DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I really need to start reading the pre-new 52 stories again. I up to R.I.P. at the moment. I've been reading in some semblance of order so I'm still a bit away from Black Mirror and Gates of Gotham.

So you're reading Grant Morrison's Batman run, what do you think about the run so far?

I've generally enjoyed it so far, maybe even more than I thought I would.

• Like 1

The problem, for me, with the Morrison run is that it was not only nearly perfect" but it felt complete. Like, I don't need to ever read another Batman story again.

Its the best comic book run I've read in its complete form. I'd say two of the best comic runs if you wanted to split Batman and Robin which is the highlight of the whole thing. LOVE Batman and Robin #1-16.

The problem, for me, with the Morrison run is that it was not only nearly perfect" but it felt complete. Like, I don't need to ever read another Batman story again.

I feel that, though the New 52 half of Inc. kind of popped that bubble. It's somehow a terrible and perfect finish and I still can't wrap my head around how it can be both. But after building up thw unbeatable Bat-God, Morrison brings him down again which dovetails into what Snyder has done with him nicely.

I'm mostly into the way it carries this running theme of fears and limitations. Where Morrison's run is defined by Batman overcoming everything, Snyder's is all about the idea that as a man he has limits, challenging him to find new ways to go beyond them. The Court of Owls is bigger and older. The Riddler and Endgame turn his city against him. And Joker is the one who can slip through the cracks and bring him to his weakest forcing him to keep becoming better to survive.

It's got layers along a theme with a lot of the same strengths as Morrison's run, just focused more on his humanity than iconography.

It's good, and I get what you're saying.

But, for me, other than the last part getting mildly fucked by the New 52 relaunch (Christ I wish they had just let him keep Batman Inc fully in the old universe.  It's obvious he wanted nothing to do with that new set of changes) causing characters to change and/or vanish mid-run, Morrison's run was perfection, and sad everything I need to read about Batman.

I like Snyder.  A lot.  But he's not Morrison's league.

• Like 1

I remember rumors about that last year on BC. Azzarello is co-writing it so it might not turn out so bad.

Batman: R.I.P. I put off way too much time between reading this and the book that proceeded it so things felt a bit off for me at times. That said, I still enjoyed itthough this felt like it was pushing the limits of Batman as the ultimate planner. Actually reading this really made me think back to other Batbooks I've read over the last five years or so and realize that this particular idea of Batman really seems to have been something created by Morrison. All the stuff from the 90's to right before his run really do push Bruce as more reactionary. I'm curious now what made Morrison go in this direction.

Thinking I will read Heart of Hush next before continuing on to Batman& Robin. I am curious though on what peoples' thoughts are of the following: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Battle for the Cowl, & Long Shadows.

I remember rumors about that last year on BC. Azzarello is co-writing it so it might not turn out so bad.

Batman: R.I.P. I put off way too much time between reading this and the book that proceeded it so things felt a bit off for me at times. That said, I still enjoyed itthough this felt like it was pushing the limits of Batman as the ultimate planner. Actually reading this really made me think back to other Batbooks I've read over the last five years or so and realize that this particular idea of Batman really seems to have been something created by Morrison. All the stuff from the 90's to right before his run really do push Bruce as more reactionary. I'm curious now what made Morrison go in this direction.

Thinking I will read Heart of Hush next before continuing on to Batman& Robin. I am curious though on what peoples' thoughts are of the following: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Battle for the Cowl, & Long Shadows.

Heart of Hush is Dini/Nguyen so it's great. Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader rules. The other two are fun, dumb action stuff. Long Shadows has the good Winnick show up though.

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? is Gaiman/Kubert, so, yeah, if you haven't read it, you should.  It's very good.

I'm kinda looking forward to DK3, moreseo since it sounds like Miller isn't drawing it and Azzarello appears to be involved in the writing.  DK Returns wasn't particularly good, and I've generally found Miller's output since Daredevil to be well done, rather than entertaining.  But.... I kinda enjoyed All-Star Batman.  It's a ridiculous car crash, but it's enjoyable in a turn-off-your-brain way.  Either Miller is minimally involved and his name is on the book to sell a lot of copies - or he really is writing Master Race and it will be absurd mess every bit as incoherent and offensive as the title suggests.

I am curious though on what peoples' thoughts are of the following: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Battle for the Cowl, & Long Shadows.

Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader is only 2 issues from Neil Gaiman, and i absolutely adore it.  as far as i'm concerned, the "old" DC universe ended with Batman Inc. followed by this.

Battle For the Cowl was decent. i enjoyed it. it felt more of a "we have to put this out to get to the next setup" more than an actual emotional story tho.

Long Shadows was pretty good. i didn't recognize the name of the arc, but looking it up, it's the first storyline with Dick Grayson as Batman. as a big fan of Grayson, i couldn't NOT like it. it doesn't hit the highs of Batman & Robin (but what does?) but it was a solid story that helps solidify Dick as owning the role.

Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? is Gaiman/Kubert, so, yeah, if you haven't read it, you should.  It's very good.

I'm kinda looking forward to DK3, moreseo since it sounds like Miller isn't drawing it and Azzarello appears to be involved in the writing.  DK Returns wasn't particularly good, and I've generally found Miller's output since Daredevil to be well done, rather than entertaining.  But.... I kinda enjoyed All-Star Batman.  It's a ridiculous car crash, but it's enjoyable in a turn-off-your-brain way.  Either Miller is minimally involved and his name is on the book to sell a lot of copies - or he really is writing Master Race and it will be absurd mess every bit as incoherent and offensive as the title suggests.

See, I enjoyed All Star Batman & Robin a good deal as well. The thing is I also bothered to read Holy Terror (which started life as a Batman tale and really still seems like a barely changed one) and... yikes. It's the rare time I actually enjoyed Frank Miller's artwork but it is particularly not good at all. Again I am still interested but the possibility of abject disaster is very much in play (which would also be interesting).

I must be in full-on curmudgeon mode, but I thought that Gaiman book was horribly overrated and really not very entertaining at all. And pales considerably to Moore's Superman book. BUt I also haven't liked much of anything Gaiman has done in years. 

Same with Miller. I really grew bored with Sin CIty eventually, never cared for 300 and the less said about the Spirit movie, the better.

I really fucking loved All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder.  Enough that I still type out the full title.

Frank had just reached the point where he was going to actually show what he promised, how they became the classic Dynamic Duo, and...  It stopped.

Then a couple years went by and they announced Dark Knight/Boy Wonder, a six issue mini to wrap it up.  And...  Nothing.

I don't want The Master Race until I get Dark Knight/Boy Wonder goddammit.

An important point of editing. It has infuriated me enough to take me out of a book twice now that Flamingo has been used as a filler villain and had him speak which, part of his deal is that he can't.

Then again, it always bugs me when a villain is used in a throwaway spot in a way that completely opposes the actual character or just feels like a parody of themselves. Bane gets either a lot.