DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Rebirth reviews:

Super Sons #8 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy are transported to a different dimension. Part 3 of Planet of the Capes and maybe the best issue from it or the last one. The interactions between the sons of Batman and Superman makes this ongoing series. Very funny dialogue.

Super Sons #9 by Peter J. Tomasi. Robin and Superboy have to talk to their version of Karklow to helping them like Big Shot and Hard Line do. A good issue, I like the new characters of Hard Line and Big Shot. The art changes from regular artist Jorge Jiminez and Carmine de Giandomenico weren’t a distraction as some can be.

Super Sons #10 by Peter J. Tomasi. The Super Sons, Robin and Superboy get their own headquarters from their fathers. So much to love about this issue: Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent appearing, the interactions between all four, Batman #666 showing up, the HQ dubbed the Fortress of Attitude by Jon and a tribute to Adam West/Christopher Reeve. I read the issue twice such was my enjoyment. Super Sons is a great series with frequent laugh out loud moments. The book on my pull list I anticipate the most.

Is @Brian Fowler reading Shade, the Changing Girl?  He'd love the first 6 issue arc at least. Probably be less high on the second.

Also, Doomsday Clock is just about as bad as one would expect it to be. It's full of follow-up storytelling that no one ever wanted to see, that takes a lot of the glorious mystery out of the end of Watchmen, that soaks it in a heaping of the current day in the most heavyhanded, clunky, superficial way possible and then puts it side by side with a miserable Johns-esque 3-4 pages of Superman. 

No one is better at chipping away at what makes DC Comics and its characters great than post 02 Geoff Johns. He just keeps hammering away at all of the cracks and is left stuck playing with the rubble left behind.

Doomsday Clock...

I mean here's the snag for me. Off the bat, it's clear this isn't really a twelve issue story. Moore built the original so perfectly because it revolved around a murder mystery that gave an in to the characters.

There's no hook here.

Like stuff happens and world building but there's no hook. Nothing to care about. So it meanders. And I wouldn't say it's bad, but if you're going to play in Watchmen's sand box you better bring something more to the table.

My complaint was I don't really care about Watchmen stuff.  I'll probably be more into it when it starts focusing on DCU proper.

Definitely wasn't outstanding.  Still, I like Johns a lot and I thought the last two books i read from him - Justice League  and the Rebirth one-shot - were brilliant.  I'll probably trade-wait this only because of the price.  DC #1 was the first proper comic book I've bought since the Rebirth one-shot.  I trade-wait everything these days.

Rebirth reviews:

I’ve read recent Batman books for years by Batman Legends renamed Batman to Batman: Rebirth, a UK book which reprints them and the library. I believe the book isn’t selling like it was moving from a monthly to every two months since launching as Batman: Rebirth. This is my first experience of this change in schedule, not good to what it was, a monthly. The book is only up to Batman #7 and Detective Comics #940. My Rebirth reading from Batman has come from this and picking up issues taking my fancy to read in real time.

Batman (Vol. 3) #1-6. “I Am Gotham”. There are two new arrivals in Gotham City, Gotham and Gotham Girl wanting to learn from Batman. On reflection I liked this, I didn’t feel that after finishing it. Bats’ open to helping newcomers instead of distrusting, the banter between Bruce/Alfred and the fate of Gotham/Gotham Girl. The first half isn’t as good and I didn’t like the reference to that moving scene in All-Star Superman. Have to say this is one of the weakest I’ve read by Tom King.

Detective Comics: Rise of the Batmen in Detective Comics #934-940 by James Tynion IV. Batman and Batwoman put a team together as something has eyes on all vigilantes. The team: Red Robin, Spoiler, Orphan and Clayface. This direction surprised people when it was announced.

I liked the team, the flashbacks to Jacob Kane/Kate Kane and Bruce Wayne/Kate Kane. Batwoman’s treat better here since JH Williams III/W. Haden Blackman’s run came to an unfortunate end with DC’s editorial interference. Very good use of the League of Shadows and what that entails here. I wasn’t sure about a member of Batwoman’s family going rogue, it’s growing on me. Red Robin gets a heroic moment, his name is right but the costume needs more red to fit it like his red/black outfit as Robin or when he originally took on the Red Robin identity. Least it’s an improvement over his wretched New 52 look. I preferred this to Batman’s own book.

Well after almost 10 years of not buying anything from DC that wasn't old stuff or from Vertigo I broke down and bought Doomsday Clock #1 yesterday.

Decent read. Nice art. Rather it not be connected to the proper DC universe. But so far it is better than anything else I have read from Johns.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2017 at 6:43 PM, Matt D said:

It's very weird to me that we're in 2017, Billy Corgan is in charge of the viral NWA and Gerard Way is in charge of the Vertigo-style DC characters. 

Don't forget Seth Macfarlane somehow keeping Star Trek alive. 

Read Doomsday Clock. It was well done and set up a few mysteries. It was a very logical follow up to Watchmen #12. But it had this hateful mean air to it I really don't want in a mainstream comic. Unless it is really well done. To me the main event was Dr.Manhattan in the DC Universe not Superman slumming it on Watchmen world. 

Rebirth reviews:

Batman/Flash: The Button Deluxe Edition collects Batman #21-22 and the Flash #21-22. The Reverse-Flash takes possession of the button and something happens to him. Batman and the Flash enter time to see where he went. This was a great book, the highlight was Bruce Wayne/Batman and Dr. Thomas Wayne’s Batman from Flashpoint interacting with one another, a poignant reunion. One of Bats biggest moments. Thanks to my Sister getting this for me a few days before Doomsday Clock #1 struck a few days later.

• Like 1

Rebirth reviews:

The DC Comics Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Characters Of The DC Universe. The book has a Foreword by Geoff Jones the Chief Creative Officer, DC Entertainment and an Introduction about the book. There’s a DC Timeline with milestone events like the debut of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman, Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Flashpoint producing the New 52 and Rebirth. The chart is useful.

Each entry gets a data section with information: debut, current version, real name, powers/abilities etc. The big deals also get At a Glance summing up things essential to the character, Classic Stories and One the Record talks about their history before the Flashpoint event. OTR stands out because the biography of the characters/group is about the current version so Flashpoint reboot. Your opinion on this will depend on Flashpoint and the New 52 era. I rate this more than Marvel Encyclopedia, it’s informative and right up to date covering the DC Universe Rebirth relaunch as this came out the same year it started, May 2016.

The book dropped the ball putting Dr. Simon Hurt in the one paragraph Roll Call section, he merited inclusion in the main book itself in a proper entry. Same for Joe Chill and Leviathan Organization. Spyral’s omission altogether is a mistake too ditto Tim Drake.

That reminds me I finished I am Bane last weekend. Little iffy on the ending of the fight between Bane and Batman, but otherwise I dug it a good deal. Bane felt dangerous and it was nice seeing his old crew again along with a few lesser used villains. The epilogue with Bruce and Selina was nice as well.

Picked up Dark Knight: Master Race hc tonight.  Going to start into it tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it a lot.  Most of what I've heard about it has been very positive.  

It helps that I regard it more as an Azz/Kubert book.  I admire Miller and think he's enormously talented, but even his best stuff has never been fun reads for me.  I admire DK more than I enjoy it, if that makes sense.  Probably my two favorite Miller projects are his original Daredevil run and All-Star Batman and Robin (which is mostly ridiculous).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Picked up Dark Knight: Master Race hc tonight.  Going to start into it tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it a lot.  Most of what I've heard about it has been very positive.  

It helps that I regard it more as an Azz/Kubert book.  I admire Miller and think he's enormously talented, but even his best stuff has never been fun reads for me.  I admire DK more than I enjoy it, if that makes sense.  Probably my two favorite Miller projects are his original Daredevil run and All-Star Batman and Robin (which is mostly ridiculous).

Mine be Batman: Year One and Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

If you want more Miller/Azzarello, get Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade as well.

• Thanks 1