DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I pull Batman in singles then also nab the hardcovers because I really dig Snyder's run and Capullo's art and thus greedily want both immediate and bookshelf copies. I did the same with Grant Morrison's though worse because I own three copies of Arkham Asylum (1st print softcover, 15th in both HC and SC and allllmost bought 1st HC as well before deciding that was crossing the rubicon to crazy)

Anyway, today I bought Batman #40 in digital because I didn't want to wait out my next LCS visit. It was worth it.

I dug Batman 40 as well. It explains the whole GCPD Batman chapter coming up. I don't expect the story to last longer than a year, if even that much, but it will be interesting to see just what Snyder will be doing with Gotham in the mean time.

Finally caught up on Fables since I'd laid off it for a while. I'm really digging the short "Last Stories of..." segments showing what happens to the non-primary characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Batman: Heart of Hush. I liked getting more depth with Hush's character, and I'm always a fan of the Selina/Bruce shipping. My favorite part though is probably the epilogue that keeps Selina from being a simple damsel in distress for the story. I wasn't the most interested when it started, but it seemed to get better and better as I read it. Good read.

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. Not sure how I feel about this one. I liked the idea of it, but it didn't do much for me on the whole.

Batman: Battle for the Cowl. An 8-12 issue story compressed into 3 issues. That is what I ultimately felt on this one. I enjoyed it. i thought the plot and subplots were actually quite solid with some real potential, but none of it really had the proper time to breath. Its all just so rushed sadly. You don't even get an explanation on what happened to Selina who disappears after being attacked by Jason like Tim was. It really annoys me as i think this could have been quite great given the time and better writer. Daniel does a decent enough job with what he is given, but still was a bit lacking, especially in his writing of Damian.

Batman: Long Shadows. Thought this was pretty good. It worked well with Dick moving on from Bruce's death and showing how different he would operate as Batman from Bruce. it also worked as a nice continuation of the Black Mask subplot from Battle of Cowl.

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn. Similar to Long Shadows, but it goes further, providing new threats for a new Batman and going in depth on the Dick/Damien dynamic. I really enjoyed this one. I liked how much Flamingo came off as a force of nature, and loved the idea behind Jason's Red Hood this time around trying to be a more modern hero for Gotham. Great read.

So are any of the non-Morrison books after this point worth checking out aside from Snyder's work?

I was talking more the actual books about Batman. I read the first volume of Batgirl, thought it was solid enough. Always felt it would be a bit weird to jump in on Red Robin w/o reading ,much of what came before it. I'm curious about Azrael though I wanted to finish the original Azrael series first.

Yeah. That was Winick's good little four to five issue run writing Dick was.

Azrael was pretty good and a surprisingly challenging book that went to some dark places. Unfortunately due to low orders the last trade didn't get produced so if you're reading that way you miss the prophecy payoff and jump to him being kind of a villain again back in Batman without much in the way of an explanation.

It's hella frustrating that they didn't print that trade is what I'm saying. See also the final volume of Manhunter.

Azrael was pretty good and a surprisingly challenging book that went to some dark places. Unfortunately due to low orders the last trade didn't get produced so if you're reading that way you miss the prophecy payoff and jump to him being kind of a villain again back in Batman without much in the way of an explanation.

It's hella frustrating that they didn't print that trade is what I'm saying. See also the final volume of Manhunter.

I was just lamenting on Twitter yesterday that the trade collecting the 'second feature' of Manhunter in Streets of Gotham. Other recentish trades DC solicited but cancelled:

- new printing of the first trade of Impulse

- new printing of the second trade of Suicide Squad

- Sparta USA (David Lapham Vertigo book)

- the last trade of the most recent run on REBELS

still hurts...

I was just lamenting on Twitter yesterday that the trade collecting the 'second feature' of Manhunter in Streets of Gotham. Other recentish trades DC solicited but cancelled:

- new printing of the first trade of Impulse

- new printing of the second trade of Suicide Squad

- Sparta USA (David Lapham Vertigo book)

- the last trade of the most recent run on REBELS

still hurts...

Man. Sparta USA was one of Lapham's better books too. Weird as shit and halfway between Lapham's style and Jason Aaron's which fits since they were boardmates at the time.

I miss Standard Attrition.

• 2 weeks later...

After I pick up my pull today I'll be a full 4 weeks behind in my reading, but I really hope that all this won't be as confusing as it sounds! 

CONVERGENCE SPOILERS!

http://www.newsarama.com/24643-major-spoilers-dc-s-convergence-concludes-undoes-crisis.html

Ugh.  I'm hugely in favor of the endgame, but my head hurts trying to figure this out,  I guess pretty much everything is canon, now?

After I pick up my pull today I'll be a full 4 weeks behind in my reading, but I really hope that all this won't be as confusing as it sounds! 

CONVERGENCE SPOILERS!

http://www.newsarama.com/24643-major-spoilers-dc-s-convergence-concludes-undoes-crisis.html

Will be interesting to see what, if any, of the previous universes might get actual minis or ongoings.

Sort of. Hypertime for a period later condensed into the 52 universes with the keystone timelines each evolving into one of Morrison's Multiversity worlds.

Basically the original Crisis was averted so instead of the push pull it was a stable drop which kept elements of each previous universe. I think.

Convergence was probably the most fun I've had with a DC event book (not counting Multiversity) since Final Crisis.