DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Standoff thoughts.  No spoilers for the issue itself, but boxed in for the very sensitive:

Cap-related, more or less generic and relating to Steve's geriatricity:

So since they bloody announced it in the papers etc, I guess it's pretty obvious how Steve Rogers gets de-aged.  Kobik is going to "fix" him.

Cap-related (specifically the Sam Wilson series and the Whisperer plot):

Nick Spencer has now done two Ed Snowden/Wikileaks analogue stories with Cap in five years, the first being in Secret Avengers in 2011. The statute of limitations has not yet run out.  Also, I really don't like the reveal that it's Rick.

More MU related and general:

This HAS to be the point where Maria Hill goes rogue, right?  She's crossed so many lines in the last 15 years, but this time it really feels like they want her to go heel by the end of the arc.

I still want to know what happened to the Zemocarrier. A truly stealth helicarrier with a Wikileaks-sized database should have been something you build a story out of, not something you forget after a series ends or gloss over.

Spencer in general has had the holes in his game exposed way more than any other hyped creator of his generation. When fully in his element, he can do great stuff (Morning Glories, Secret Avengers mk. 1, THUNDER Agents) but a lot of his superhero stuff just reads...off. And not in a Warren Ellis "Fuck you I'm just doing my thing." way.

I dunno. It's hard to define, but I'm super wary of Spencer on flagships.

• Like 1

I found myself utterly unable to care about the "Steve is old now" storyline. Some of his writers still had him kicking people's asses anyway, despite now being an elderly man with zero superpowers, which is a nice way to make the whole thing feel completely meaningless.

And the comics industry nowadays is so bad with their This Will Change Things Forever (but it'll be completely forgotten within two years) retcons that, as soon as I heard about Rogers aging, my very first thought was "huh, how long will they stretch this out before taking it all back and making him young again?". It's especially galling with this specific character, considering that Cap's "death" somehow managed to blatantly rip off the details of BOTH Superman and Batman's fake death storylines.

It was really weird when the Captain America and Batman "death"/return storylines were running at nearly the exact same times, and telling really specifically similar plots, too close to one another that it could possibly have been anything other than coincidence.

I found myself utterly unable to care about the "Steve is old now" storyline. Some of his writers still had him kicking people's asses anyway, despite now being an elderly man with zero superpowers, which is a nice way to make the whole thing feel completely meaningless.

And the comics industry nowadays is so bad with their This Will Change Things Forever (but it'll be completely forgotten within two years) retcons that, as soon as I heard about Rogers aging, my very first thought was "huh, how long will they stretch this out before taking it all back and making him young again?". It's especially galling with this specific character, considering that Cap's "death" somehow managed to blatantly rip off the details of BOTH Superman and Batman's fake death storylines.

Marvel's pretty much taken an approach of "This will freshen things up for a while" instead, tempered with "If it sells or gets buzz, we'll stick with it longer". They're pretty self-aware about this sort of thing now. It's a trope. It's a tool. They use it as such. I'd think a reader would have to be pretty delusional to expect anything else at this point. It's not the destination that matters so much as the journey and how many good and fun stories they can get out of what everyone knows is a temporary status quo change. 

With double shipping, even something that lasts a year or two can have a big footprint and cover a lot of ground.

• Like 1

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is a joy to read.  Sadly, Unlimited doesn't have any issues past the first eight before the All-New reboot, so I'll either have to hoof it to my local shop and see if he's got any of the back issues squirreled (HA) away somewhere or wait a month or two for them to post more.

Finished reading everything DP up through the Way run, including Remender's Uncanny X-Force, which was pretty great.

Took a break from that to read Annihilation, but now I'm back in X, reading 2008 Cable. What can I say, I grew up on the cartoon with Cable and Bishop and time-travel, I guess I'm a sucker for it. Must like it too, just read twelve issues straight.

I thought it was basically the same as the Green Goblin.

Oz makes its users virtually unkillable/will resurrect them from most physical injuries.

That's what Green Goblin said...... right before he got killed. So that kinda went out the window right away.

Just read a bunch of Miles Morales books up until the start of Secret Wars, and realized we're never gonna get answers about how Ultimate Peter Parker came back. Damnit.

I didn't know Ultimate Peter Parker returned. I gave a very positive review here to Ultimate Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man ages ago.