DVDVR Message Board

Lawsuits, Fighter Pay, and Drug Tests: Tibau Fails Post Fight Drug Test In Addition to OoC Test

Elsalvajeloco

Guest Edwin

This Reebok deal has been the best thing in the history of MMA from an entertainment stand point.

The price is high because that's about the average cost of an official athlete jersey.

Except the jerseys from other sports are wearable and from athletes someone may actually know.

No one of the general public would know who Tom Lawlor or Cub Swanson are. Much less would they recognize Thomas Lawlor or Kevin Swanson.

What a pathetic mess really.

As Reebok wasn't a stale enough brand to partner with already.

Eh we'll see.  Everyone laughed at Fight Pass when it started, and it became profitable faster than WWE Network.

And now I see that fighters still have walkout shirts and weigh in shirts in varying lame designs. So what is the point of the jersey?

They may as well have gone all in and slapped a "C" in the upper-right or upper-left hand corner of the shirt for the walkout shirt and made those gold for champions. I'd imagine NFL would throw a fit about that, but then again, the Rock had his t-shirt with the captain's "C" on it and the NFL didn't say anything about that.

Guest Edwin

The price is high because that's about the average cost of an official athlete jersey.

Except the jerseys from other sports are wearable and from athletes someone may actually know.

No one of the general public would know who Tom Lawlor or Cub Swanson are. Much less would they recognize Thomas Lawlor or Kevin Swanson.

Eh we'll see.  Everyone laughed at Fight Pass when it started, and it became profitable faster than WWE Network.

When Fight Pass began they were basically offering past Dan Lauzon fights and unaired prelims from a ton of fighters no one cared to watch for $9.99 a month.

Reebok is a horrible brand who hasn't produced anything good ever aside from the Reebok Pumps in 90's and AI products in the early 00's.

They already showed us what they're going to bring to the UFC table and it's not pleasant. I mean, you know it's a recipe for disaster when even those who're to benefit from it hate it.

When Fight Pass began they were basically offering past Dan Lauzon fights and unaired prelims from a ton of fighters no one cared to watch for $9.99 a month.

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that. They had a ton of whole events at the start and a bunch of great WEC fights. Considering how much they had to cover, they got a lot of stuff up fast in just a couple months. I think the problem was people didn't like the search because it brought up some unrelated stuff. Plus, you had some streaming problems during the first couple cards and prelims. However, a lot of the complaints were negligible and just plain irrational.

Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that. They had a ton of whole events at the start and a bunch of great WEC fights. Considering how much they had to cover, they got a lot of stuff up fast in just a couple months. I think the problem was people didn't like the search because it brought up some unrelated stuff. Plus, you had some streaming problems during the first couple cards and prelims. However, a lot of the complaints were negligible and just plain irrational.

i signed up to Fight Pass for the free trial in the first week or two and thought it sucked. the fights they offered were severely lacking, the streaming wasn't the greatest, and the search feature sucked balls.

i didn't laugh at it, but it had to make some huge improvements before it would be worth any money. i believe they've improved everything that i had issues with since then, so good on them.

i signed up to Fight Pass for the free trial in the first week or two and thought it sucked. the fights they offered were severely lacking, the streaming wasn't the greatest, and the search feature sucked balls.

i didn't laugh at it, but it had to make some huge improvements before it would be worth any money. i believe they've improved everything that i had issues with since then, so good on them.

What fights were they severely lacking?

My larger point is this: At no point did it make sense to say, "Hey, I don't think they're going to make any improvements".  Seeing as people could you know....sign up a few months after it started when a lot more stuff would be up and some of the bugs were worked out. Better yet, do the trial month and the come back, which I am assuming a ton of people did. Basically, the UFC had nothing but incentives for making sure the service got better.

I could see if this was the UFC's fifth attempt of a streaming service and fight library directly aimed a consumers rather than UFC.tv. However, for ten bucks, you were getting essentially a service that was pretty much guaranteed to improve over the span of several months. If this was just a monthly thing where you purchased PPVs for sixty dollars, then I could see people being furious about the stream crapping out. However, I don't think blowing up over not having PRIDE 7 or the entire fight docket of one guy is that sensible. There are various other ways and methods to watch those fights. You could also buy a DVD or whatever off of eBay for like five bucks. For only ten bucks, unless you're living in Section 8 housing or the boonies, I don't see the rationale of expecting everything to be at your fingertips.

Right, because nobody put a C in the corner of a jersey before the NFL.

Get outta your football bubble.

Jesus Fucking Christ. I was referring to the C in the rectangle with the stars underneath. 

But I hope you enjoyed your time of feeling like you were intellectually superior to someone before finding out that, yes, they know that hockey jerseys also have a C and that someone has a Chris Chelios jersey with the captain's C on it.

Also, this is going to blow your mind, but the A...it stands for Alternate!

Pretty much everyone thought fightpass sucked in the beginning. 

Reebok is a horrible brand who hasn't produced anything good ever aside from the Reebok Pumps in 90's and AI products in the early 00's

This is kind of harsh.  They were a shoe company.  They just never caught on or had the marketing strategy of Nike.  That's not to say their shoes or products were any worse.  They were made by the same kids that made the Nikes. 

Guest Edwin

Yeah, but those WEC events had been online forever, so they only really had a handful of stuff to put online that wasn't already there. That's what I meant.

I also don't like watching non-live events that I know the result to because it kills the enjoyment most of the time for me personally.

However they had done some changes improving with better, more stable streams of events that are getting a little better and the documentaries they've produced that I have seen have been pretty good.

Reebok is a horrible brand who hasn't produced anything good ever aside from the Reebok Pumps in 90's and AI products in the early 00's

This is kind of harsh.  They were a shoe company.  They just never caught on or had the marketing strategy of Nike.  That's not to say their shoes or products were any worse.  They were made by the same kids that made the Nikes. 

They never caught on because their products were horrible, that's why.

They never caught on because their products were horrible, that's why.

Hello hyperbole. Saying their products are horrible isn't remotely true. If I'm picking a running shoe, I'm probably still choosing New Balance over Reebok, but the Reeboks I've worn have been fine, if just slightly more expensive. They also make replica NHL jerseys, which feel like the best I've purchased as far as replicas go. Way better than Starter or Koho (and probably no one remembers them).

Is it that we thought Fight Pass would suck or that we thought the WWE Network which was coming out around the same time would be absolutely incredible and make Fight Pass look like shit

That what it was, imo. I mean the argument that MMA has no replay value compared to wrestling is kinda stupid. It was based off of nothing.

Then it turned out, yeah, what gets the most clicks is the new stuff on both platforms. That's hilarious.

my memory doesn't quite fill in all of the details, but i remember your bigger names like Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, GSP, etc. had quite a few of their fights on there. I think there was a Pride "best of" collection or two on there, but no full events. A couple of the early UFC events (like 1 and 2) and a few of the bigger ones (100, for example) were there, but there were SOOO many missing things it immediately turned me off.

i do remember WEC being fairly prominent, tho, i'm not sure if it was full events or just highlights of then-current UFC fighters.

my memory doesn't quite fill in all of the details, but i remember your bigger names like Chuck Liddell, Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, GSP, etc. had quite a few of their fights on there. I think there was a Pride "best of" collection or two on there, but no full events. A couple of the early UFC events (like 1 and 2) and a few of the bigger ones (100, for example) were there, but there were SOOO many missing things it immediately turned me off.

i do remember WEC being fairly prominent, tho, i'm not sure if it was full events or just highlights of then-current UFC fighters.

I do remember that they had full PRIDE events. I haven't checked in a bit, but I think that they still have the full events rather than many of the individual fights.

The missing WEC was I think a good portion of the HDNet run. The missing Zuffa era stuff was usually some of the unaired prelims. Then again, I am not sure how hard people are looking for Mike Budnik fights.

Following his bout at UFC 188 in Mexico City on June 13, UFC lightweight Gilbert Melendez tested positive for exogenous origin of testosterone metabolites. The UFC has a strict, consistent policy against the use of any illegal and/or performance enhancing drugs, stimulants or masking agents by our athletes. As a result of the positive test, Melendez has accepted a one-year suspension, effective from the date of the bout, for violating the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy and Promotional Agreement with Zuffa, LLC.

“Regrettably, I tested positive in my post fight urine sample for UFC 188,” Melendez said. “I did not inject anything, but I am responsible and accept the consequences for the results.  I will make sure I am better educated about the products I use and their implications. Going forward I will ensure no products I use will contain banned substances. I am sincerely apologetic to everyone who supports me, including my fans, sponsors and the UFC.  I value your trust and respect and will do everything in my power to keep it.”

Melendez will no longer compete as scheduled on July 15. UFC officials are currently seeking a new opponent for Al Iaquinta, who was scheduled to face Melendez.

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-Gilbert-Melendez

So stupid. You're going to get caught. If you're messing with PEDs, it's a near certainty you're going to piss hot. He won't be the last either, which blows my mind, unless you really want the vacation from professional fighting.