DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: August Thread... It's Getting Serious...

SirFozzie

Posted Image

I've been seeing a lot of people pulling for the Bucs on this board and other more sport-centric ones. At first I thought it was just baseball fans being happy that our 20 year unfathomable run of misery has finally subsided.

Now I've come to realize it's just that a whole lotta baseball fans hate the Cardinals.

For me, it's more because piranesi's descents into madness are always entertaining, so I'm more poking him with a stick to get that reaction than hating on the Cards. Them, I'm completely neutral on since LaRussa retired.

Posted Image

I've been seeing a lot of people pulling for the Bucs on this board and other more sport-centric ones. At first I thought it was just baseball fans being happy that our 20 year unfathomable run of misery has finally subsided.

Now I've come to realize it's just that a whole lotta baseball fans hate the Cardinals.

There is a bit of feel-good to the Pirate....  Oh who the fuck am I kidding, I blasphemed like 15 different religions on this board the last time those fuckers were in the WS.  Fuck them.

Posted Image

The Guardians are there to protect all of you.  Even the ones who don't deserve it.

I, too, hope the Pirates love catches fire.  Pirates/Cards will be the baseball version of Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H.

And we all know how that's going to work out.

"Hey, Shield Guys!..."

Posted Image

"...you know what to do."

Im a total Ichiro mark, so a great day for me.

His poor attitude and performance dropoff the last couple years in Seattle dropped Ichiro a bit in TT eyes but I'm still a big fan. I just think the 4000 hits thing is a fake milestone.

I don't like the Pirates, but I hate the Cardinals. I'm not pulling for either team though, as once again, much like I do for many lost Cubs seasons, I hope for the Braves or Indians to actually do something in the postseason. I like this Braves team much more than the ones from the previous two years. They're kicking ass in the regular season and they're built like a postseason contender. Regarding the Indians, I'm surprised they've hung on and are only a few games out of the Wild Card spot.

I'm really curious how the 4000 hits thing gets played in Hall of Fame voting. Like, in theory it's the baseball hall of fame. Not the MLB hall of fame. In practice if you're not an American who played in the Negro League that probably isn't true. I mean Ichiro will make the hall anyway, but I guarantee the "Japan is fake baseball" excuse is going to get played. I just want to see how widespread this sort of thinking is so I can expand my HoF hitlist.

Are the SF Giants the worst defending WS champs ever?

Nah, but they could join the illustrious "first to worst" club.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/will-giants-join-the-first-to-worst-club/

They might be the worst WS champ that didn't intentionally gut their team the following year.  The 1998 Marlins are the worst WS defending champs but they intentionally trashed their own team.

I'm really curious how the 4000 hits thing gets played in Hall of Fame voting. Like, in theory it's the baseball hall of fame. Not the MLB hall of fame. In practice if you're not an American who played in the Negro League that probably isn't true. I mean Ichiro will make the hall anyway, but I guarantee the "Japan is fake baseball" excuse is going to get played. I just want to see how widespread this sort of thinking is so I can expand my HoF hitlist.

Japan isn't fake baseball but let's not pretend it's the same thing as MLB.  Not even close.  It's a nice AAA, maybe AAAA, but it's not MLB. 

And, for the record, the full title of the HOF is the "National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum".  It's an American museum dedicated to American baseball.  It's not like the basketball (or hockey) HOFs that are worldwide things.

Its been played today already.Fortuneately, he will get 3000 next year and it will be moot.

I dunno about next year, he's 278 away.
FWIW, the Ichiro Hit Count twitter has forever projected his 3000th hit as 8/31/14.

I dunno what their methodology is, but that's an impossibility. Maybe they're equally weighting his entire career marks as opposed to his last three years. In fact, I'd be willing to put money on that being the case. He's not a .320-.330 hitter getting 650+ plate appearances anymore.

He has 2722 hits and has 117 this year. He's projected to end up around 150 meaning he needs 240+, so he'll need 2 more full seasons assuming he's healthy and doesn't retire.