DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Comics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

1 hour ago, steve said:

Yeah, the Liss one was the one I was talking about.

I'd forgotten about the current one, I've kinda gone off current stuff for budgetary reasons.

I shouldn't have assumed he was even asking me, lol.

It's okay. I should have taken the time to elaborate to avoid that sort of thing.

And Hell's Kitchen Panther was WAY better than I expected going in.

A reference I didn't get at the time was T'Challa calling himself Mr. Okonkwo, after the main char in THINGS FALL APART by Chinua Achebe (who was himself the namesake of one of T'Challa's greatest enemies in the Priest era).  

I read it finally last night. Even with it being set up I thought it was pretty good. Coates seems to be taking the disasters Wakanda has faced the last few years in the MU and is bringing things to a somewhat natural direction with how much a people can really take with the failure of a system.

On 3/2/2016 at 10:49 PM, twiztor said:

so apparently MiracleMan: the Silver Age #1 was pushed back to April. wish i'd known that before i went to my local comic shop today.

so apparently MiracleMan: The Silver Age #1 didn't come out this week, either. wish Marvel.com would update their webpage. as of today, 4/7, it still shows that it came out this week. but since my LCS didn't have any,, there's no copies on eBay, and there's nothing online (legally or otherwise), i'd say that's incorrect. how hard can it be to re-release a comic that was published like 25 years ago?

yeah, i read that too. i was under the impression that's why it was delayed from March until April.
my bigger problem is that i don't know when to expect it. Marvel.com shows that it's already available. being a reprint title (right now) this isn't a series that gets a lot of press or discussion, and i would like to keep picking it up, but they're making it increasingly difficult.

Beyond Al Ewing's stuff and Ant-Man, I've been having a really hard time sticking with any ANAD books.  I liked Hercules a lot, but then I missed issue #3 because I was broke and then #4 came out and now I'm waiting for Unlimited.

Meanwhile I'm staring at Moon Knight.  I love a lot of Lemire's work. I love Mark Spector.  But Lemire is hit-or-miss enough, and SO many authors have said "Fuck it, now for something completely different" for MK that I'm reluctant to invest.

moon knight was very crazy. 

i would again recommend Illuminati and Vision. Vision is halfway over, so waiting might be prudent.

panther 1 was also good.

but i wonder about marvels $5 for #1 policy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Marvel released another tpb collection of Christopher Priest's Black Panther run this month.  First 50 issues are now collected in three volumes.  I'm rereading the book for the first time in 10+ years.  It's even better than I remembered.  Definitely one of my favorite mainstream superhero runs of the 80's and 90's.  Definitely underappreciated, imo.

There's actually one more tpb to come, but that's the Kasper Cole stuff (last year of Priest's run + 7 issues of The Crew spinoff).  I think I may be happier pretending that never happened.

Spoiler

For those unaware, the end of Priest's run saw T'Challa give up the Black Panther identity.   The new Black Panther was a bi-racial NYC cop who was drawn like a white European (he was supposed to be very light-skinned).  This wasn't Priest's idea.  It was a mandate from Marvel editorial to try to boost sales.  I assume they thought a white main character would sell the book better but couldn't justify outright making the Black Panther a WASP.  The scripts were ok, but this was a terrible idea)

I wish The Crew had gotten more of a chance.  I liked all the characters a lot and the plot seemed to be going somewhere interesting.  Too bad it landed like a brick.  (Not sure if they're online anymore or not, but Priest's postmortem on his blog was utterly fascinating.  As with so much of his writing about his time in the industry, it tends to paint him as smarter than anyone else in the room but hobbled by his unpleasant personality and crazy expectations).

I think the idea in YA v1 was that Iron Lad had sought out Patriot because Josiah had gone missing sometime after The Crew ended.  Also, Junta was part of one of the makeshift Defenders teams in Joe Casey's 2008 miniseries (along with Atlas; I think Krang was the one out of that group who made it into the final roster for the series that never happened).  Other than that, though, it's pretty much been swept under the rug.

Invincible Iron Man Vol. 1. This is the Bendis run that started last year. Its surprisingly solid. Bendis is able to play to his strengths focused on a small cast. I like his Tony, and so far he has done ok using Doom. The art is nice and I like the current adaptable suit. It feels like a natural conclusion of Tony's armors. I'm indifferent towards his MJ so far. Will have to read more to get a better idea of her. A nice read all around. I'm curious to see where Bendis goes with it.

So did anyone read all of Standoff? I'm curious how it was on the whole.

Hellcat and Mockingbird are way, way better than Squirrel Girl for comics trying to do something similar. In fact, I thought her guest appearance in All New Wolverine this week was probably the best use of her in a very long time.

Spencer really botched the Standoff finale. Tone that goes all over the place, some stuff not set up well enough. The event was fine in general, but the finale was a mess.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

That is a shame to hear as the first issue or two sounded pretty interesting. How was the new Quasar?

I think the problem was that we weren't given enough reason to pay attention to her earlier. She could have been any other disposable SHIELD agent. We know absolutely nothing about her. There's no hook presented in Standoff itself.

There wasn't a whole lot of hook to Standoff in the first place. A big Avengers crossover deserves better. Then again, there doesn't have to be a half-dozen Avengers books in the first place. 

With Captain America: Civil War’s film release this Friday in the USA and Civil War II in the comics this month, I thought I’d repost my reviews about the Civil War books I read a few years after the event.

Civil War. Due to a botched attempt by the New Warriors trying to apprehend some villains for TV ratings results in hundreds of deaths, there is a public backlash against superheroes. In response to this a superhero registration act is passed which requires superheroes to register with the Government and if they don’t, they will be arrested. Opinion is divided in the superhero community between those pro superhero registration act and those against it. This concept and the art were the best things about the book. What was the reaction to Civil War when it came out and years later? I read it a while after the release.

Civil War: Iron Man. This book collects Iron Man/Captain America: Casualties of War, Iron Man #13-14 and Civil War: The Confession. Civil War involves a Superhero Registration Act requiring heroes to register with the authorities, if they don’t they’ll be arrested. There are those for and against the Superhero Registration Act in the superhero community. Iron Man supports the Act and this book expands on his role during (Iron Man/Captain America: Casualties of War, Iron Man #13-14) and after Civil War (Civil War: The Confession).  Captain America is against the Act. This book mostly looks at the long relationship between the two and it’s very good. The best story was Civil War: The Confession written by Brian Michael Bendis.

Civil War: Captain America. This book collects Captain America #22-24 and Winter Solider: Winter Kills. Captain America #22-24 is about Captain America’s opposition to the Superhero Registration Act in Civil War and what that means for those around him, especially Sharon Carter. In Winter Soldier: Winter Kills, Winter Solider has his first Christmas Eve since his revival thinking back to past events and what’s happening today.  Winter Solider is an interesting comic book character because of who he fought against, the acts he committed when he had no free will, eventually learning what he did, having to live with his actions and trying to make amends for them. A great book more so for Winter Soldier: Winter Kills.