DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

today the last digital issue of Jiro Kuwata's Bat-Manga was released. for those that don't know, it was a Batman manga produced only in Japan in the 60s that was never seen stateside. this is where Lord Death Man from Grant Morrison's run came from. i have followed this from the word go, 53 weeks ago, and have loved every story and issue. just wanted to give it some props.

Went ahead and went through Fairest over the last week. I found the stories a slightly mixed in quality since Willingham wasn't writing all of them but I generally found myself positive towards them. The Briar Rose/Snow Queen story was good. Had no ideas where Hadeon had come from when I was reading Fables a few months ago so its nice to know where. I love how the story is particularly solved with Briar handing Hadeon her ass. It was a glorious beatdown. Lamia sucked. I didn't think it read well and it was an unnecessary twist at this juncture for the Beauty character. I liked the idea of Hidden City, but something about it felt a bit rushed. I was also a bit annoyed as I knew it wasn't going to really go anywhere on the Rapunzel's stolen children front. The Return of Maharaja was probably the best of the regular series stories. It kept the most in line with Willingham's style and was a fun Charming story. I was a bit surprised though that they wen the route of him having never died instead of simply being reborn. Of Mice and Men was solid. Not a favorite, but I always enjoy whenever Cinderella's in the lead role. It did make Rose Red looking even more stupid though for how she handled Brandish. Fairest in All the Land was probably the best story though I wasn't happy with how many were left dead. It worked for the particular story WIllingham told, but it also felt like him trying to tie up loose ends quickly and setting up other things for his grand finale as some characters wouldn't make sense to still be in Fabletown otherwise. Still it was nice to see the Business Office story resolved, get more Cindy, and see a generally solid mystery though I wasn't the biggest fan one of the culprits.

Superman by Landis sounds good. The Neal Adams series has a lot of crazy to live up to but I'll check it out.

The post-Convergence titles are...interesting. Titans Hunt especially.

But the real thing is the added details about DK3. Oversized slipcased hardcovers with 16 page smaller insert comics set in the universe? Even the format is weird and I need to check it out.

Grant Morrison to write another Batman book announced at SDCC 2015:

Morrison also provided early details on another series of original graphic novels: "Batman: Black & White." A continuation on the "Batman: Black & White" concept seen in previous DC Comics titles and collections, the line features Morrison pairing with rotating artists on stories taking place in the world of the Dark Knight. "It ties into the Multiversity because each of these stories is a different take on Batman." Morrison said there's a Zurr-en-arrh Batman story that stars the daughter of the original Batman and a Bat-mage story. He also said there is a story that focuses on all of Bruce Wayne and Batman's girlfriends.

On his upcoming "Black & White" project, which he calls his "final word on Batman":

I'm basically doing a "Batman: Black & White," which is my final word on Batman, probably. But I always say it's gonna be my final word on Batman. … I kind of thought it would be interesting to do a fine art Batman and maybe we'll get a couple people in there that readers will be familiar with from the comic business. Most of these people tend to do gallery shows or take photographs and it was just a way of doing a bunch of Batman stories in that black and white format and showcase a completely different type of art talent and completely different views of Batman. So somewhere we'll be doing a Batman of Zurr-en-arrh story which is one of the weirdest things you've ever seen. Different takes on Batman.

Credit: comicbookresources.com

You'll either really like or really won't like this news. I sure do.

• Like 1

Twenty-Seven written by Scott Snyder for Detective Comics #27 Special Edition to celebrate 75 Years of Batman in 2014. The story is creative as both a future take while respecting the past with Bruce Wayne as Batman. There are great references to an iconic scene in Batman: Year One when Bruce says he’ll become a Bat, the Joker playing card in the Batcave and Crime Alley. After finishing the story, I read it again as it’s that brilliant. One of Scott Snyder’s best ever stories.

• 2 weeks later...

Grant Morrison to write another Batman book announced at SDCC 2015:

Morrison also provided early details on another series of original graphic novels: "Batman: Black & White." A continuation on the "Batman: Black & White" concept seen in previous DC Comics titles and collections, the line features Morrison pairing with rotating artists on stories taking place in the world of the Dark Knight. "It ties into the Multiversity because each of these stories is a different take on Batman." Morrison said there's a Zurr-en-arrh Batman story that stars the daughter of the original Batman and a Bat-mage story. He also said there is a story that focuses on all of Bruce Wayne and Batman's girlfriends.

On his upcoming "Black & White" project, which he calls his "final word on Batman":

I'm basically doing a "Batman: Black & White," which is my final word on Batman, probably. But I always say it's gonna be my final word on Batman. … I kind of thought it would be interesting to do a fine art Batman and maybe we'll get a couple people in there that readers will be familiar with from the comic business. Most of these people tend to do gallery shows or take photographs and it was just a way of doing a bunch of Batman stories in that black and white format and showcase a completely different type of art talent and completely different views of Batman. So somewhere we'll be doing a Batman of Zurr-en-arrh story which is one of the weirdest things you've ever seen. Different takes on Batman.

Credit: comicbookresources.com

You'll either really like or really won't like this news. I sure do.

Happy Grant Morrison's returning and we're getting a Batman of Zurr-En-Arrh story. I'm hoping we get Batman #666 and Dick Grayson as Batman stories. Any others?

• 2 weeks later...

I received Batman: Second Chances as a birthday gift from my MIL, being a big Jason Todd fan, I was pretty excited about it. I don't understand why they started with Batman 402-403 which barely features pre-crisis Jason Todd as Robin & then jumped to Batman 408 which features his first meeting with post-crisis Jason Todd boosting the tires off the Batmobile. If they weren't going to go more in depth, why show the Pre-Crisis Todd at all? Wouldn't this just serve to confuse people who didn't know? Also, why not include the Diplomat's Son story? Once I'm done reading this I think I'll pick that up digitally via Comixology.  

• 2 weeks later...

Grayson: Agents of Spyral. Its not really where I wanted Dick, but its generally good and feels fresh at the very least. I like that even with the very different setting Dick still manages to be himself. I like the relationship with Helena and how well she works with Dick both as partner & slight antagonist. I'm curious to see though just how long this can go and where they take it when its all said and done as the story seems limited with Dick's current goal.

Catwoman: Keeper of the Castle. I honestly haven't read anything past Winnick's run so I don't know how much I missed only seeing the broad strokes of Selina's transformation into her current role in Batman Eternal. Still I found the story easy to get into and well written. I enjoy the complications Selina runs into trying to protect her new family and use their name for the good of Gotham all while making these moral sacrifices of herself that have to add up if she keeps going down her current path. I also like the current relationship with the current Catwoman. Its interesting seeing Eiko clearly hold admiration & infatuation with Selina. Its another story bit I'm curious to see where it all leads. I was worried when I heard and saw Snyder transform Selina into the Kingpin, but the actual writing by Valentine has delivered.

Justice League: Injustice League. Luthor has taken over a lot of the book, but I'm actually digging it a good deal. I like the effect Forever Evil left on him with whatever is coming scaring him enough to appeal to join the JL so strongly.  Its adding some interesting things to Luthor's relationship with Clark & Bruce as well though I'm hoping the latter doesn't stick. The Doom Patrol arc was solid and probably more what people would have wanted from the group. I'm hoping there will be more as the connection/rivalry between Luthor & Chief was pushed strongly here. Jessica Cruz as Power Ring is a potentially interesting addition though I have trouble seeing her story end well. I like Vic & Captain Marvel's relationship. Marvel in particular doesn't come off like the bratty version we saw of Billy in the origin story back-ups. The Amazo Virus was another story I dug. It left things in interesting places and put a new spin on Amazo. Good read all around. Johns seems to have hit his stride in his post Forever Evil work and building of the Darkseid War.

I dug that they were the opener. And that was basically the ideal Batman 66 style Bane and the only time I'm down with him being turned into a burly Luchador.

Darkseid War is maybe the best Geoff Johns epic since Blackest Night. It's been heating up nicely and stuff stepped up this issue. Feels like it should be longer than what's currently planned honestly.

I dug that they were the opener. And that was basically the ideal Batman 66 style Bane and the only time I'm down with him being turned into a burly Luchador.

i also dug incorporating the Dark Knight Rises breathing apparatus with his Lucha/more classic look.

LOVE Batman '66, although i miss the dc2 motion aspect of it.

I still don't believe anyone used that dumb terminology aside from Rich who has gone out of his way to push it. Otherwise I could totally see something kike that happening after the financial loss. The thing is the changes and pushes are all pretty new so it feels a bit early to blame the loss on them.

Likewise, I'm not really convinced that the recent "soft reboot" is the culprit, but.... imo, DC has gotten carried away with experimentation.  In theory, I like that they're willing to try something different when it comes to greenlighting books, but so many books the past few years have struck me as being DOA in terms of long-term sales potential.  Titles like Mr. Terrific, OMAC, Vibe - really, Vibe? - get greenlit but don't seem like something that's going to be around 2 or 3 years from now.  The soft reboot this summer introduced an awful lot of new titles built around characters that aren't proven commodities when it comes to selling a title.

From my perspective the other issue is that DC is pushing too hard for the next indy superstar.  Relatively few of their titles right now are written by people I'm familiar with.  I mostly buy monthlies based on who the writer is, so I'm a lot more likely to spend money on a title written by Johns or James Robinson than I am someone whose work I'm not familiar with.   There are a number of DC titles right now I'd be willing to take a chance on, but I either don't want to look up the guy's previous work, or I picked up some creator-owned stuff he did and was turned off.

I get that DC is hoping to turn up the next Lemire or Hickman and odds are they will, but, as the article said, I think the market right now is fairly conservative.  Cover prices are high enough that it can become an expensive hobby very quickly, so it seems like readers gravitate towards proven characters or creators.  You don't need both, but an unproven writer on a fringe book is a dicey proposition.

From my perspective the other issue is that DC is pushing too hard for the next indy superstar.  Relatively few of their titles right now are written by people I'm familiar with.  I mostly buy monthlies based on who the writer is, so I'm a lot more likely to spend money on a title written by Johns or James Robinson than I am someone whose work I'm not familiar with.   There are a number of DC titles right now I'd be willing to take a chance on, but I either don't want to look up the guy's previous work, or I picked up some creator-owned stuff he did and was turned off.

Isn't some of that editorial chasing off other writers and wanting people they can control?