DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

• 3 weeks later...

Batman: Heart of Hush collects Detective Comics #846-850. Hush knows the true identity of Batman and wants his revenge dating back to when they were kids. I asked for this book for Christmas 2015 as it’s written by Paul Dini, a key contributor to the excellent Batman: The Animated Series and drawn by a favourite artist, Dustin Nguyen. I really liked this story for them, the flashbacks to Bruce Wayne/Tommy Elliot as kids, Tommy’s difficult relationship with his parents and the ending.

Batman: Arkham City collects Batman: Arkham City #1-5 and online as Batman: Arkham City Digital Chapters written by Paul Dini who is rightly loved for Batman: The Animated Series. Batman: Arkham City #1-5 starts at the end of Batman: Arkham Asylum (videogame) leading up to Batman: Arkham City (videogame) release.

Batman: Arkham City #1-5 shows the reason for Arkham City’s creation, a walled section of Gotham turned into a prison and how the characters end up where they do. The latter extends to Batman: Arkham City Digital Chapters made up of five eight page chapters on Hugo Strange, an ex-con trying to avoid imprisonment in Arkham City, The Riddler, Robin (Tim Drake) and Bane. This was a really good book for those who have and haven’t played the Arkham games.

Metal has been real good, I think. The main title is still sort of in the picking up steam phase and I don't know how it reads without a pretty comprehensive knowledge of the last decade of Snyder and Morrison DC work behind it, but as I have that I'm having a ball. Tie-ins have been shockingly good too. The Evil Batman ones are mostly just your usual twisted origin fare (though the GL one this week added an interesting twist to the GL mythos) but the Gotham Resistance ones really landed for me. It's kind of like if Final Crisis had actually hide linewide support.

Relatedly, Grant Morrison will now be co-writing spinoff title Sideways. And The Terrifics will include Tom Strong and his family, bringing them into the DCU.

EDIT: Also!

Milestone Comics coming back as a micro-imprint ala Wildstorm right now. Main title Milestone by Reginald Hudlin and Denys Cowan, Static Shock by Kyle Baker, one or two more titles later. Coming next Spring.

Vertigo relaunching on 8/8/18. Targeted relaunch including at least one big name creator returning.

I'm hoping we can get some classic Milestone collections out of it. Icon and Static at the least.

3 more launch titles announced:

Duo with a plot by Hudlin/Cowan and scripts by Greg Pak, covers by Jim Lee. No artist announced yet.

Earth-M by Hudlin/Alice Randall with art by Cowan/Sienkiewicz.

Love Army by Hudlin/Ryan Benjamin

So yeah, very much looking like Hudlin is to this what Gerard Way is to Young Animal/Warren Ellis is to Wildstorm.

I'll get there. I'm working on Action/Superman now. The Jurgens stuff is a nostalgia hit, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's great or anything. While King's Batman hasn't been top notch or anything, I did strongly enough the proposal and acceptance issues. 

I tend to like the tonal difference of the Rebirth universe. For instance, Captain Carrot is sacrificed early in the Superman-Multiverse storyline and that'd be the end of it five years ago, except for that it'd be far more gruesome and brutal (five years before that it'd be both weirdly nostalgic AND brutal). Here, though, he gets to come back and be triumphant towards the end. It's a definite difference, especially out of Tomasi who was one of the bloodiest writers they had.