.  He's just a headache to the MMA community now.

• 2 weeks later...