DVDVR Message Board

Spider-Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Fantastic Four and other non Marvel Studios films.

I don't think Spider-Man 3 was that awful, but it was disappointing.

Spider-Man 3 was as good, if not better than ASM2. Spider-Man 3 would have been better if it had half the charm that Garfield and Stone have.

Spider-Man 3 was as good, if not better than ASM2.

Yikes. Movie enjoyment is largely subjective, but man. I thought Spider-Man 3 was in the same pantheon of abominable superhero films with the last two of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, X-Men Origins, Fantastic Four and Green Lantern.  And I'm someone who ranks the first Raimi efforts among my all-time favorites. 

I would put SM3, Fantastic Four & Green Lantern on the same level.  they're all unobtrusively bland movies, neither really good, nor bad.

Green Lantern is like a platonic superhero movie.

. Am I not allowed to think this is a bad movie? .

Considering how I get jumped on for my feelings on TDKR, not liking Winter Solider, and that ST Into Darkness was shit and that SW7 is gonna suck...

Not in these parts.  You go with the flock and like it!

Spider-Man 3 was as good, if not better than ASM2.

Holy shit, HOW?!

You want to talk about a convoluted mess...  that was it. ASM2 made sense, was more TRUE to what Spider-Man really is, a faithful adaptation, played up the humor aspect..etc. and I've gone on and on about how great Garfield and Stone are. Spider-Man 3 had pretty much no redeeming qualities about it. Everything was rushed. Everything was bad. The acting was gross. The action sequences were gross. Topher Gross I mean Grace was gross.

Spider-man 3 is a mess, but there is nothing in ASM2 as good as the Peter/Harry fight in the mansion.

Anyway, Fresh, the best reason to see ASM2 is that the action sequences are REALLY well done.  The plot is full of holes, some of it is completely nonsensical, but god damn did they deliver on the action.

And Emma Stone was, once again, tremendous as Gwen.

LOL to ASM2 making sense and being true to the comic. I'm assuming you mean in the sense that the comic often veers into nonsense. Anyway, at the heart of the matter is that Peter Parker in ASM and ASM 2 is a dick. He's a punk ass, whereas Peter Parker in the Raimi movies perfectly captured the awkwardness of the character. I'm sick of people acting as if those Raimi movies contained no humor when that is bullshit spouted by people grasping at straws to defend a weak, weak movie.

Spider-Man 3, being as good if not better than ASM 2 doesn't make it a good movie. Don't mistake use of the word better to indicate that the former is of any value. It isn't.

Some people really like ASM 2. Fine. There's nothing wrong with that. Some people also like blood sausage.

My thoughts on the Maguire/Dunst pairing prior to Spider-Man 3 were "He's okay and she's awful." My thoughts on the pair after Spider-Man 3 were "I never want to see either one of these people on my screen again"

So I guess that's true..   I still think Garfield and Stone smoke them in every way imaginable. Garfield and Maguire are fairly close in the Parker role but I felt Maguire looked too old to be playing him at that stage in Peter's life. Where Garfield really blows him away is in the suit/behind the mask. That's the Spider-Man I always wanted.. He's awesome.

On another subject...

I think I'm gonna have to change the channel every time an X-MEN commercial comes on. The scene where Magneto is lifting the stadium is clearly the big action climax, and it seems like they keep showing more and more of it, to the point I'm convinced they're just going to show the whole thing before the movie comes out. I DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

I find it funny that they keep showing the scene where Storm presumably dies by that Nimrod sentinel.

• Like 1

So am I the only one who thinks neither Garfield or McGuire were particularly great Peter Parkers? I actually like both guys, but I thought both had their weak points. I actually think the best possible Peter would be combination of their portrayals for something more balanced.

Brilliant.

That was nice. I remember talking about much of this years ago I think during SC's superhero movie poll.

Brilliant.

That was nice. I remember talking about much of this years ago I think during SC's superhero movie poll.

I wish I was a member of smarkschoice when it ran the superhero movie poll. Like to do something like that.

---

X-Men: Days of Future Past is getting great twitter reaction, particularly Quicksilver:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=99626

tumblr_n51buv4fKG1ql9g9jo1_r1_500.gif

The answer to the nagging question of "best choice for Spider-Man that wasn't Maguire or Garfield": Frankie Muniz.

Too bad he's more the size of Puck

Puck01.jpg

Peter Porker: Spider-Ham then?

• Like 1