DVDVR Message Board

OCT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Meanwhile, from before that, there was the Cena series, (still some of the best recent-era WWE main event matches IMO), the Bryan matches, Taker, Lesnar, and Rock's best matches since his return.

I think the fact that anyone is saying Punk-Lesnar is anywhere close to as good as Cena-Lesnar I (let alone better) is part of the reason Punk gets a lot of hate around here.

Leaving aside the fact that I wasn't saying that, (Oxford comma, people,) Punk gets a lot of hate because one match is over and/or underrated, or just disagreed on? You're not exactly presenting the Punk-haters in a particularly reasonable light.

Which Cena-Lesnar match is Cena-Lesnar 1?

I think comparing the CM Punk match with the Cena match at Extreme Rules 2012 and Summerslam 2014 is a bit unfair. The Cena matches are 15 minute "spectacles", qualitatively different from the usual WWE style match. Punk worked a more typical WWE main-event style match, and probably did a better job of that than HHH's Lesnar matches. It's apples and oranges.

I'd actually disagree that Punk-Lesnar was a "usual WWE-style match", if only because the story of the match (physically dominant heel cut short by clever-slash-sneaky tactics from a veteran pro wrestler in a no-DQ setting) was so unusual, but I think you have to give a good deal of credit there to Lesnar. Most of his matches (HHH aside) demand different stories because he's such an unusual character (in every sense of the word.)

• Like 1

I keep waiting for WWE to lose a lawsuit like this or the independent contractor one: http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/238233-104497-billy-jack-haynes-wrestles-wwe-into-federal-court

Here's a list of moves the lawsuit explicitly lists as leading to CTEs and concussions: 

• “Brain Buster” — a front facelock combined with a vertical suplex in which the victim lands headfirst;

• “Bulldog” — a wrestler grabs his opponent’s head and leaps forward, so that the victim’s face is driven into the ground;

• “Cobra Clutch Slam” — a wrestler places the opponent in a hold called the cobra clutch, lifts his opponent, and then jumps into the air, landing his opponent on the ground;

• “Facebreaker” — a knee to the face, including many variants involving throwing an opponent down onto one’s propped up knee, headfirst;

• “Jawbreaker” — a move in which the opponent’s jaw is slammed into the wrestler’s body, usually the knee or elbow; and,

• “Powerslam” — a move in which the performer falls face-first into his opponent.

How many of those moves that aren't already banned get reactively banned by WWE right now?

Honestly, since flat-back bumping itself causes CTEs, Haynes's lawyers could have just pointed that out and been done with it right there. 

Thought a powerslam was what Mark Henry uses as a finishing move. Eh.

Leaving aside the fact that I wasn't saying that, (Oxford comma, people,) Punk gets a lot of hate because one match is over and/or underrated, or just disagreed on? You're not exactly presenting the Punk-haters in a particularly reasonable light.

Well, I hate Punk. I never cared for him as a performer; never got the big deal. But for so many people on the internet to sit at the computers and act like Punk is the bestest best ever, is a crock of shit. A steamy, been cooking all day in the crock pot of shit.

He is not sympathetic at all. He is prolly the least athletic main eventer in recent memory. He has two promos: "Haha. You're stupid for watching this." or "Haha. I am better than you." His promos go on and on and on like that Erykah Badu song. His fucking facial hair choices. He was still not happy after all he was given, yada yada yada. Great now I am posting a CM Punk promo. But most of all, he has the most annoying fanbase ever.

In short, where I come from, no one likes a whiny, spoiled brat.

• Like 3

Oh, you know he literally meant "figuratively" when he said that. 

Well, for the refs sake, I hope it was figurative, since he removed a piece of whatever it was from the ring...

bmr9eIS.gif

but if it wasn't an actual shitting, I want to know why I remember a green slimey wet spot on the back of his trunks... or maybe it was on the mat somewhere. Either way I definitely remember a green wet spot somewhere.

Thought a powerslam was what Mark Henry uses as a finishing move. Eh.

Well, I hate Punk. I never cared for him as a performer; never got the big deal. But for so many people on the internet to sit at the computers and act like Punk is the bestest best ever, is a crock of shit. A steamy, been cooking all day in the crock pot of shit.

He is not sympathetic at all. He is prolly the least athletic main eventer in recent memory. He has two promos: "Haha. You're stupid for watching this." or "Haha. I am better than you." His promos go on and on and on like that Erykah Badu song. His fucking facial hair choices. He was still not happy after all he was given, yada yada yada. Great now I am posting a CM Punk promo. But most of all, he has the most annoying fanbase ever.

In short, where I come from, no one likes a whiny, spoiled brat.

This made me chuckle, because i am a child. 

Also, agreed. CM Punk fans are the kids you yell "you'll never understand me!" at their step-parents. Just the worst, most pretentious people on the planet. I have no respect for a guy who quits because he doesn't get his way. 

• Like 1

Well, for the refs sake, I hope it was figurative, since he removed a piece of whatever it was from the ring...

bmr9eIS.gif

but if it wasn't an actual shitting, I want to know why I remember a green slimey wet spot on the back of his trunks... or maybe it was on the mat somewhere. Either way I definitely remember a green wet spot somewhere.

If that's poop, I want to get Punk in touch with the woman who hosts that BBC show "You Are What You Eat," because that thing looks unhealthily flat. 

bmr9eIS.gif

We've all shat the ring at some point, brother.

• Like 1

I don't care if Punk ever come back...in fact I hope he doesn't as I'm envious he has the stones/means to say fuck you I'm leaving while Flair/Hogan and the ilk have to stick around.

That being said, he was was the prototype for indy wrestler getting over for WWE...a better promo than anyone they have on the active roster...and per meltzer, owner of many 4 star plus matches. Anyone who thinks otherwise comes across as the butthurt twits who sit on wreddit and get hyped about Mojo Rawley and the Ascension before someone tells them they are horrible.

• Like 1

Seriously, people need to get over with Punk moving on with his life.  It happens.  

The guy saved his cash, made his bank, and can enjoy his life which is more than a lot of retired wrestlers can say.

Is there room for an in between spot of "Punk is a really good performer, kind of a dick as a person" anywhere, or does it literally have to be a either or?

On The Interwebs it is either or and no room in between.

• Like 3

Also, agreed. CM Punk fans are the kids you yell "you'll never understand me!" at their step-parents. Just the worst, most pretentious people on the planet. I have no respect for a guy who quits because he doesn't get his way. 

We have no idea what was promised to him. We saw the WWE being forced into changes at the time by Daniel Bryan fans. You also have Vince McMahon who is infamous for changing his mind. It is possible it was justified before even taking into account the fact that he owes them nothing. He was an independent contractor after all.

Punk lost me when he shit up the wrestling ring against The Shield. Literally.

When was this? I'm intrigued enough to want to take a gander at Punk fecal-freakin' in the ring w/ the Shield boys.

It was an early December Smackdown match against Ambrose last year.  It wasn't for the faint for the faint of heart.

That being said, he was was the prototype for indy wrestler getting over for WWE...a better promo than anyone they have on the active roster...and per meltzer, owner of many 4 star plus matches. Anyone who thinks otherwise comes across as the butthurt twits who sit on wreddit and get hyped about Mojo Rawley and the Ascension before someone tells them they are horrible.

Other than spending time in "big" indy feds, why do people think Punk was an indy guy? He spent 8 years in the WWE, and the only thing indy about him was that he kept his name..