DVDVR Message Board

Nov Animated GIF Thread

JustJay

Russian sambo practitioner/shoot fighter turned Pro Wrestler. He mostly wrestled for RINGS in the 90s. One of those select few dudes who was a legitimate shit kicker and also amazing to watch in the ring. You should look up some of his matches, they're a joy to watch.

Thanks dude I will.

Go the direct route and send TABE a PM here, he's the guy who made the comp that everyone else is selling and making money off of.

Yeah, I don't want to see a male beating up on a female in wrestling ever again for any reason.

If the whole domestic violence thing sits perfectly well with you, then you could always be offended by the fact that it's stupid and business exposing.

Clearly if you are okay with men and women pretending to fight each other in a staged sport, then you are pro-domestic violence.

(To be fair, though, that does have much more potential to be tasteless and offensive than not. At least in the hands of the WWE.)

At least that kid gave Omega some offense.  My 3-year-old daughter gives me none.  She's totally unsafe to work with and always books herself to go over.  

Which means Trips will sign her to development in the next six months.

• Like 1

I hear you. I just rewatched Supercop, and three guys ATTACKED Michelle Yeoh. Just straight up attacked her, like she was Jackie Chan. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Quit punching that lady and let her go hop a motorcycle onto a moving train with the rest of the chicks. 

If you're concerned with a well trained professional wrestler putting on an insanely well protected match with a little girl who has clearly already had some training, then I feel like you should be a lot more worked up anytime you see an older sibling or parent wrestle their kids. It's got to be 1000% more dangerous.

I'm absolutely fine with women wrestling men in pro wrestling, in the same way that I am fine watching Black Widow fight a room full of men in the Avengers movie. But to be fair, I don't care much for wrestling presented as legit sport. It's super hero fights that have referees for me.

I'm all for Sexy Star in Lucha Underground, and Candice LaRae is absolutely killing it in PWG right now. The crowd was chanting 'next world champ' after her first BOLA match and they fucking meant it. 

Actually, that match was pretty interesting: it took some work for the crowd to get beyond 'fighting a girl.' After the 'ooohs' of a superkick, Rich Swann actually stopped and was like 'she's a fucking wrestler. it's a wrestling match!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0YzTWjggdQ

To play devil's advocate against myself: The Guerrilla Warfare match was rough. to. watch.

Watching that psychology evolve is going to be interesting. The WWE Divas kick the living shit out of each other, but if a male wrestler stumbles into trained professional wrestler Natalya, the commentators sell it like HBK's wife getting punched in the face. 

Yeah, I don't want to see a male beating up on a female in wrestling ever again for any reason.

If the whole domestic violence thing sits perfectly well with you, then you could always be offended by the fact that it's stupid and business exposing.

Clearly if you are okay with men and women pretending to fight each other in a staged sport, then you are pro-domestic violence.

(To be fair, though, that does have much more potential to be tasteless and offensive than not. At least in the hands of the WWE.)

Oh, you're so right - the indies always bring the class to intergender matches.

For all intents and purposes, Chyna is a man.

Oh, and for the above poster who complained about exposing the business, 1989 called to say, "Really?"

We all know that wrestling is staged - I don't need blatant reminders of it all over the place. When a movie features wirework, they don't leave all the wires in and then wink at the camera to remind you that it's all just a movie.

As for your tasteless remark about Chyna, you obviously aren't the one to talk to about why man-on-woman violence in wrestling is an issue.

If you're concerned with a well trained professional wrestler putting on an insanely well protected match with a little girl who has clearly already had some training, then I feel like you should be a lot more worked up anytime you see an older sibling or parent wrestle their kids. It's got to be 1000% more dangerous.

I'm absolutely fine with women wrestling men in pro wrestling, in the same way that I am fine watching Black Widow fight a room full of men in the Avengers movie. But to be fair, I don't care much for wrestling presented as legit sport. It's super hero fights that have referees for me.

That's all well and good for you, I suppose - but the concept of wrestling being presented as a legitimate sport is fundamental in pro wrestling. It is, at its core, a worked sport. And I'm not "worked up" over the little girl being in legitimate danger - I just think the idea of a grown wrestler beating up a small child in the ring is off-putting and unnecessary, not to mention draws attention to the fact that what you're watching is a fake sport performed by fake wrestlers - as I mentioned above, I don't care to have that rubbed in my face. Suspension of disbelief is extremely important.

• Like 1

That's all well and good for you, I suppose - but the concept of wrestling being presented as a legitimate sport is fundamental in pro wrestling. It is, at its core, a worked sport. And I'm not "worked up" over the little girl being in legitimate danger - I just think the idea of a grown wrestler beating up a small child in the ring is off-putting and unnecessary, not to mention draws attention to the fact that what you're watching is a fake sport performed by fake wrestlers - as I mentioned above, I don't care to have that rubbed in my face. Suspension of disbelief is extremely important.

I get that. If WWE suddenly did a Chikara grenade spot I'd probably be pretty pissed...Or if Mizdow wrestled that little girl out of no where. Context of the companies matters...Omega has a feud with a sex doll in that promotion, so it's acceptably weird, I guess. The disbelief I'm suspending is different than a Luke Harper match. (I know you understand this, I'm just talking out loud, not explaining how fiction works to you) 

I was totally outraged by the idea of the match, and that turnbuckle spot still makes me sort of uncomfortable. But watching the match you see that A: Haruka is having the time of her life, and B: Kenny Omega genuinely cares for, and tries to protect Haruka at all costs, it's less terrible. It's not really that different than play wrestling with a younger sibling/cousin except you're not actually trying to hurt them

Kenny Omega is so super safe with her, it's a testament to him as a worker how he gets it all over on so little. I wouldn't be shocked if the turnbuckle run was all the kid and looked 10000 times worse than it was. 

So, is a man vs woman pro wrestling match different than a high school wrestling match between a boy and girl in the same weight class?

Since one is real sport, is it okay?

I mean, one is a sport with an entirely different bag of gender politics and one is a fictitious battle between good and evil based on the concept of wrestling where a world champion once lost his title because the fake son of Andre the Giant and a tall mummy double humped him until someone rang the bell.

• Like 1

So, is a man vs woman pro wrestling match different than a high school wrestling match between a boy and girl in the same weight class?

Since one is real sport, is it okay?

I mean, one is a sport with an entirely different bag of gender politics and one is a fictitious battle between good and evil based on the concept of wrestling where a world champion once lost his title because the fake son of Andre the Giant and a tall mummy double humped him until someone rang the bell.

Wait, you were at my high school for that tournament?

• Like 2

Oh, you're so right - the indies always bring the class to intergender matches.

I dunno, I can't really comment on that; I'm not a big indies guy. Most intergender matches I've seen have been from Japan, and all of them (that I can recall) were totally acceptable. "The indies" is a pretty broad category - I think you have to take it more on a case-by-case basis, and I'm sure there's some examples of it being done well and many of it being handled terribly and offensively.

But my point wasn't that man-on-woman violence in wrestling is never bad, or even that it's not usually bad. My point was that, depending how it's portrayed and in what context, it isn't always bad, and those who are okay with it are not necessarily social deviants who think it's awesome to beat-up women.

To be fair, I'm guessing that match happened in DDT, which often is based around wacky shit that is supposed to be fun; stuff that would be extremely business-exposing in most other promotions. Which is not to say you have to enjoy that style, but the context is important there. There are plenty of promotions that I agree could take themselves more seriously or be more concerned with suspension of disbelief. But DDT is totally not about that at all, nor should it be.

Now, I think we need some more GIFs of less divisive stuff... like fat dudes crushing people, or something.