DVDVR Message Board

The Documentary Thread

RIPPA

Guest The Magnificent 7

I watched The Rise and Fall of The Clash.

I thought it was great, because it barely covered the rise and mostly focused entirely on the fall. That kind of makes it unique amongst music band docs.  Bernie Rhodes comes out of it as poorly as possible, doc didn't pull many punches there.  Some good footage of some stuff I hadn't seen (huge fan of the band), especially with the post-Mick Jones "era" where they sucked.  Good interviews with the latter members, who you felt for in that situation.   

The story where Strummer flew to the island and bicycled around trying to find Mick Jones who had gone on vacation with the Big Audio Dynamite members in order to apologize to him and ask him to come back to the band was pretty sad. 

I recommend it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Drop whatever you are doing and watch An Honest Liar  right now! James Randi is one of my heroes in life  and this doc proves that anyone can be fooled for real. It is a history of debunkery,  an expose on how a truth-teller reacts when they have to face their own truth, and a love story all wrapped in one.  It rules.

Randi is great. but I don't think he's ever churned out anything as amazing as this. Essentially: BBC dude plants a fake story about a fake dead factory owner on google then invites three well-known mediums along to the old factory to see if they'll cheat. Spoiler: they do and it's the most cringeworthy TV moment ever.

"I can go into a semi-trance but not a full-trance."

• Like 1

I watched a documentary the BBC did on Amanda Knox's case.

It's an interesting case, but it's a mess. The idea there wasn't any evidence against her is ridiculous (her and boyfriend kept changing their stories and there is DNA evidence) but it's hardly rock solid, either. The cops are pretty shady. Also, they bring up stuff like "she didn't go to the memorial service and instead went for dinner"  to make her sound guilty, but just makes their case look bad.

It's pretty obvious the Guede guy is guilty as sin, but I don't know too many rape/murder attacks where the culprit decided to involve a couple of exchange students for the hell of it. The lack of a motive and the fact her or the boyfriend got no violent history is a bit baffling too (if you're violently crazy, it will show up in other areas of your life.)

Only serial season 2 can solve this one obviously.

On Sunday I watched the "Italian Americans" series on PBS and thought it was really good.  The stories about how Italian really ended up getting the stereotype of the mafia based on true stories before 1930 and how they are still fighting to escape it was fascinating.     

As expected, Life Itself completely destroyed me. I think I had tears in my eyes for nearly the whole thing. A great documentary that ended when it did for the saddest of reasons. Although on the flip side, seeing Ebert getting suctioned was rough. I'm happy he doesn't need to suffer anymore. And to think, what lead to his suffering was probably receiving radiation treatments for an ear infection he had as a kid. So fucked up.

I've watched a bunch of other ones too. It seems like there was a skateboarding documentary dump on Netflix. Waiting for Lightning was particularly mind blowing. I knew of Danny Way and knew the outcome of his stunt, but I had no idea of his upbringing or all of the trials and tribulations he's endured. It was especially sick to see, again, his wipe out at the X Games. That's one of those things I never wanted to see again because the first time I saw it, I thought he died. Anyway, the documentary made me completely forget about the outcome of his Great Wall of China stunt and I'm just sitting there thinking he's not going to make it or wondering if he can make it.

Bones Brigade was alright. There wasn't a whole lot of adversity the original six faced, but it was still interesting to see how they all came up, even if I've read about that subject in multiple places. It also made me feel like a complete wimp knowing that Steve Caballero is STILL competing unless he's recently retired, and the dude is like 49.

All This Mayhem was the motherfucker, though. It's a documentary about how Ben and Tas Pappas came up in the skateboarding world, making the trip to the US with nothing in their pockets, and their complete free-fall from grace with some very disturbing and sad outcomes.

Out of these, I highly recommend All This Mayhem and Waiting for Lightning.

Oh, and regarding Cash for Kids, yeah, fuck all of those monsters. Rage inducing indeed.

I just watched "Life, Itself". Man, what a wonderful movie. See, Siskel and Ebert hold a real special place in my heart. A place called Saturday. Saturday was when I got to see cartoons. Saturday was when I got to watch wrestling. Saturday was when I got to see Star Trek reruns and In Search Of. And at night, Saturday was staying up late to watch Monty Python and Saturday Night Live.  And Saturday was when Siskel and Ebert were on TV. Saturday was the best day.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrPjwNy96so

Good, but very, very disturbing documentary about the rape and murder of an Indian woman in 2012 and its national and international ramifications.

I think I lost count of the amount of times a guy would pop up on screen, say something terrible, and I'd say "Yeah, you are so going to Hell when you die."

Nah, at worst they're planning on being reincarnated as bugs.

• Like 1

Toronto's 2nd largest film festival, the documentary festival HotDocs, announced its lineup of over 200 movies yesterday.  If you feel like killing half an hour or so, the full lineup is here (in pdf).

Raiders! and the Kurt Cobain one are in there.  I'm only halfway through, but here are some others that caught my eye:

Doglegs

In a renegade Tokyo wrestling league, the disabled battle the able-bodied in the name of smashing stereotypes.  After 20 years of glory, a reigning champ dreams of life beyond the mat, but his mentor has other plans.

Chuck Norris Vs. Communism

In Communist Romania of the 1980s, ordinary citizens risked arrest and imprisonment to secure bootlegged copies of Hollywood blockbusters.  Hear the stories of these Stallone-loving, dictatorship-toppling movie fans.

Thought Crimes

Policeman Gil Valle secretly chatted online about kidnapping and eating women.  He never touched anyone, yet "The Cannibal Cop" now faces a life sentence.  This sensational court thriller begs a most prescient question: when does virtual fantasy become criminal?

Wait... wait... WAIT!

There is a Documentary ABOUT DOGLEGS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

World Premiere

Doglegs
D: Heath Cozens | Japan, USA | 90 min
In a renegade Tokyo wrestling league, the
disabled battle the able-bodied in the name of
smashing stereotypes. After 20 years of glory,
a reigning champ dreams of life bey

EDIT - Helps if I ready SKOS post most closely but my shock remains...

Yeah, I had very, very vague memories of Doglegs (the organization, not the movie) being mentioned on here years ago.

edit: The Nightmare sounds great too!  A documentary about sleep paralysis (which I have never personally experienced) billed as a "real-life documentary horror".

Ahhh...the good old days of Japanese sleaze wrestling in the mid-90s. I remember hearing about Doglegs but have never seen any of their stuff. The documentary could be a lot of fun.

Yeah, I read about the Cannibal Cop one.

It's a complicated case for sure. Fan fiction might be one thing. But I don't know...when you're actually doing google searches about the technicalities of doing that stuff...eh, I can see why he got arrested.

Also - I have heard about Thank You For Playing but I have a feeling I won't be able to watch it or it will destory me

Yeah I'm pretty sure I have a better chance of beating Brock Lesnar in a shoot than of getting through this movie without being an absolute wreck afterwards. 

After months and months of anticipation followed by a final one week delay and venue change, this past Saturday I finally got to see:

Red Army - Red Army tells the story of Soviet hockey greatness through the eyes of retired superstar Slava Fetisov. Fetisov had a remarkable career playing for Red Army before eventually being allowed to travel to North America to play in the NHL. He's now Minister of Sport for Russia. The movie features a number of great interviews from Soviet players and officials, including a former KGB guy. Fetisov generally comes off well here except at the very beginning where he's pretty rudely ignoring the director and flips him off. Overall, the movie tells its story well but... there's really now around the fact that much of the impact of Red Army has been blunted by ESPN's release of their 30 For 30: Of Miracles and Men, which covered a lot of the same ground, a few weeks ago. In fact, ESPN's piece is arguably the better movie, covering more ground (it goes back to the start of Soviet hockey, while Red Army starts in the late 70s) and in more detail. The two movies complement each other well and it's worth seeing both BUT, if you're going to see just one, see the ESPN film. Red Army also, for whatever reason, decided to make a confusing mess of the little montage they did of the Miracle on Ice. Clips are shown super-zoomed in, out of order and generally just in a very confusing fashion. Makes no sense. Gripes aside, this was very good anyway. 8/10.

p.s. For those that asked during the ESPN movie, Red Army DOES delve into the Fetisov/Kasatonov relationship in detail/depth.