DVDVR Message Board

2014 NCAAF: Week 1

Dolfan in NYC

The season starts Wednesday!   Abilene Christian vs Georgia State!  

Um...  Well, the season starts for real on Thursday!  #21 TAMU @ #9 So Carolina 

Oh, and the U has named true freshman Brad Kaaya as their starting Man Who Hands The Ball To Duke Johnson quarterback 

Rankingz~!

1. Soon-To-Be Offensive Mascot (57)

2. Soon-To-Be NCAA Investigation (1)

3. Soon-To-Be Nike Product Placement Write-Off (1)

4. Sooner-To-Be Example of Chuck Strong's "Texas Turnaround"(1)

5. Soon-To-Be Not Ranked Here, But Still Beat Michigan

You must have missed the Sam Houston State-Eastern Washington game this past Saturday. It's possible your television refused to display the horrific red turf at EWU.

UT at North Texas, our "easy" non-conference game, against a team that made a bowl last season. We have the QB and RB depth of a 6-man team from West Texas, and our #1 game-changer skill guy and our starting RT are suspended.

Didn't the Seminole tribe specifically say they support the name?

I know the Saginaw Chippewa tribe did for Central Michigan.

The Seminole Tribe of Florida definitely supports FSU on this... the other Seminole tribes, less so. That said, the Seminole Nation General Council voted not to oppose FSU or any other school who wanted to appropriate their name.

And then there's the Eastern Michigan Hurons, who changed their nickname to "Eagles" without actually consulting the Huron tribe, who apparently liked the nickname.

At any rate, I definitely get the whole "not your mascot" movement, but I do think there are levels. 

Seminoles/Chippewas/etc being specific references to actual tribes, Chiefs/Braves/etc being obviously more offensive and stereotypical, and then there's that name in the Capitol that is an actual racial slur.

Well, my alma mater (Bradley) was one of those schools with an Indian mascot so I've always been attuned to that kind of sensitivity.

BradELee.jpg

Hi gais! Wat's goin on in dis thred?

...yeah.

That said, the way the school dealt with the mascot controversy was really ham-fisted. We'd already gotten rid of ole Brad E Lee above by the time I got there, but we were then accosted by an Indian rights activist by the name of Michael Haney (who may or may not have been a Seminole- there was a ton of confusion there) who literally threatened to have our band and cheerleaders arrested for inciting riots if we kept up with any of the other native American aspects, such as doing the tomahawk chop or playing old-timey Indian music from the old westerns. And they bent over backwards to appease this knucklehead.

At any rate, I definitely get the whole "not your mascot" movement, but I do think there are levels. 

Seminoles/Chippewas/etc being specific references to actual tribes, Chiefs/Braves/etc being obviously more offensive and stereotypical, and then there's that name in the Capitol that is an actual racial slur.

Frankly I am surprised that KC doesn't get more heat. In terms of mascot, Chiefs aren't as bad as the racial slurs(hey that starts with an RS too), but still use the tomahawk chop, and other imagery with the best of them. . . .

Frankly I am surprised that KC doesn't get more heat. In terms of mascot, Chiefs aren't as bad as the racial slurs(hey that starts with an RS too), but still use the tomahawk chop, and other imagery with the best of them. . . .

Out side of the chop and arrowhead there isn't any other imagery. the mascot is a wolf.

Out side of the chop and arrowhead there isn't any other imagery. the mascot is a wolf.

Oh, I thought they still had a native guy on a horse. . . my bad.

Oh, I thought they still had a native guy on a horse. . . my bad.

They actually still have the horse- only one of the cheerleaders rides him out now.

DAMMIT GUYS. This is GAME WEEK. THE GREATEST SPORT ON EARTH is back.

We should be talking about who's making the playoffs or winning the Heisman (it won't be Jameis!) or shit like that, not whatever the fuck this is. This is some offseason, ain't got nothin else to talk about type shit. GAME WEEK.

I'm having trouble filling in my bracket. Obviously, Florida State is in (ACC is trash this year), and the SEC champ will get in. But who else?

My top 2 B1G teams after the fall of Ohio State are Michigan State and Wisconsin, but they both have huge early sesaon OOC showdowns (@Oregon and vs. LSU, neutral, respectively) where losses (both are likely losses) could put them behind the eight-ball in that one conference loss could effectively eliminate them from playoff contention.

Elsewhere, the Pac-12's three top teams (Oregon, UCLA, and Stanford) all play each other during the regular season, and then UCLA and one of the other two might have to play each other again in the conference championship. They could cannibalize each other.

If Oklahoma is what everyone thinks they'll be based on the Sugar Bowl, they should walk over a down Big 12, but if they revert back to what they were mid-2013, then...Baylor, I guess. Though there's no way Baylor matches what were *by far* Briles Era bests in offensive/defensive ppg this season.

And you know what team everyone - and I mean everyone - is sleeping on? Florida. Everybody has been hard at work shoveling dirt on their grave since before last season was even over, but they were ridiculously snake-bitten with injuries last season. Barring another horrific streak of injuries, I expect them to be back closer to what they were in 2012 when they went to the Sugar Bowl.

For now, I'm gonna say...

Florida State

Oklahoma

Auburn (SEC champ)

Florida

Of course, there will be a lot of opposition to having two teams from the same conference in the playoff, but if the Pac-12 kills itself and the best B1G teams get picked off OOC, then who else is out there? You gonna put the AAC champ in there LOL? And if Florida knocks off FSU at the end of the year, which I guess is what I'm calling for this scenario to play out, how're you gonna keep them out?

Yeah, Florida had a ton of injuries last year (so did Georgia, and they didn't fall like Florida) and their defense still finished 2nd/3rd in the SEC in team ranks.  If they stay relatively healthy, then they will probably finish 1st in defensive because they are that talented.  But 2nd/3rd shouldn't force them to fall as far as they did.  The onus is on Driskel to make the offensive respectable enough, so they can compete at the top level of the SEC.  They have to win 2 of their big 4 games if they are going to come back and win the east:  Georgia, South Carolina, Bama, and LSU.  I don't trust that Driskel can do that.

Besides that, I don't think the committee will pick 2 teams from the same conference in the first year.  1 of the power 5 conferences is already going to be the odd-man out and I think there will be too much pressure on them this season to not leave 2 of them in the cold.  In future years it will happen, but not this year.

My top 2 B1G teams after the fall of Ohio State are Michigan State and Wisconsin, but they both have huge early sesaon OOC showdowns (@Oregon and vs. LSU, neutral, respectively) where losses (both are likely losses) could put them behind the eight-ball in that one conference loss could effectively eliminate them from playoff contention.

Ugh.  Goddamn do I hate the Big 10+.  Michigan State and Wisconsin ALWAYS drop a game they shouldn't - and I don't think Wisconsin really has a shot at Oregon.  Ohio State has pretty easy sledding up until the Michigan State game, so while I and the rest of America wants to see them on fire, I think people are overestimating the Braxton Miller loss.  I can see Ohio State in the hunt up until Michigan State. And who knows with Michigan - Fowler?  I don't think anyone has any faith in Hoke, but their schedule really isn't tough after going to Notre Dame in Week 2.  So, theoretically, you could see any of those 4 teams in the hunt for the title game with 1 loss (or less).

Yeah, Florida had a ton of injuries last year (so did Georgia, and they didn't fall like Florida) and their defense still finished 2nd/3rd in the SEC in team ranks.  If they stay relatively healthy, then they will probably finish 1st in defensive because they are that talented.  But 2nd/3rd shouldn't force them to fall as far as they did.  The onus is on Driskel to make the offensive respectable enough, so they can compete at the top level of the SEC.  They have to win 2 of their big 4 games if they are going to come back and win the east:  Georgia, South Carolina, Bama, and LSU.  I don't trust that Driskel can do that.

Besides that, I don't think the committee will pick 2 teams from the same conference in the first year.  1 of the power 5 conferences is already going to be the odd-man out and I think there will be too much pressure on them this season to not leave 2 of them in the cold.  In future years it will happen, but not this year.

Agreed.  No way they leave a Big10+ team out of the mix - rightly or wrongly.  They just are not going to leave out a team from the Midwest in the first year - especially with the arm bending the NCAA had to do with the Big 10+ schools to even get this playoff.  Maybe if Notre Dame was not a dumpster fire, they could skip the Big10+.  But that's not happening.

So I think it's probably SEC winner, Big10+ winner, Pac10+ winner and whoever is less sucky from ACC/Big East/whatever the fuck the conferences are called now.

And who knows with Michigan - Fowler?  I don't think anyone has any faith in Hoke, but their schedule really isn't tough after going to Notre Dame in Week 2.  So, theoretically, you could see any of those 4 teams in the hunt for the title game with 1 loss (or less).

All I really need to know about Michigan is that they have a young offensive line, and their new OC only knows one pass play: three verticals.