DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

I think one of my greatest regrets with Wally's kids was we never really got a fun series of stories with Iris as Impulse

with Captain Carrot back in play can I start praying for the return of 'Mazin Man?

James

Batwoman (Vol. 3): World’s Finest collects Batwoman #0 and #12-17. In Batwoman #12-17, Batwoman teams with Wonder Woman to stop an organization called Medusa using monsters from mythology targeting Gotham’s children. Batwoman #0 retells Batwoman’s origin from Batwoman: Elegy with some new additions. I used to read Batwoman via Batman Legends now called Batman, a monthly UK magazine reprinting recent Batman stories but unfortunately Batwoman #5 was the last one printed. Shame as I really like the character, Batwoman: Elegy is brilliant and I very much enjoyed Batwoman #1-5.

Batwoman (Vol. 3): World’s Finest is a great read for the story and art, seeing Batwoman/Wonder Woman team in Batwoman #12-17, the supernatural/mythological threat and developments related to Batwoman. The added bonus of this book was collecting Batwoman #0, an issue I wanted to read on release but wasn’t able to. It was worth the wait, ditto for my first Batwoman book since the aforementioned Batwoman #5 so the story so far page helped. I’d highly recommend Batwoman: Elegy as the best Batwoman book you can get but if you want a one issue introduction to her world, Batwoman #0 it is. Batwoman, Kate Kane is one of the best characters created in modern comics with Damian Wayne, Otto Octavius as the Superior Spider-Man and the Winter Soldier.

Batwoman (Vol. 4): This Blood is Thick collects Batwoman #18-24. Batwoman works for the Department of Extranormal Operations to protect her family from them. Batwoman is tasked to bring someone in I won’t spoil who. This was a great read looking at what you’ll do for family, the research carried out by Batwoman and her loved ones to bring the target in. Sadly this was the end of JH Williams III and W. Haden Blackman, the co-writers run leaving due to editorial interference. Good on them for taking a stand.

That still pissed me off to no end. Always felt like DC cancelled the last two issues of that arc to punish the pissed off readers more than anything else. The 25th issue was even completed before they cancelled it. I couldn't even be bothered to read the annual by Andreyko who finished up the arc. Didn't hear good things bout his run at all so I'm glad I jumped off though I miss my Batwoman. I do hope they bring the book back at some point with Rucka and/or Williams.

• Like 2

That still pissed me off to no end. Always felt like DC cancelled the last two issues of that arc to punish the pissed off readers more than anything else. The 25th issue was even completed before they cancelled it. I couldn't even be bothered to read the annual by Andreyko who finished up the arc. Didn't hear good things bout his run at all so I'm glad I jumped off though I miss my Batwoman. I do hope they bring the book back at some point with Rucka and/or Williams.

I save my comic book reviews in a document and my review for the next volume was typed up before your post.

Batwoman (Vol. 5): Webs collects Batwoman #25, Batwoman Annual #1 and Batwoman #26-34. Marc Andreyko is the new writer and Jeremy Haun is mostly the new artist as the previous creative team, JH Williams III/W. Haden Blackman left due to editorial interference. Batwoman #25 tries to conclude the storyline from the previous issue, the last of Williams III/Blackman. A decent job at it but the way Williams III described what he and Blackman were going to do, shame that didn’t come to pass. Batwoman Annual #1 is a forced tie in to Zero Year before Kate Kane becomes Batwoman and this is coming from someone who likes origin/early day stories. Batwoman #26-31 sees Batwoman going up against a thief of paintings, the Wolf Spider while Maggie Sawyer is fighting for custody of her child. Story was mediocre and dragged. Batwoman #32-34 was slightly better as Kate Kane runs into a blast from the past and faces Nocturna as her alter ego.

On its own this book is average if I’m kind but worse when compared to the Williams III/Blackman and Rucka/Williams III creative teams. It’s sad seeing Batwoman fall like this. Hope Batwoman gets a better creative team. No bonus material either which is rare for books collecting comics originally published in singles. I’m guessing because DC didn’t think people would pick it up with the new creative team, drop in quality and pissed fans.

---

Needless to say we're in agreement, Eivion. Outta likes.

The only worthwhile thing Andreyko did on Batwoman was the direction he went with Alice. I would love to Kate come back, with Alice, under Rucka or someone else who knows how to properly write her. Her book was one of my favorites when JH Williams III/W. Haden Blackman were on it and I loved Elegy as well. Hell, I "named" one of my cars Kate! The other is "named" Babs, for those curious.

• Like 1

Batman #41. The new arc is off to a solid start. I like how they sold Gordon on things. I like that there actually is a regular batsuit. Also dig Julia still being around and am curious to see where things go.

Batman #41. The new arc is off to a solid start. I like how they sold Gordon on things. I like that there actually is a regular batsuit. Also dig Julia still being around and am curious to see where things go.

i was not feeling the Gordon-as-Batman thing at all after the Divergence bit. but i have to say, Batman #41 was a really good issue and i'm down to see what happens now.

Batman #41. I usually read recent Batman books by Batman, a monthly UK magazine collecting them. Endgame will be ending in that series over the next issues. I read Free Comic Book Day 2015: Divergence #1 featuring James Gordon’s first appearance as Batman. I have an interest in a hero getting replaced by their student/friend if the hero is alive advising them or if the hero is dead and the replacement who knew the original hero wanting to do right by him/her. I jumped ahead and bought Batman #41.

I right enjoyed Batman #41 seeing Jim Gordon as Gotham City’s new Batman, the Bat signal shining down from a blimp and how Gordon was talked into becoming Batman. I laughed at Gordon saying the suit “it’s like a…bunny. Like a robobat-bunny?” which are actual real life complaints about the design when it was revealed and the suit’s designer saying they could change the colours showing The Dark Knight Returns, I’d say Dennis O’Neil/Neil Adams or Batman: The Animated Series Batman, Batman of Zur-en-Arrh (!) and the Zero Year sleeveless look. Not sure if I get the next issue or just wait for the previously mentioned Batman UK magazine to collect the Gordon-Bats/Jim-Bats/Robo-Bats run.

DC's article exploring the new Batsuit:

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/06/12/explore-batmans-new-batsuit

• Like 1

DC You is great so far. All the Palmiotti/Conner books are terrific, Green Arrow was really good, and for the first time since Morrison left I'm jazzed about Superman stuff. Batman is really good as well and the refreshing of that line continues well. Still have to read the first full issues of Prez and Dr.Fate but the previews ruled...lots to like. And finally VARIETY.

Darkseid War started hot too. Anyone check out Hitch's JLA yet? I'm interested but $6 is steep (especially after the exchange as a Canadian right now) and I don't actually love Hitch's art.

I read Sinestro #12, Midnighter #1, Wonder Woman #41, and Superman/Wonder Woman #18.

I'm interested in the eventual remaining Green Lanterns vs. Sinestro Corps one-sided fight that will eventually happen. This was a by the numbers Daddy Issues book, but it's subtly acknowledged that Soranik is going to be Sinestro's downfall as he cares enough about his daughter to try and put up a complex false front to calm her fears about him while he's much more open to everyone else about his plans to save his people and fight a depleted Green Lantern Corps.

Midnighter could be fun and I'm pretty sure he used his powers to sleep with his date for the night. His Grindr-esque profile states that he's headbutted demons so it's not like he's hiding he's a super powered individual seems partially due to Lois outing Superman.

Wonder Woman solo was pretty good setting up the God of War getting ready to take back his title from the current Goddess of War. Goddess of War Wonder Woman using her full powers could be fun.

Supes and WW have a nice relationship where she's even somewhat comfortable meeting Clark's first love. Even though Superman is very vulnerable someone's still targeting him mentally as someone is trying to erase everything about his past. So an angry powerless Superman and Wonder Woman get to take on the Suicide Squad next month. Harley knocking around Superman is gonna be real fun

How are the Superman books? My knee-jerk reaction to hearing Lois outed Clark was highly annoyed, but I've calmed since then and am somewhat curious where things are heading..

It's not without flaws but it's Greg Pak, Pete Tomasi, and Gene Luen Yang so writing wise it's in good hands. I like that he's most physically vulnerable at the time his identity blows and Superman riding a motorcycle around the US in a tshirt and jeans is fun in its own right. But it's also put him in a genuinely interesting place for maybe the first time in the New 52. It's the most hyped I've been for non-Morrison Supes since...New Krypton? Infinite Crisis?

Darkseid War started hot too. Anyone check out Hitch's JLA yet? I'm interested but $6 is steep (especially after the exchange as a Canadian right now) and I don't actually love Hitch's art.

I liked it. It's got some interesting ideas in it. And it's nice to see the JLA actually acting like heroes instead of constantly fighting each other. Barry and Hal act like putzes, but that didn't bother me since I dislike them both.

Section Eight is even more brutal toward the DCU as a whole than Hitman was.  And for some reason, I found the opening sequence really depressing; a series like this has to start with Sixpack falling off the wagon, and I get that they were going for laughs, but something about it made me cringe and not in a good way. The recap and everything after he wanders into Noonan's was ace, though.

• Like 1

just read Batman- City of Crime (from Detective Comics #801-808 & 811-814). this is a slow-moving psychological thriller of a Batman tale that goes to some dark places. i really enjoyed it. don't think i've ever heard it mentioned, so wanted to give it some props.

City of Crime is a bit of a mess of a story that's still very good but not quite great due to a number of factors.

I know David Lapham has said he was disappointed in it due to the art, not because of any issue with Ramon Bachs work but because it was written for Bill Sienkiewicz who ended up being removed at the last minute. Bachs style is obviously entirely different and the first few issues were a rush job due to the late change so it doesn't look how Lapham had it in mind. Which in turn took a lot of his energy away for the last half of the writing and left it something he's not super thrilled with.

Again, I think it's a good little run but could have been better.

Been catching up with the Fables the last month or so. Last thing I read was Cubs in Toyland last year which was damn depressing but pretty good. The follow up on the events happening in Fabletown during the same time frame in Snow White were interesting though a step down somewhat writing wise. Bigby's fall especially didn't quite bring on the emotional impact it probably should have. The ongoing story in Camelot & Happily Ever After picked things up again though I fear things ending kind of horribly for my favorite family in the series by the time the series ends. Was nice seeing the type of damage Bigby really could dish out. Hate what happened to Beast though Ozma's fate felt a long time coming as I never felt she could really back up her boasts in ability & power. Bufkin's story and fate was sweet and good ending for him. The last story back-ups have interesting, especially with another great war coming in the future. I'm sort of expecting both Rose & Snow to bite it. It feels pretty much guaranteed with Snow. I have say though I would be kind of pissed though if Rose survived and Snow didn't at this point. Even with things clearly manipulating Rose's mind the current situation really does feel like its been brought upon by Rose's absolute arrogance and non-nonchalant attitude towards Brandish. I've kind of been back and forth on how much I like Rose throughout this series, but that particular situation really did leave me hating her. Taking that and her personality going full villain after learning the truth of her heritage, I'm not really seeing a real final redemption for her.